Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where every JR update, gives us all Anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
No doubt that is true, but it does not take a large percentage to be wary, give up on coming, whatever, to make a huge difference. A 20% drop would be huge.

I think so, yeah.

I admit to simply not being savvy enough on this aspect of the sport but it sure seems to me that it will take the owners collectively agreeing to put the league on life support with their own money for... some length of time... should things continue. Which seems... hopeful?

Again... maybe I'm off base. I hope so.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think we might be unpleasantly surprised by the amount of people who simply shrug their shoulders at not only the prospects of attending games in the future but even bothering with convoluted, heavily-monetized and often janky streaming services to "fill the void."

I'm not convinced sports, or at least hockey, will be "deemed essential" in the rather uncertain future, in other words. I dunno how freely flowing the disposable income is going to be in the next year+

It isn't something that had honestly occurred to me or at least wasn't a priority to think about until lately. But man I dunno. And yes I'm a bit pessimistic so hey maybe it's just me being me. There has been progress made in fits and starts growing the game the last few decades but this league isn't exactly... mainstream, ya know?

Sports leagues across the country and world are starting up again. The only thing preventing the NHL from having fans in seats will be the Canada border issues if they persist.

I don't think it is the right idea, but people will normalize their life and risk it.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, I'd expect at least 3 seasons or so of less than stellar fan attendance/support for disposable income sinks like professional sports. Way too many influencing factors to think anything less.

First, the virus impact itself. No one knows if/when vaccine/treatments will make things "safe" again. Even when it is, you'll have those that don't believe it is or are willing to go without. Second, financial impact of #1 and the related recession on John Q Citizen being able to afford it. This will be a much longer period than #1 as economy can't bounce back as quick as individuals can decide it's safe or not. Takes some time for momentum to build and feel comfortable again once a recovery takes hold.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I'd expect at least 3 seasons or so of less than stellar fan attendance/support for disposable income sinks like professional sports. Way too many influencing factors to think anything less.

First, the virus impact itself. No one knows if/when vaccine/treatments will make things "safe" again. Even when it is, you'll have those that don't believe it is or are willing to go without. Second, financial impact of #1 and the related recession on John Q Citizen being able to afford it. This will be a much longer period than #1 as economy can't bounce back as quick as individuals can decide it's safe or not. Takes some time for momentum to build and feel comfortable again once a recovery takes hold.

Eh. I think things like sports will be a key aspect of what survives.

The biggest question to me when it comes to seats in the NHL is how they handle season ticket holders which are a life blood and their most valuable fans if they can't seat at capacity.

One only needs to look at the Great Depression to see that sports were an outlet.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Eh. I think things like sports will be a key aspect of what survives.

I mean... Bread And Circuses™ right? There is something to be said for distraction.

Suppose I'll keep my fingers crossed and we'll see.

Frankly it wouldn't be good news regardless but for selfish Penguins-related reasons at least they, you know... already had a great run and it's decidedly over. So hey... que sera, sera right?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean... Bread And Circuses™ right? There is something to be said for distraction.

Suppose I'll keep my fingers crossed and we'll see.

Frankly it wouldn't be good news regardless but for selfish Penguins-related reasons at least they, you know... already had a great run and it's decidedly over. So hey... que sera, sera right?

I think the Seattle expansion and new TV deal in the US will also be a godsend for the teams struggling.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We can't afford bad contracts. We especially can't afford taking on a bigger, longer bad contract to get rid of a smaller, shorter bad contract. Just pay the assets for someone to take JJ from us, please and thank you.

Reactions: SEALBound

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Faulk was their 3rd most used D.

Faulk is also terrible defensively and is one the dumbest players in the league, with an awful contract. He's what people with no hockey knowledge think Letang is.

Why would anyone want Faulk? I'd rather have JJ and his deal. like not even kidding, I wouldn't trade JJ for Faulk.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Faulk as it relates to JJ is a picture-perfect example of cutting off your nose to spite your face, IMO.

Faulk is just downright a putrid Dman. Hes awful Defensively and offensively.

12 Points
25 Points
12 Points

those are his last 3 seasons at 5v5.

JJ had 10 5v5 points, and i assume less ice time.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Seriously doubt anything happens again until after the Stanley Cup playoffs or when free agency starts on October 9th again with Pens and Rutherford..

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
That’s a pretty good deal for us. I thought he’d get closer to 3.5. Also I feel it increases his trade value if that’s the direction they want to go. Teams know what he’s gonna cost which is more important now than it ever was.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pete Blackburn of all people, even nails it on the head...

Pittsburgh Penguins: Out-coached
This is not something I saw coming. Mike Sullivan has been so good at getting the most from his players in Pittsburgh and if it weren't for a late season slide, I think he would have been in the discussion for Jack Adams as coach of the year. That would've been the reward for helping navigate his team to success through so many key injuries this year.
But Claude Julien coached circles around Sullivan in this series, and it's a big reason why Montreal pulled off a stunning upset of a far superior Pittsburgh team. There were so many questionable decisions made from the Penguins' bench. One of the most notable came before the series even started, as the Pens went with Matt Murray in net despite Tristan Jarry being the far better goalie this season. But the most egregious (and most painful) came via the continued deployment of Jack Johnson and Justin Schultz, who were both absolutely awful in this series.
There's plenty of blame to place on the players too, but it's on the coaching staff to help make the necessary adjustments to help shift the tide over the course of a series. The Penguins never did that and it's maybe the worst Sullivan has ever looked.
Stanley Cup Playoffs 2020: What went wrong for the NHL's eight play-in round losers

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't want McCann back, But he's still a solid player for your bottom 6 when he isn't awfully struggling.

he'll get you 15-20 goals, PK, Speed, but also get some very very very dumb games.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Oh great. Sucks for Blueger. Deserves that 3c spot more than McCann does and this coming from one of McCanns biggest advocates.

I think McCann can really only be effective as a winger after seeing how poorly he played since January at C.

As a wing he can play up and down the lineup and be effective, has some good chemistry with 71 & 87 when his shots are hitting the net.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Ummmm didnt expect a McCann extension!

I would expect him to perform better if hes given actual capable wingers so perhaps we will fill in around him instead of dealing him away.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
That is a good deal for McCann but they better hope they sign another real good defensemen.Or it is 5 or 4 games and out of the playoffs again..

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
McCann-Blueger-Hornqvist/Poulin

48278b6707f71cea48b771370e23ca1c.gif

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Market on him must have been uninspiring. Maybe if he plays C you go Simon-McCann-Horny and pray that Simon can get him the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad