Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Trot man
young-man-schools-his-bay-horse-over-trotting-poles-in-oxfordshire-picture-id56799712

Czucz man
220px-Bishop_Georg_Heinrich_Maria_Kirstein_Colour_1.jpg

Fried man
man-chicken-m2.jpg

Is this a good post?

Good post

ExaltedHorribleLeech-max-1mb.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think age, contract length and potential return should all be considered. Dumo makes the most sense for all those reasons.
Dumoulin does and I've been saying he's the one that should go. But we've yet to see what this brain trust is capable of with this team and clowns like Morehouse and the ownership and their meddling.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you're going to criticize Matheson for only being on pace for 27 points, why not mention that he's only on pace to finish like +36 with good analytics, while playing 20 minutes a night in pretty heavy defensive deployment against good opposition?

That's not an exaggeration, Matheson has been used against the toughest competition and has gotten the most defensive deployments of any Penguins defenseman this year:

tv1YRbn.png

And he's giving good results analytically with this usage.

It’d be awesome if coaches would stop using him in this way lol.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dumoulin does and I've been saying he's the one that should go. But we've yet to see what this brain trust is capable of with this team and clowns like Morehouse and the ownership and their meddling.
We got a new regime in now. I don't think Hextall is a puppet by any means. I think he'll firmly place his thumb on the scale and make moves that lean heavily towards the future. Time will tell but I'm confident that'll be the case. If not I'll blame you and your wanker cronies!

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
We got a new regime in now. I don't think Hextall is a puppet by any means. I think he'll firmly place his thumb on the scale and make moves that lean heavily towards the future. Time will tell but I'm confident that'll be the case. If not I'll blame you and your wanker cronies!

The future is now

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Seems like a lot of criticism for the best team in the NHL in the cap era.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
They have to get rid of someone unless they don't want to have a spare forward, because they're at 12 F and 9 D as soon as Riikola is off LTIR. And they'll have to get rid of someone eventually when ERod comes back. With ERod back, they'll be at 24 players on the roster with O'Connor on the taxi squad.

And any of this is a.... problem?

latest

Oh, I see Randy had this.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I find it humorous that people are discussing roster space requirements as if there wont be four other guys on ltir soon....

there absolutely has to be an Indian burial ground under their arena....
Didn't they move the headstones but NOT the coffins?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
New management may try to tweak things at the deadline. But in the off season. Hopefully in a more normal year I think outside of Sid. They try to flip as much age for youth as they can achieve. Whether that means moving Geno, Tanger, etc. I think if this team falls on its face by the end of its season. The only 100% safe Penguin is Crosby. This season due to covid is a load of buck shot, combined with the virus and new management, shoot at the wall and see where the holes are. But this off season I see more changes for better or worse than we have seen with the Penguins in a long time. But I can really believe and say if the team does not got at least a round or two deep. At a minimum. There will be a drastically different team in terms of at least one of roster or coaching. If not both. That would be my prediction.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I would be shocked to see Geno or Letang moved. Why? Crosby. I think management will do right by him and part of that will be keeping those 2 around unless they ask to be moved. Everyone else will pretty much be fair game. That said I dont see any major moves happening until after next off season. I think there will be some tweaks this season, moderate amount of movement in the off season and the following off season will see some major movement. Covid will write off this year if they dont do well. One more kick at the can will happen after that.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I would be shocked to see Geno or Letang moved. Why? Crosby. I think management will do right by him and part of that will be keeping those 2 around unless they ask to be moved. Everyone else will pretty much be fair game. That said I dont see any major moves happening until after next off season. I think there will be some tweaks this season, moderate amount of movement in the off season and the following off season will see some major movement. Covid will write off this year if they dont do well. One more kick at the can will happen after that.

I have always had this notion in my head, that once their contracts end, Malkin and Letang will tell our GM - whoever that might be at the time - that they will take a great deal less to go a few more years and wrap up the era with Sid.
If you imagine (expect) that they decline some but still have special ability, that scenario would add a great deal of cap-room to put extra talent around them. Ultimately, at least for Geno, I think it is all about legacy and winning cups at this point.

Of course, that is only appealing if there's something left in those tanks come that time, but in any event I would never be OK with trading Geno unless he specifically asks for it. Letang.... same same but different. Would prefer to see him as a lifer as well - especially now that he would not yield the kind of return that would have once made the option somewhat attractive. Would be different if we truly had alternatives for him coming up at RD, but imagining that Maniscalco turns Marino'ish is a tough bet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I have always had this notion in my head, that once their contracts end, Malkin and Letang will tell our GM - whoever that might be at the time - that they will take a great deal less to go a few more years and wrap up the era with Sid.
If you imagine (expect) that they decline some but still have special ability, that scenario would add a great deal of cap-room to put extra talent around them. Ultimately, at least for Geno, I think it is all about legacy and winning cups at this point.

