Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
As far as im concerned Geno is in the same category as Sid. Both of them should decide whether they want to stay or leave. It sucks that Geno always been the sacrificial lamb anytime the team faulters. I really hope both of them play their entire career with the Pens.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's amazing to me that so many people are this quick to cut bait with Malkin.

F***ing Malkin.

This team's contending days are done the moment he leaves. Do people not realize that? Is it not better to explore every possible avenue to get him back on track?

Especially if it’s just conditioning issues that will sort itself out eventually.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe Malkin could drive play again from the wing.

I know, I know it's verboten for a mid-30s center to move to a wing and never happens but, like, what if it did though?
well the first thing is that it would relive him of some defensive responsibility in our zone.
2. giving him less ice to cover
3. it would take nothing away in the offensive zone.
seems like all good things to me.
edit; it would push some down on the left side, is that a bad thing?

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Lol how is trading Petts buying low? Petts is a signed young top 4 defensemen. I swear people defensive dmen. Then are upset when we bleed goals
Well, would you trade a good sized RW powerforward with speed and 50 point upside for a defensive D with limited offence and who's weak on the boards? If it wasn't for the bad start, and questions about his work ethic, no way Van trades Virtanen. Im not saying it's a great deal, but I wouldn't feel like we were fleeced either.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

F***ing Malkin.

This team's contending days are done the moment he leaves. Do people not realize that? Is it not better to explore every possible avenue to get him back on track?

4y7dhj.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would you guys consider Gaudette and Virtanen for Petts?

McCann - Gaudette - Virtanen
Doesn't seem like a half bad line to me.

Probably not for Pettersson until I see more of Petts and Dumo. I think I would maybe do something around that for Dumo but more balancing pieces thrown in. That said, Vancouver needs to cut salary and this does the opposite, so my guess would be no from them unless it was a three way with another team.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Well, would you trade a good sized RW powerforward with speed and 50 point upside for a defensive D with limited offence and whos weak om the boards? If it wasn't for the bad start, and questions about his work ethic, no way Van trades Virtanen. Im not saying it's a great deal, but I wouldn't feel like we were fleeced either.

tenor.gif

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

F***ing Malkin.

I mean. I think it’s garbage to trash him as it’s pretty clear he’s just struggling with some decline in his game.

But if he’s gonna continue to regress, I’m not gonna say we can’t find another way to build the team and be just as good if not better.

Ideally, he takes a team friendly deal, he remains a strong player and we build a strong team around him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they should cut bait with Malkin, but whether I want to re-sign Malkin heavily depends on what he's asking for. I'd want him to be taking a pay cut on his next deal, and I'd want it to be even more sizable if he's not what he once was. The only way they should move on from Malkin is if he wants out or if he's not willing to work with their salary structure.

I hope it won't be a problem, but I also thought Ovi was going to be willing to take a pay cut and he apparently wants a raise on an extension with the Capitals.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think they should cut bait with Malkin, but whether I want to re-sign Malkin heavily depends on what he's asking for. I'd want him to be taking a pay cut on his next deal, and I'd want it to be even more sizable if he's not what he once was. The only way they should move on from Malkin is if he wants out or if he's not willing to work with their salary structure.

I hope it won't be a problem, but I also thought Ovi was going to be willing to take a pay cut and he apparently wants a raise on an extension with the Capitals.

Sadly, I think the difference is, Ovechkin is still putting up big goal totals. Couple of years ago, I would have fought tooth and nail suggesting Ovie and Malkin had similar value but today, I think Ovie is clearly worth more. That doesn't mean Geno is not worth anything but as you suggested, I think I would be wanting a pay cut from the $9.5mil. I struggle even accepting another $9,5mil deal. I could see dropping to $8.7mil but more preferably, $7.1mil (lol) as I think that allows us the flexibility we need while providing good value for both parties. If Malkin could take two $3mil wingers and be a PPG player and a force on the PP, that's one thing but it's increasingly obvious that he is going to be needing more help from more capable players. That's not something we should be paying a premium for IMHO. That said, I want the guy around.

I still think the best overall route would be to keep him at center now and next year then when his contract is renewed to match Sid's term, bump him to Sid's RW and look for a new 2C (that can start now if need be).

Jake-Sid-Geno
Zucker-2C-Kappy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sadly, I think the difference is, Ovechkin is still putting up big goal totals. Couple of years ago, I would have fought tooth and nail suggesting Ovie and Malkin had similar value but today, I think Ovie is clearly worth more. That doesn't mean Geno is not worth anything but as you suggested, I think I would be wanting a pay cut from the $9.5mil. I struggle even accepting another $9,5mil deal. I could see dropping to $8.7mil but more preferably, $7.1mil (lol) as I think that allows us the flexibility we need while providing good value for both parties. If Malkin could take two $3mil wingers and be a PPG player and a force on the PP, that's one thing but it's increasingly obvious that he is going to be needing more help from more capable players. That's not something we should be paying a premium for IMHO. That said, I want the guy around.

I still think the best overall route would be to keep him at center now and next year then when his contract is renewed to match Sid's term, bump him to Sid's RW and look for a new 2C (that can start now if need be).

Jake-Sid-Geno
Zucker-2C-Kappy

Bleuger and McCann have both been okay in a 2C role, I'd simply move one of them up to Malkin's line and the other at 3C and use Malkin on the wing until he gets his head out of his ass.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkin is looking like his years are starting to take some toll. Nothing bad except he is not going to be that 10 million dollar player and quite frankly I have no idea what he may be then. I am in the move on camp to allow Hextall do what he was hired to do. Rebuild the roster to win cups down the road. Sid is unique as he loves to play and I think just playing is his great satisfaction. He wants to win, but playing at a high level is his motivation.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Bleuger and McCann have both been okay in a 2C role, I'd simply move one of them up to Malkin's line and the other at 3C and use Malkin on the wing until he gets his head out of his ass.

It’s out of the box but I like it.

I think tinkering with the wings a little to have one last go for a Malkin to get going but if he’d be cool with wing it’s not a bad idea.

I think Blueger would be good because A) he’s in great form B) goes hard to net which would hopefully encourage Malkin to shoot a lot C) Teddy has history of playing against top lines and coming out even so Malkin and another quality winger could work.

Sully’s done some weird things (good & bad) I’m not sure he’d go there though. Maybe @Jesse can plant the seed in Sully’s mind :)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
which is fine, because most of them aren’t actually seeing the ice. :laugh:

I don’t think Virtanen is necessarily a great add, but I don’t think his salary is really the limiting factor here.

They're minimum salary roster fillers. Of course they're not always seeing the ice. When they go, they'll be filled with more minimum salary roster fillers. Their relevance to Virtanen is basically zero and I don't know why you're suggesting otherwise.

Given everything we've seen of the psychology of the individual, how's that going to help us?

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
McCann+3rd for Bennett+Simon

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Bennett-Malkin-Rust
Zucker-ERod-Kapanen
ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
It’s out of the box but I like it.

I think tinkering with the wings a little to have one last go for a Malkin to get going but if he’d be cool with wing it’s not a bad idea.

I think Blueger would be good because A) he’s in great form B) goes hard to net which would hopefully encourage Malkin to shoot a lot C) Teddy has history of playing against top lines and coming out even so Malkin and another quality winger could work.

Sully’s done some weird things (good & bad) I’m not sure he’d go there though. Maybe @Jesse can plant the seed in Sully’s mind :)

I don't think switching Malkin to wing is going to help his circumstances any.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Holy ****

JUST LAST SEASON Malkin scored at a 37 goal, 110 point pace, yet his (admittedly putrid) start through 16 games this season leads many of you to conclude that he's cooked?

Geno has been a monster for 15+ seasons and you are all ready to write him off after 16 games. I have no words.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

Jake-Sid-Geno
Zucker-2C-Kappy
Malkin scored 74 points in 55 games and led the league in 5v5 scoring last season. Three years ago he scored 98 points in 78 games. The year in between he only scored at about a point a game, but the D he spent most time with was Jack Johnson. He is declining, but still excellent—the start of this season not withstanding.

Let’s turn Petts/Dumo + Prospect + pick into one more winger. Keep KK and Rust. Push down one of them to play with McCann and whoever is playing best out of DOC, EROD, Jank, Sceviour, Lafferty...

Reactions: vodeni and BobCole

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Malkin scored 74 points in 55 games and led the league in 5v5 scoring last season. Three years ago he scored 98 points in 78 games. The year in between he only scored at about a point a game, but the D he spent most time with was Jack Johnson. He is declining, but still excellent—the start of this season not withstanding.

Let’s turn Petts/Dumo + Prospect + pick into one more winger. Keep KK and Rust. Push down one of them to play with McCann and whoever is playing best out of DOC, EROD, Jank, Sceviour, Lafferty...

Yes to all of this.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have an idea, lets trade for Sutter and put Geno on his wing, or Jordan and put Geno on his wing...I mean thats what we have been desiring for a long time...what a bunch of BS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->