Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We’ve got forwards! Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol at the infatuation with Kulemin. Most fans here assume any Eastern European would click automatically with Malkin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reality is all of Jankowski, Granlund, Haula and Rodrigues are dumpster diving.

Much like Kulemin, Ehrhoff, Downie and Comeau heading in 14-15.

Granlund and Haula each paced for more points in their "down year" last year as well or better than Jankowski or Rodrigues did in their career best years.

That seems like an entirely different class of offensive player to me.

Reactions: JTG

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Granlund and Haula each paced for more points in their "down year" last year as well or better than Jankowski or Rodrigues did in their career best years.

That seems like an entirely different class of offensive player to me.

Kulemin paced for more points in his down year than Comeau as well. Granted they were far closer to each other than Granlund and Jankowski or Rodrigues. But Jankowski or Rodrigues aren't being brought in to fill a role that Granlund would here. Kapanen is.

Haula is a player I like, but I'd be scared to give him anything besides a one year prove it deal given he's basically managed half a season in his last two due to reoccurring knee injuries and everything around his camp says he wants a job where he can compete for 2C not play 3C. And I see a lot of Brassard in him tbh.

Once again, that is because you are going by name recognition rather than fit.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kulemin paced for more points in his down year than Comeau as well. Granted they were far closer to each other than Granlund and Jankowski or Rodrigues. But Jankowski or Rodrigues aren't being brought in to fill a role that Granlund would here. Kapanen is.

Haula is a player I like, but I'd be scared to give him anything besides a one year prove it deal given he's basically managed half a season in his last two due to reoccurring knee injuries and everything around his camp says he wants a job where he can compete for 2C not play 3C. And I see a lot of Brassard in him tbh.

Once again, that is because you are going by name recognition rather than fit.

Not as well or better than his career year though. There's a considerable offensive gap between Rodrigues/Jankowski and Haula/Granlund - it has nothing to do with name recognition, and everything to do with proven production.

I don't think any part of the above paragraph is the least bit controversial.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not as well or better than his career year though. There's a considerable offensive gap between Rodrigues/Jankowski and Haula/Granlund - it has nothing to do with name recognition, and everything to do with proven production.

I don't think any part of the above paragraph is the least bit controversial.

We don't need a top six winger which is where Granlund's success has come from.

Haula types have generally failed when brought in (Bjugstad / Brassard ). Our success has largely been with using players that have shown success in 3rd and 4th line roles on the 3rd and 4th line. Jankowski and Rodrigues have shown to be analytically very apt players in those roles.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We don't need a top six winger which is where Granlund's success has come from.

Haula types have generally failed when brought in (Bjugstad / Brassard ). Our success has largely been with using players that have shown success in 3rd and 4th line roles on the 3rd and 4th line. Jankowski and Rodrigues have shown to be analytically very apt players in those roles.

I would hesitate to label Brassard, Haula, and Bjugstad as any kind of similar "type".

You seem to be insinuating that we simply shouldn't have productive players in the bottom 6. That's the opposite of what I want.

If they're playing center, they need to be able to contend with high d-zone starts and defensive responsibilities. Beyond that, they better be able to produce from the 3rd line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I would hesitate to label Brassard, Haula, and Bjugstad as any kind of similar "type".

You seem to be insinuating that we simply shouldn't have productive players in the bottom 6. That's the opposite of what I want.

If they're playing center, they need to be able to contend with high d-zone starts and defensive responsibilities. Beyond that, they better be able to produce from the 3rd line.

No, I’m arguing let’s not just assume players that produce in top six roles will do it in bottom six roles.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Reality is all of Jankowski, Granlund, Haula and Rodrigues are dumpster diving.

Much like Kulemin, Ehrhoff, Downie and Comeau heading in 14-15.
Yikes. I know you defend every move this team makes, but this is crazy.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Jankowski and Rodrigues have shown to be analytically very apt players in those roles.
What are the analytics for a 14th or 15th forward like Rodrigues? He can eat 1.5 hot dogs per period from the press box on Tuesday nights?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Haula had bottom 6 deployment last year and still produced at a .5 P/G pace despite coming back from injury.

Not the bottom six deployment he will see here. And over a third of his production came on the PP.

27 pt pace at ES. 3 points in his last 15 games prior to being traded to Florida.

Haula was a wonderful 3C for Minnesota and had a career year between Perron and Neal. The question is how much has his game fallen off due to multiple severe knee injuries. If he signs for 1.5-2 mil on a contender at one year, I’ll be annoyed.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, how is Granlund dumpster diving? Granlund is a top 6 player that if you can get for your 3rd line, you're in a good spot to get some offense out of that 3rd line instead of the massive question marks we'll be seeing now.

Also to add...

Comeau is a fantastic bottom 6 player and Ehrhoff was fine until he was injured and then never really recovered. Something seemed off about him too, a rocket of a shot that he suddenly stopped using? Why does that sound familiar...odd how that HAPPENS TO EVERY PLAYER THAT COMES OVER...

Something about that seems fishy to me. It's like the opposite of the Hatcher & Zubov thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wait, how is Granlund dumpster diving? Granlund is a top 6 player that if you can get for your 3rd line, you're in a good spot to get some offense out of that 3rd line instead of the massive question marks we'll be seeing now.

Because Granlund sucked in a 3rd line role in Nashville and is at the age where forwards start declining offensively.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Because Granlund sucked in a 3rd line role in Nashville and is at the age where forwards start declining offensively.
40pt pace, getting 55% zone starts in the offensive zone?

We could have utilized him with Zucker on the 3rd line with Blueger at C. Then rolled out Poulin-Malkin-Rust as the 2nd line.

Also, the Preds lines were a f***ing mess mate.

Forsberg-Turris-Granlund was also a line.

Turris got bought out and pissed off somewhere else.
Granlund is a UFA.
They're not sure if RyJo is on the market or not.
They're also not happy with Duchene.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

We could have utilized him with Zucker on the 3rd line with Blueger at C. Then rolled out Poulin-Malkin-Rust as the 2nd line.

Eh. I just don’t see the attraction and think people are stat watching with him. He looked really bad in Nashville. And I think our team is much closer to Nash then Minnesota systematically.

I see him going to Columbus and being Nyquist 2.0. Meh top six winger who puts up empty calorie 40-50 pt seasons much like he did in Minnie. Definition of vanilla.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Eh. I just don’t see the attraction and think people are stat watching with him. He looked really bad in Nashville. And I think our team is much closer to Nash then Minnesota systematically.

I see him going to Columbus and being Nyquist 2.0. Meh top six winger who puts up empty calorie 40-50 pt seasons much like he did in Minnie. Definition of vanilla.

Yeah our system is garbage right now, that I will agree on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Also, the Preds lines were a f***ing mess mate.

Forsberg-Turris-Granlund was also a line.

Turris got bought out and pissed off somewhere else.
Granlund is a UFA.
They're not sure if RyJo is on the market or not.
They're also not happy with Duchene.

Granlund was on the top line with Duchene and Forsberg.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kind of like Granlund over the last two years as soon as he wasn’t the most skilled offensive guy on the team.
He never was the most skilled offensive player on any team. Not sure what narrative you've been trying to spin about him, but he's a solid 3rd line offensive option, he's a bloke that was on pace for 40pts on a shitty team that had an idiot of a new coach that showed how clueless he still is as a coach.

We're trying to hope McCann, Jankowski, Sceviour, Lafferty, ZAR, Tanev, and Rodrigues can somehow manufacture close to 40pts. McCann was close last season, the rest? Yeah...that would be a career year for them.

You are responding to the Granlund thing like people are suggesting him as a top 6 option, he's a 3rd line option that can play all 3 forward positions in a pinch, but is a bloke that is also familiar with Zucker and provides options and some actual clout for a player that can still produce.

Haula I liked, but his red flags with his injuries keep me away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He never was the most skilled offensive player on any team. Not sure what narrative you've been trying to spin about him, but he's a solid 3rd line offensive option, he's a bloke that was on pace for 40pts on a shitty team that had an idiot of a new coach that showed how clueless he still is as a coach.

We're trying to hope McCann, Jankowski, Sceviour, Lafferty, ZAR, Tanev, and Rodrigues can somehow manufacture close to 40pts. McCann was close last season, the rest? Yeah...that would be a career year for them.

You are responding to the Granlund thing like people are suggesting him as a top 6 option, he's a 3rd line option that can play all 3 forward positions in a pinch, but is a bloke that is also familiar with Zucker and provides options and some actual clout for a player that can still produce.

Haula I liked, but his red flags with his injuries keep me away.

Granlund was “the guy” in Minnesota.

When he got moved and had to be the third wheel it didn’t work.

He’s not going to be “the guy” here and he didn’t produce when he tumbled down Nash’s line up.

Him and Haula want top six roles. Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t want to play that game here again like we did with Phil and Brassard.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Granlund was “the guy” in Minnesota.

When he got moved and had to be the third wheel it didn’t work.

He’s not going to be “the guy” here and he didn’t produce when he tumbled down Nash’s line up.

Him and Haula want top six roles. Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t want to play that game here again like we did with Phil and Brassard.

He really wasn't, he had 2 very good seasons in Minnesota, but that team still relied heavily on Koivu, Staal (at the time), Nino (when he was there), Parise, etc.

Granlund was in that mix, but you're making him out to be more than he was.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He really wasn't, he had 2 very good seasons in Minnesota, but that team still relied heavily on Koivu, Staal (at the time), Nino (when he was there), Parise, etc.

Granlund was in that mix, but you're making him out to be more than he was.

Granlund lead the team in ice time or was 2nd during his breakout years at forward.

He was 100% their big gun. Minnesota fans were pretending he was like turning into a top ten player in the league at the time.

Reactions: ownal

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not the bottom six deployment he will see here. And over a third of his production came on the PP.

27 pt pace at ES. 3 points in his last 15 games prior to being traded to Florida.

Haula was a wonderful 3C for Minnesota and had a career year between Perron and Neal. The question is how much has his game fallen off due to multiple severe knee injuries. If he signs for 1.5-2 mil on a contender at one year, I’ll be annoyed.

Me too. That's the sort of deal we should have been seeking out.

27 points at ES is still 17 more than Jankowski was on pace for.

He's 2 years older than Jankowski and one year older than Rodrigues.

But more importantly, he's just the kind of playmaking winger McCann could benefit from, if he didn't work in the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->