Of course, that is only appealing if there's something left in those tanks come that time, but in any event I would never be OK with trading Geno unless he specifically asks for it. Letang.... same same but different. Would prefer to see him as a lifer as well - especially now that he would not yield the kind of return that would have once made the option somewhat attractive. Would be different if we truly had alternatives for him coming up at RD, but imagining that Maniscalco turns Marino'ish is a tough bet.

Friedman is a bottom pairing RD. There are a ton of high quality RDs hitting UFA if we feel like investing money in it over Letang.

Reactions: Dominance

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Friedman is a bottom pairing RD. There are a ton of high quality RDs hitting UFA if we feel like investing money in it over Letang.

counting on players scheduled to be UFAs actually making it to the market is a fools errand... most worth a damn are either resigned or traded to a place they will resign with before they ever actually hit ufa

the ones that do get to ufa often either get gross overpayments or have already decided where they want to go and are signing there no matter what

It makes me cringe when someone says that a team should have signed player x who was a ufa... when often the player may simply never had any interest in the team at any price

people here remember that hossa turned down our offer for basically the exact same offer from Detroit, but they forget that he also shunned a max deal offer from the oilers worth 2 million more per season at the same time...

You simply cannot plan on ufa as a teambuilding option.... quality cost efficient ufas are a bonus....

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

This is where I am also. You don't keep players around who are useless for sentimental reasons. But anyone who thinks we are at that point with Malkin (or Letang; he's been much more responsible) needs their brain examined. This isn't a normal situation, where you have a couple of very talented players who you part ways with at the end of a good career. This is a three-Cup winning core, who have meant everything to this team for 15 years. And who are still elite champions. You don't just send guys like that out to pasture. They deserve a little bit of loyalty. Organizations who do that don't deserve a cent of our money. There will be a drop off at some point, where their contracts perhaps aren't justified by their performance. I suspect that both will hang it up before that happens. I expect them to retire together.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
From snooping around, Flyers fans seem pretty pissed about Friedman getting waived and are really mad that he got claimed. But I'd also point out that their reactions there are similar to how I'd expect Penguins fans to react to waiving Riikola, and Riikola isn't anything special, so I don't know :laugh:
Flyers fan coming in peace (if that is possible at all :naughty:).
I don´t think the average Flyers´fan is pissed about him getting waived because he hasn´t shown NHL caliber in any game yet.
Some may be pissed because they always estimate kind of unproven players higher that some of the ones actually playing (Hägg, Brown, Gus) or other "failures" still under contract.
I think he was claimed because Hextall drafted him and hasn´t given up upon what he saw in Friedman back then.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

See, I really hope you're right with this, but I thought the same thing about Ovechkin and he apparently wants a decent raise on his next deal.

Logically I can say "why do you care about making more money when you've already made tens of millions in your career?", then I think about what I'd do in their shoes and I can't reasonably expect them to do that.

I find it humorous that people are discussing roster space requirements as if there wont be four other guys on ltir soon....

there absolutely has to be an Indian burial ground under their arena....

Mentioning injuries to justify running with a bad roster composition isn't exactly a great justification in my eyes.

Unless they have like 2 defensemen injured, I really don't see how running with 9 defensemen who require waivers is a good idea. And that's not even including POJ, who would likely get called up to the NHL roster in case of an injury.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Flyers fan coming in peace (if that is possible at all :naughty:).
I don´t think the average Flyers´fan is pissed about him getting waived because he hasn´t shown NHL caliber in any game yet.
Some may be pissed because they always estimate kind of unproven players higher that some of the ones actually playing (Hägg, Brown, Gus) or other "failures" still under contract.
I think he was claimed because Hextall drafted him and hasn´t given up upon what he saw in Friedman back then.
Clearly he was only claimed because Hextall knew him from his Philly days. Did any other team even bother to put in a claim?

He was drafted in 2014 and has only played in 11 games.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Clearly he was only claimed because Hextall knew him from his Philly days. Did any other team even bother to put in a claim? He was drafted in 2014 and has only played in 11 games.

Plus, he hasn´t been a supreme AHL player recently either.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Plus, he hasn´t been a supreme AHL player recently either.
It’s just odd to even bother putting in a claim for this guy. We have more than enough dmen, save the spot for a forward since we dress 3 guys every night that should be scratched.

I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come of Hextall bringing in guys that failed on the Flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->