Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Jankowski on the PK is soooo meh. He’s like one of those cardboard Fatheads on a pair of skates just mildly getting in the way.

what this team lacks:
-a reliable faceoff guy outside of Sid.
-another PK center outside of Teddy.

It’s also sad how obvious it is to try:
Zucker-Sid-Kapanen
Jake-Geno-Rust
but Sully just won’t do it, likely due to Sid. We nearly missed the “playoffs” last year largely in part to our Captain coming back and seemingly demanding Guentzel back when GMR was tearing apart the league. Rust and Jake have proven to have chemistry with both of our top 2 C’s. Geno is struggling this year to get into any kind of groove. What better way to get Geno back on track than to put him with our best two wingers and let them feast on second pairings? Sid’s line would still see the toughest matchups.

It really just points towards the fact Sully and Co. need to go sooner rather than later. We need a coach who has the guts to respectfully remind Sid that this isn’t the Crosby Show and do what’s best for the team.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
He played 4th line C for Vegas last year.
He played 7 regular season games in Vegas where he took 36 faceoffs and then in 17 playoff games he took 30 faceoffs. If he did play a little center in Vegas it was in name only and Vegas was mostly covering his lack of faceoff skills with someone else.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Jankowski on the PK is soooo meh. He’s like one of those cardboard Fatheads on a pair of skates just mildly getting in the way.

what this team lacks:
-a reliable faceoff guy outside of Sid.
-another PK center outside of Teddy.

It’s also sad how obvious it is to try:
Zucker-Sid-Kapanen
Jake-Geno-Rust
but Sully just won’t do it, likely due to Sid. We nearly missed the “playoffs” last year largely in part to our Captain coming back and seemingly demanding Guentzel back when GMR was tearing apart the league. Rust and Jake have proven to have chemistry with both of our top 2 C’s. Geno is struggling this year to get into any kind of groove. What better way to get Geno back on track than to put him with our best two wingers and let them feast on second pairings? Sid’s line would still see the toughest matchups.

It really just points towards the fact Sully and Co. need to go sooner rather than later. We need a coach who has the guts to respectfully remind Sid that this isn’t the Crosby Show and do what’s best for the team.

Every coach eventually caves to Sid. It might not happen right away but a new coach will eventually just start caving as well

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
When on Earth did I say Archibald is an upgrade?

Read my post again. I'm saying we should've kept Archibald. I said Tanev is the better player, but to say they aren't comparable is laughable. I'm not even into advanced stats and their analytics are comparable. He's half as much annually and signed for one more season versus four more seasons. That's just a bad contract. Not a bad player, just a bad contract. If Tanev loses his speed, it's over for him.

Archibald sucks! Tanev is awesome! Enough said and you even wanting Archibald lets me know I don't want to continue this. Archibald does not move the needle one bit on making us a better team. Suggesting trading McCann for him is criminal. Hopefully our new GM's are better at trading.

Rutherford was great at it even though some still laughably don't realize it. They talk about prospects and picks given up and in all our years of trading both over the past 15 years only two turned out and one we just got back.

When you compare that to all the guys we have added just I'm the past few years that are young in in primes such as Pettersson, Marino, POJ, and Matheson on defense and Kapanen, Zucker, and McCann on offense it is pretty obvious those picks and prospects never come close to that group.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s almost as if the Pens could have signed three of these guys this past off season.
It's almost as if you're completely ignoring the current usage of the top 6 and how we're still not seeing the correct line-up usage and you think somehow, spending more cap on players that this coach will misuse is a better solution.

Sullivan literally had a raging hard-on talking about the addition of Jankowski. Sullivan had his targets and we got them. This is the world we live in.

Jankowski sucks, yet he's still playing regular minutes, you ever ask yourself why? We have Gaudreau that probably should have gotten at least a game or two, to make Jank sit but he hasn't.

Reactions: ZorkEnchanter

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Nashville didn’t learn a single thing from what’s happening. It’s clear that you build a team with Centers but their only untouchables pieces are 2 Ds and a goalie...? Doesn’t make sense.

I’d trade Josi and Ellis too. Restart.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Nashville didn’t learn a single thing from what’s happening. It’s clear that you build a team with Centers but their only untouchables pieces are 2 Ds and a goalie...? Doesn’t make sense.

Maybe they aren't thinking quite clearly...trade us Ellis and Ekholm for Letang and Dumo they will. After that I sense some team will trade us their 1st round pick for Petts I do.

