Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We’ve got forwards! Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Me too. That's the sort of deal we should have been seeking out.

27 points at ES is still 17 more than Jankowski was on pace for.

He's 2 years older than Jankowski and one year older than Rodrigues.

But more importantly, he's just the kind of playmaking winger McCann could benefit from, if he didn't work in the top 6.

I mean technically Granlund will likely be on the edge of 29 when the season starts. But, I get your point.

If Granlund signs a 1 year 2 mil type deal on a contender, I can get the frustration. I imagine he is going to get 3-4 mil and a couple years.

Then again look at Montour and what I thought he'd sign for.

Here is what I go back to though. I want Blueger to be our 3C. I think signing Haula prevents that and I want to see what we have in Teddy prior to expansion.

I want to see what we have in O'Connor, Lafferty, Tanev and McCann. I think signing Granlund prevents that as well. I want to let Kapanen at least get a chance to prove he can mesh with Sid or Geno.

I want to watch and see what happens moving forward and get a better fit than Granlund or Haula who I see as decent options, but not great ones.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think this would be an excellent playoff avatar theme :yo:, get us all some mountain dew.
This may be more accurate come playoff time.
GiddyIdioticHoopoe-size_restricted.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I mean technically Granlund will likely be on the edge of 29 when the season starts. But, I get your point.

If Granlund signs a 1 year 2 mil type deal on a contender, I can get the frustration. I imagine he is going to get 3-4 mil and a couple years.

Then again look at Montour and what I thought he'd sign for.

Here is what I go back to though. I want Blueger to be our 3C. I think signing Haula prevents that and I want to see what we have in Teddy prior to expansion.

I want to see what we have in O'Connor, Lafferty, Tanev and McCann. I think signing Granlund prevents that as well. I want to let Kapanen at least get a chance to prove he can mesh with Sid or Geno.

I want to watch and see what happens moving forward and get a better fit than Granlund or Haula who I see as decent options, but not great ones.
We’ve been running in circles since July 2017 trying to find a 3C. Why on earth would you want to not sign a respectable player on hopes a guy like Lafferty suddenly plays well? Haula and Granlund might not be perfect fits, but they won’t cost assets and they are certainly better than the garbage we have. You are better off having too many good players instead of what we have now, which is way too many fourth liners.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We’ve been running in circles since July 2017 trying to find a 3C. Why on earth would you want to not sign a respectable player on hopes a guy like Lafferty suddenly plays well? Haula and Granlund might not be perfect fits, but they won’t cost assets and they are certainly better than the garbage we have. You are better off having too many good players instead of what we have now, which is way too many fourth liners.

Well, I’d argue as in 2017 our solution is internal and Bleuger and McCann is a fine 3C and 4C punch for a contender.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hopefully other teams will have some injuries to their 14th and 15th forwards or 9th and 10th defensemen, because the Pens have more than enough of each. Go get those 5th round picks, JR! We will be the bell of the ball for teams looking for crap fringe players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
f*** mate, this is haunting.
Well, I’d argue as in 2017 our solution is internal and Bleuger and McCann is a fine 3C and 4C punch for a contender.
God damn it Gurgles, get it right.

McCann - LW
Blueger - 3C.
Jankdawg - 4C
Rodrigues - 4C - Option.

Ideally...

McCann, Blueger, Tanev
Rodrigues, Jankowski, Sceviour/Lafferty

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You sure about that? Neither one wants to be a 3rd line center or get paid peanuts. Its all fine an dandy to want any offensive option to be our 3rd line center, but either one of them is just as likely to be a Brassard here as a Bonino. I personally want no part of either one of them as a center. We need to stop trying to shoehorn every different offensive center we can into a 3rd line role. The way this team is constructed, that center is going to get an overwhelming about of defensive zone starts, those guys arent a fit for that role. Now if we are talking about top 6 depth, that is a completely different conversation.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You sure about that? Neither one wants to be a 3rd line center or get paid peanuts. Its all fine an dandy to want any offensive option to be our 3rd line center, but either one of them is just as likely to be a Brassard here as a Bonino. I personally want no part of either one of them as a center. We need to stop trying to shoehorn every different offensive center we can into a 3rd line role. The way this team is constructed, that center is going to get an overwhelming about of defensive zone starts, those guys arent a fit for that role. Now if we are talking about top 6 depth, that is a completely different conversation.
I don't even want Haula (wants to be C, has knee issues, likely wants to be a top 6 somewhere but won't fit here) or Granlund really (I wanted him as a winger option, I thought he would have been great to flank on the other side with Zucker, they have proven chemistry). I want Blueger at 3c, he's the most deserving of it, I hate this notion that the Pens would rather give Jankowski the option of earning that 3c spot, but don't feel the same about Blueger? He's done an amazing job with the horse shit they've thrown his way. He made magic happen with a dipshit like ZAR and a spastic human being like Tanev. He was on pace for 26pts, I wager if you swapped McCann into ZAR's spot and bumped up Blueger to the 3rd line with Tanev, you'd get at least 9 more pts out of Blueger AT-f***ING-LEAST.

Blueger isn't even out of his depth at 3C, he's proven with every f***ing metric that he's a capable 3C type of player and given a better, polished LW, he will produce what you'd want out of a 3C. I wouldn't put 40pts past Blueger, which is exactly what this team needs from a 3C. Yeah Geno and Sid are getting older, that just means you need less of the Dupuis types in the top 6 and need players with better finish, but the bottom 6 works if you do what I've outlined above.

