Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
As I understand it, Friedman is supposed to be a really good skater, so there's at least some chance of this working out. I suppose it could be just Hextall bringing in guys who failed on the Flyers though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
As I understand it, Friedman is supposed to be a really good skater, so there's at least some chance of this working out. I suppose it could be just Hextall bringing in guys who failed on the Flyers though.
Oh good, another “good skater” player that sucks at everything else. Remember we had to hear about the skating and speed of the warm body free agents we signed heading into the season? The skating means nothing if they aren’t good players.

Hopefully he does other things beyond skating well.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The Pens roster yesterday only had 21 players on it. With DOC and POJ on the Taxi Squad. And Zucker still hasn't gone on any type of IR, so that'll free up an NHL roster spot. As far as the depth...

I'd prefer they don't waive, but no major loss if they're claimed [3]: Riikola (LTIR), Ruhwedel, Lafferty (apparently he just crossed the threshold of being waivers exempt)

I don't care if they waive [5]: Weber (currently Taxi Squad), Sceviour, Jankowski, Friedman (likely to stay on NHL), ERod (LTIR)

Waivers exempt [2]: DOC, POJ (both currently Taxi Squad)

Injured but not listed above [2]: Dumoulin, McCann

There's a bunch of scenarios to consider, but I think the roster count will be fine.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Oh good, another “good skater” player that sucks at everything else. Remember we had to hear about the skating and speed of the warm body free agents we signed heading into the season? The skating means nothing if they aren’t good players.

Do you legitimately wake up every morning saying “boy I’m glad the Penguins did something today so I can bitch about it?” Seriously I don’t think I have ever seen a post of yours that isn’t just bitching about everything. If you hate every move they make this much stop following them. I mean holy shit are you miserable

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Do you legitimately wake up every morning saying “boy I’m glad the Penguins did something today so I can bitch about it?” Seriously I don’t think I have ever seen a post of yours that isn’t just bitching about everything. If you hate every move they make this much stop following them. I mean holy shit are you miserable
No, I just don’t see the purpose behind this move. We have more pressing needs, and now Hextall has me worried he is going on some Flyer reclamation journey after making this head-scratcher decision.

I do like him taking a chance on a waiver player, but I’d like to see a forward brought in.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
It depends on how long Zucker is out for, but I expect one of our LD to be moved.

I'm sorry but I don't want Dumoulin moved unless the return is J.T. Miller or someone similar. Pettersson is by far our weakest LD right now and while Matheson has been playing well lately, nobody is going to want that contract right now given the term and cap hit. We're stuck with Matheson and Joseph has been good. It's really between Dumoulin and Pettersson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just because there's a ton of ways to solve the full roster and it won't come up immediately doesn't mean it's not worth speculating about how they plan to do it.

Right now we'd be carrying 9 dmen if all fit. That's really unlikely. They're unlikely to waive Friedman having gone out of their way to get him - maybe they will, maybe he's just temporary depth, but it's unlikely. Any dman in front of him that we waive will be a guy with a lot more proven NHL ability; I'd hope we're not waiving them when there is a little value.

And, crucially, we're sitting on a surplus of dmen and have both a) A GM who might like to recoup some assets to try and do a mini-rebuild on the fly b) A forward roster that's not working in its entirety. Waiving guys doesn't help us solve either of the above. Looking at trades does.

So... yeah, I figure ask the questions?

See, I really hope you're right with this, but I thought the same thing about Ovechkin and he apparently wants a decent raise on his next deal.

Logically I can say "why do you care about making more money when you've already made tens of millions in your career?", then I think about what I'd do in their shoes and I can't reasonably expect them to do that.

It's about respect as much as the money. That said, I feel like the Pens superstars have been more team friendly over the years than the Caps. Might be wrong?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
No, I just don’t see the purpose behind this move. We have more pressing needs, and now Hextall has me worried he is going on some Flyer reclamation journey after making this head-scratcher decision.

I do like him taking a chance on a waiver player, but I’d like to see a forward brought in.

He has literally made 1 move and you are now worried it will be a pattern...simply because you enjoy being negative and bitching. It was literally his first freaking move and you think that means it’s going to be what he does. That makes absolutely zero sense

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I mean, you could read the scouting reports and watch the footage and you'd have the answer to your question.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
See, I really hope you're right with this, but I thought the same thing about Ovechkin and he apparently wants a decent raise on his next deal.

Logically I can say "why do you care about making more money when you've already made tens of millions in your career?", then I think about what I'd do in their shoes and I can't reasonably expect them to do that.

Well, AO’s commercial value is a lot higher than Geno’s, but just the same it would seem pretty absurd for him to genuinely ask for a raise, IMO.
In any event personality wise they’re cut from different cloth.

Doesn’t mean I disagree with your point. They don’t owe anything, but I’d be more worried about Geno wanting to finish with Metallurg while still having gas than asking for an outrageous amount to stay with the Pens.

Anyway - that’ll be a thing come June 2022. We’ll see.

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020

It’s a riskless move for a free asset that might enable them to move another defenseman for the forward help you want

Just my two cents but don’t see what you could have an issue with here

Reactions: madinsomniac

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

You are acting like teams only get 1 transaction per season. It's a free waiver claim. When Hextall took the job they had 3 healthy d-men. It's not much of a headscratcher why he wouldn't mind adding depth at that position. Someone could offer you a free cookie and you would complain that it isn't chocolate chip.

Reactions: GlennTheFrog

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Mentioning injuries to justify running with a bad roster composition isn't exactly a great justification in my eyes.

Unless they have like 2 defensemen injured, I really don't see how running with 9 defensemen who require waivers is a good idea. And that's not even including POJ, who would likely get called up to the NHL roster in case of an injury.

it was a total joke... we know that one of the low end Defensemen is on his way out... probably cough drop since he seems to be totally buried here... or Ruh if they think Sully is overplaying him...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Lets also remember that Hextall isn’t a guy that strikes me as forgiving and when the flyers fired him, they made sure to have their friends in the press flame him hard on the way out...

If this was just a Screw you move to philly, im fine with it... free asset and I hate the flyers...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So the last page took a turn...and while I can't see it, I would bet my house on why it derailed.

Great addition to the discussion and I would.like to thank the mods for allowing it.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
don't discourage him. His perspective is one of the major draws to this board for me. See, every once in a while I have the thought creep in that maybe my perspective is totally outlandish. then I come read what PensX puts out there for the masses and I get to feel like I'm not the weird one anymore. I need this.

Reactions: Peat

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

It's not that deep, bro.

Reactions: GlennTheFrog

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

There was ample reason to doubt JR's decisions over the last few years, but a new GM deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Let's give Hextall a chance. Friedman seemed to be very well-liked by the Flyer fanbase, most of whom think he was an obvious choice to play on their bottom pairing over Hagg and Braun.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean honestly, the spot is open for now... its not like they wouldn’t fill that spot anyhow and its not tying up cap space any more than any other add to the roster would.... if you don’t think he cuts the mustard, you waive him again and no harm, no foul... if he turns into something worth keeping you move something else... not even a slight problem....

This is a complete non issue...

I mean it’s not like we burned a bridge to anyone who actually is worth caring about... screw philly... i hope we tender a rfa from them next... tell them Crosby’s teeth say hi....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, AO’s commercial value is a lot higher than Geno’s, but just the same it would seem pretty absurd for him to genuinely ask for a raise, IMO.
In any event personality wise they’re cut from different cloth.

Doesn’t mean I disagree with your point. They don’t owe anything, but I’d be more worried about Geno wanting to finish with Metallurg while still having gas than asking for an outrageous amount to stay with the Pens.

Anyway - that’ll be a thing come June 2022. We’ll see.

The last thing on anyone's mind right now should be Malkin's next contract.

The team needs to do something to help him out at ES, barring ZAR having a breakout offensive year. I'd give them a few games to see what happens, but I'm not optimistic.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There was ample reason to doubt JR's decisions over the last few years, but a new GM deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Let's give Hextall a chance. Friedman seemed to be very well-liked by the Flyer fanbase, most of whom think he was an obvious choice to play on their bottom pairing over Hagg and Braun.

And again, while scouting reports and videos are imperfect things, people are pretty unanimous in saying that he's got good mobility and an element of sandpaper in his game we don't have. I don't expect him to be anything more than, at most, a 3rd pairing RD if he pans out, but people pay through the nose for gritty d who can skate. Hell, people pay through the nose for gritty d who CAN'T skate. :laugh:

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And again, while scouting reports and videos are imperfect things, people are pretty unanimous in saying that he's got good mobility and an element of sandpaper in his game we don't have. I don't expect him to be anything more than, at most, a 3rd pairing RD if he pans out, but people pay through the nose for gritty d who can skate. Hell, people pay through the nose for gritty d who CAN'T skate. :laugh:

Yeah an asshole who can skate and play solid defense sounds pretty promising. We could use a player with a profile like that.

5b7d66aa3cccd126008b4581

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->