Ekholm-Ellis
Matheson-Marino
POJ-Ceci

I just rebuilt our D. No problem.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Everyone knew coming into this season that Kapanen wouldn't fit in the top 6. He has poor hockey IQ and zero vision outside 45 degrees. He's a mix of Sheary and Grabner, but lacks Sheary's give and go game that Sid and Geno like.

It was an awful trade from the beginning. He will be in the bottom 6 soon, wouldn't be surprising to see him scratched when Rodrigues and McCann return.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Poile the Foil had his brain scrambled when Horny sealed their fate in the finals.

Right after, homeboy went bat shit crazy collecting center's.

Bonino
Granlund
Turris
Duchene

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
10 forwards currently on the Predators are a variation of centers that can also play wing.

He got beat by Sid, Geno, Bones, and Cullen. Then decided 80% of his damn line-up should be able to switch to being a center.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
As a strict rental, and from a team that’s already considered a seller, I can’t see a better fourth line center than Luke Glendening.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin

FWIW I would not want to build around Nashville's centers, aside from what Ryan Johansen did in the 2017 playoffs they've just never had any centers that did anything that really stood out except for maybe Legwand being Koltsov fast.

At this point I think the best thing they could maybe try is a 2011-2012 Flyers style quick teardown and retool with absolutely no untouchables from the current roster. Poile just needs to go and I think he will soon enough.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As a strict rental, and from a team that’s already considered a seller, I can’t see a better fourth line center than Luke Glendening.
I'd rather they didn't go for just a rental. We've seen so much instability in the bottom 6 since the cup wins, having Blueger to lean on and grow more in the 3c role is all this team ever really needed to do to sort that out and now the 4th line is where the team needs to figure things out. It's why I mentioned Cousins. He has another year on his deal, is dirt cheap but has a ton of experience for 27yrs old, plays with an edge and is also a relentless puck hound like Glendening.

Because really - Rodrigues, Jankowski, Sceviour, Gaudreau...they're rentals.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
10 forwards currently on the Predators are a variation of centers that can also play wing.

He got beat by Sid, Geno, Bones, and Cullen. Then decided 80% of his damn line-up should be able to switch to being a center.
Building from the D/G is no bueno.

Just look a the Habs how they struggled since 1993 to build without Cs.

Look at the Sharks now with Burns/Karlsson/Vlasic

Nashville had Josi/Ellis/Weber and then Traded Weber for Subban.

I can probably name 10+ teams that struggled with the same issue. That shit just doesn’t work.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Everyone knew coming into this season that Kapanen wouldn't fit in the top 6. He has poor hockey IQ and zero vision outside 45 degrees. He's a mix of Sheary and Grabner, but lacks Sheary's give and go game that Sid and Geno like.

It was an awful trade from the beginning. He will be in the bottom 6 soon, wouldn't be surprising to see him scratched when Rodrigues and McCann return.

It must be fun to have the IQ heavy wings of Vegas, Tampa, Boston and Toronto instead of the trash we have...

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
FWIW I would not want to build around Nashville's centers, aside from what Ryan Johansen did in the 2017 playoffs they've just never had any centers that did anything that really stood out except for maybe Legwand being Koltsov fast.

At this point I think the best thing they could maybe try is a 2011-2012 Flyers style quick teardown and retool with absolutely no untouchables from the current roster. Poile just needs to go and I think he will soon enough.

Me too. That’s why I think that if they are willing to trade their best winger just blow it up already and start with Ellis/Josi. Go after picks/future and target Cs.

It will never work without good Cs.

Reactions: Ignatius

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I'd probably 100% hang on to Forsberg, also Ellis and Josi with those contracts are likely staying put.

Poile needed to be fired the moment he presented the idea of re-signing Rinne for 2yrs.

They should be moving on from RyJo, Duchene, and Arvidsson.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It must be fun to have the IQ heavy wings of Vegas, Tampa, Boston and Toronto instead of the trash we have...
The expansion helped some, some of those wingers that the GM's gave away are just f***ing unreal.

Oh hey you're new to the NHL? Let me f***ing gift you Marchessault for literally no reason and Alex Tuch because we're idiots in Florida and Minnesota.

f*** me.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's almost as if you're completely ignoring the current usage of the top 6 and how we're still not seeing the correct line-up usage and you think somehow, spending more cap on players that this coach will misuse is a better solution.

Sullivan literally had a raging hard-on talking about the addition of Jankowski. Sullivan had his targets and we got them. This is the world we live in.

Jankowski sucks, yet he's still playing regular minutes, you ever ask yourself why? We have Gaudreau that probably should have gotten at least a game or two, to make Jank sit but he hasn't.
Which is why I railed so hard against the signing of Janko. I knew this would happen. Which is why I was clamoring for pretty much anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->