I want JR and Sullivan fired so badly.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't even want Haula (wants to be C, has knee issues, likely wants to be a top 6 somewhere but won't fit here) or Granlund really (I wanted him as a winger option, I thought he would have been great to flank on the other side with Zucker, they have proven chemistry). I want Blueger at 3c, he's the most deserving of it, I hate this notion that the Pens would rather give Jankowski the option of earning that 3c spot, but don't feel the same about Blueger? He's done an amazing job with the horse shit they've thrown his way. He made magic happen with a dipshit like ZAR and a spastic human being like Tanev. He was on pace for 26pts, I wager if you swapped McCann into ZAR's spot and bumped up Blueger to the 3rd line with Tanev, you'd get at least 9 more pts out of Blueger AT-f***ING-LEAST.

Blueger isn't even out of his depth at 3C, he's proven with every f***ing metric that he's a capable 3C type of player and given a better, polished LW, he will produce what you'd want out of a 3C. I wouldn't put 40pts past Blueger, which is exactly what this team needs from a 3C. Yeah Geno and Sid are getting older, that just means you need less of the Dupuis types in the top 6 and need players with better finish, but the bottom 6 works if you do what I've outlined above.

I want JR and Sullivan fired so badly.
I agree with you on both Blue and Janko, was not impressed with the Janko signing here, hopefully he shows some sort of life. Blue should be given a chance to run with the roll, hopefully he will. At least he wont have ZAR's corpse dragging behind him to start the season.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree with you on both Blue and Janko, was not impressed with the Janko signing here, hopefully he shows some sort of life. Blue should be given a chance to run with the roll, hopefully he will. At least he wont have ZAR's corpse dragging behind him to start the season.
I wanted Rodrigues to be our 4c, then he got traded, then we got him back, I still would be fine with him as our 4c with Blueger as the 3c.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wanted Rodrigues to be our 4c, then he got traded, then we got him back, I still would be fine with him as our 4c with Blueger as the 3c.
I am not completely sold on eRod, not going to lie. I hope he can do the job well, I was just hoping for a savvy vet signing for that role, maybe like Soderberg. Oh well, cant have everything.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We desperately need another RW, which Granlund can play as well. Having an actual top 9 forward that can play center or right wing would be nice instead of having 6 or 7 dime a dozen fourth liners fight it out all year for the third line.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am not completely sold on eRod, not going to lie. I hope he can do the job well, I was just hoping for a savvy vet signing for that role, maybe like Soderberg. Oh well, cant have everything.
Wanting a respectable third line isn’t really having everything, is it?

Erod is a fine 13th or 14th forward; nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wanting a respectable third line isn’t really having everything, is it?
No its not. But when you want a 50 point 3rd line center, signed for cheap, who will be happy in the role of defensive zone starts, you are asking for everything. Neither Haula or Granlund want to sign for cheap, or in a defensive role. If they were willing to do that they would of been signed already.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Soderberg is likely going back to Europe, I think he wants to be a 3c somewhere but doesn't appear to be any spots for him and at his age, might not be open to a 1yr deal, I thought with Boston's injuries, he'd go there for a 1yr deal at least, but nope.

E-Rod is a ball of energy, solid in his end and was a solid driver with McCann and Horny before Sullitard decided to dress Lafferty as a f***ing C instead of dress Roddy Rod in one of his many idiotic line-up choices.

He's a solid LW-C and is someone that plays the kind of game you want from a 4C. Then you have a solid 2-way bloke in Sceviour and you throw in Lafferty on the left side and you've got a pretty damn solid 4th line to roll out there. It's not as hodge-podge as it appears to be.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
what they want and what they get may be two completely different things.:laugh:

Very true. But it doesnt mean they would be a fit on our 3rd line as a center, which they arent.

Soderberg is likely going back to Europe, I think he wants to be a 3c somewhere but doesn't appear to be any spots for him and at his age, might not be open to a 1yr deal, I thought with Boston's injuries, he'd go there for a 1yr deal at least, but nope.

E-Rod is a ball of energy, solid in his end and was a solid driver with McCann and Horny before Sullitard decided to dress Lafferty as a f***ing C instead of dress Roddy Rod in one of his many idiotic line-up choices.

He's a solid LW-C and is someone that plays the kind of game you want from a 4C. Then you have a solid 2-way bloke in Sceviour and you throw in Lafferty on the left side and you've got a pretty damn solid 4th line to roll out there. It's not as hodge-podge as it appears to be.

I think a lot depends on if ownership gets their demands of more salary rollback or not. If it happens I believe a few more teams will have permission to spend closer to the cap. If it doesnt I think owners are going to penny pinch.

He is definitely that. I just dont like the idea that we are counting on multiple players to have bounce back or growth years next season. A solid and established vet would of been nice.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Tanev - McCann - Rodrigues also works for a fun, feisty speed base group if you want to roll out a defensive line in Jankowski - Bleuger - Sceviour.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tanev - McCann - Rodrigues also works for a fun, feisty speed base group if you want to roll out a defensive line in Jankowski - Bleuger - Sceviour.
I just don't think McCann can carry a line like that.

He's produced fairly well with reps in the top 6, having Horny on his line for most of his time on the 3rd line, rotation of Kahun and Chucky.

In all of those instances, he's been the least talented player each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad