Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Shake off the Rust, Malkin our way to the season opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah I think it’s fairly well agreed upon for most here that another 3rd liner would be great. I’d go with a right winger.

The players we signed will play on the 4th line I’d imagine. The only one I think they’d be higher on to play higher would be Rodrigues. They seem to think he has more to give on the ice. Jankowski is a 4th liner unless he can prove that his production/play warrant it.

We have a taxi squad now and cheap guys that can easily go there if we are able to bring in another legit 3rd liner with no big risks.

JR is never done no matter what he says publicly. Moving some guys around and a trade is still possible. We don’t need a world beater on the 3rd line but someone with a bit more skill than say Tanev will provide there.

Looks like it has to be a trade at this stage if one can present itself
We are going into the season with an incomplete roster. We don’t have the luxury to wait around until January to wake up.

They easily could have improved this roster so much this off season.

I give JR a D this off season. He didn’t get an F only because he bought out Johnson.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We are going into the season with an incomplete roster. We don’t have the luxury to wait around until January to wake up.

They easily could have improved this roster so much this off season.

I give JR a D this off season. He didn’t get an F only because he bought out Johnson.

Who would you have targeted for the 3rd line?

I think the 4th line is good there’s quality there for that role so let’s stick to line 3.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are we just going to pretend that McCann hasn't looked fine when he's had to fill in top 6 duty? Remember how well he and Sid meshed? I don't know why so many here hate him. He's a good 3rd liner and an adequate injury fill in. If Sid or Geno go down for a long period of time we're boned whether it's McCann, Haula, Granlund, Bonino, Jordan Staal, John Cullen, etc who fills in.
McCann was solid but he’s the only bottom six player that is capable of playing in the top 6 in a pinch.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lol, people can complain about Jank and Erod and Haula and Granlund ALL they want...Haula and Granlund were never coming here for that price.

I still think we reached out to Haula but I imagine it was more "no I'm not going to Pit for that" rather than JR snubbing him.

Reactions: Khelandros

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Who would you have targeted for the 3rd line?

I think the 4th line is good there’s quality there for that role so let’s stick to line 3.

Lol, you're never going to get anyone to give a name ever. I've tried.

All you're gonna get "I don't know for sure, not Jank/ERod...but ya know, a real NHLer. For example: (insert name that has similar stats to both)".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I think it’s fairly well agreed upon for most here that another 3rd liner would be great. I’d go with a right winger.

The players we signed will play on the 4th line I’d imagine. The only one I think they’d be higher on to play higher would be Rodrigues. They seem to think he has more to give on the ice. Jankowski is a 4th liner unless he can prove that his production/play warrant it.

We have a taxi squad now and cheap guys that can easily go there if we are able to bring in another legit 3rd liner with no big risks.

JR is never done no matter what he says publicly. Moving some guys around and a trade is still possible. We don’t need a world beater on the 3rd line but someone with a bit more skill than say Tanev will provide there.

Looks like it has to be a trade at this stage if one can present itself
The thing is it’d have to be a trade where we move Riikola or Ceci, the preferred option is Ceci, but you just know Riikola is going to get shafted and that’s fine, I want to see him go somewhere else and actually get played. But I agree, the 4th line is where Sceviour and Jankowski should be, as for Rodrigues, he should be on the 4th line, but he also looked ok with McCann and Hornqvist on the 3rd line for a cup of coffee before they decided Marleau and his utter uselessness was a thing.

I still target a RW or something, I actually think we need a LWer for the bottom 6.

Rodrigues
Lafferty
Sceviour

They’re all right handed shots and mostly right wingers that can play LW. But Tanev is a lefty that plays RW and Jankowski is a C that they’ll probably try at wing.

IF and I mean IF they finally say ok you know what we want McCann to be a winger, I still go after a RW then.

Because I would then see the 4th line as: ZAR, Rodrigues/Jankowski, Sceviour/Rodrigues/Lafferty - Which is fine, even if you put Tanev there and go with a better scoring RW on the 3rd line, you essentially take Blueger out of the 4th line and put in Jank or Rod between ZAR and Tanev to be a shutdown line again.

But who the f*** knows...

I just literally watched Ad Astra moments ago and hate myself for it.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The thing is it’d have to be a trade where we move Riikola or Ceci, the preferred option is Ceci, but you just know Riikola is going to get shafted and that’s fine, I want to see him go somewhere else and actually get played. But I agree, the 4th line is where Sceviour and Jankowski should be, as for Rodrigues, he should be on the 4th line, but he also looked ok with McCann and Hornqvist on the 3rd line for a cup of coffee before they decided Marleau and his utter uselessness was a thing.

I still target a RW or something, I actually think we need a LWer for the bottom 6.

Rodrigues
Lafferty
Sceviour

They’re all right handed shots and mostly right wingers that can play LW. But Tanev is a lefty that plays RW and Jankowski is a C that they’ll probably try at wing.

IF and I mean IF they finally say ok you know what we want McCann to be a winger, I still go after a RW then.

Because I would then see the 4th line as: ZAR, Rodrigues/Jankowski, Sceviour/Rodrigues/Lafferty - Which is fine, even if you put Tanev there and go with a better scoring RW on the 3rd line, you essentially take Blueger out of the 4th line and put in Jank or Rod between ZAR and Tanev to be a shutdown line again.

But who the f*** knows...

I just literally watched Ad Astra moments ago and hate myself for it.

I think it'll be E-Rod and ZAR on LW. Has Lafferty played LW?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, people can complain about Jank and Erod and Haula and Granlund ALL they want...Haula and Granlund were never coming here for that price.

I still think we reached out to Haula but I imagine it was more "no I'm not going to Pit for that" rather than JR snubbing him.
Haula has a lot of things said about him, people have a misconception of if he’s a head case or not. It ranges from people thinking he wants to be a top 6 center to some other shit. But it appears the truth is he wants to be a C and is often used as a winger and isn’t happy about it (Granlund didn’t like that sort of thing either as he’s a C that plays W, etc).

Knowing that, whatever THAT is, you really think he’d like it in Pittsburgh? Fehr was pissed off he was signed to be a C and then was used as a winger and made it known when he was in Toronto even though he earned a ring in Pittsburgh. Some players know where they are effective and want to play there, some don’t (McCann), but to come to the Pens on the idea that he will be used in a way will never happen because the Pens will lie about it and do their own thing.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Side note - anyone reupped their NHL Live / Centre Ice subscription?

Seems there is no discount for the coming season nor refund for the 15% less last.

It's cheaper than normal $159CAD right now

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think haula is fine we missed him.

Granlund a little soar but the thing is I think the top 6 is set. And if I'm granlund looking for my payday I ain't picking Pittsburgh

Just kinda repeating what I said 10 threads ago.
Well the Preds have some massive holes, but if Granlund is used on wing, he’s going to play with Duchene instead of Bones like before. So it makes sense, but the only reason I even wanted Granlund was because he’s versatile and he has chemistry with Zucker, so if we did have a bloke emerge like Poulin or O’Connor the Norway league sensation, we could then flank McCann with Granlund and Zucker and we’d get a pretty f***ing sweet 3rd line.

Haula I didn’t really understand, if we were going to move McCann to W, then sure, but I don’t think he wants to be a winger at all and he would have hated it on the Pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cool. I don't think much of him yet except good depth but we'll see. I can see the taxi squad being of benefit to guys like him.
Lafferty is a bit of a mystery with what he is capable of. He shows things in his game that makes you want to see him with Sid on the RW but then all Sullivan seems to do is keep him in the bottom 6 and used sparingly. If you saw the scrimmages on the Pens, Lafferty stood out the most that were not named Zucker, Sid, Geno, Jake or Rust. He was showing he’s capable of more.

SO naturally when we needed a change up on the bottom 6, f***tard Sully throws him in there as a f***ing Center on the 3rd line. When he should have benched Marleau, threw in Rodrigues with McCann and Horqnvist and utilized his 4th line better. So I like Lafferty and his game.

He’s quick. He’s physical, he crashes the net and has a decent shot, he’s like a Swiss Army knife that is forever stuck in a sticky drawer.

I am curious about Lafferty on McCann’s RW, but again, we literally don’t have any strong wingers to make anything like that work, so you are essentially forced to use veterans there, which is Sully’s wanking material, Playboy Veterans of the NHL.

Lafferty deserves to be more than a taxi squad player.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Lafferty is a bit of a mystery with what he is capable of. He shows things in his game that makes you want to see him with Sid on the RW but then all Sullivan seems to do is keep him in the bottom 6 and used sparingly. If you saw the scrimmages on the Pens, Lafferty stood out the most that were not named Zucker, Sid, Geno, Jake or Rust. He was showing he’s capable of more.

SO naturally when we needed a change up on the bottom 6, f***tard Sully throws him in there as a f***ing Center on the 3rd line. When he should have benched Marleau, threw in Rodrigues with McCann and Horqnvist and utilized his 4th line better. So I like Lafferty and his game.

He’s quick. He’s physical, he crashes the net and has a decent shot, he’s like a Swiss Army knife that is forever stuck in a sticky drawer.

I am curious about Lafferty on McCann’s RW, but again, we literally don’t have any strong wingers to make anything like that work, so you are essentially forced to use veterans there, which is Sully’s wanking material, Playboy Veterans of the NHL.

Lafferty deserves to be more than a taxi squad player.

If he can prove he’s better then he earns it. I wouldn’t say deserve though

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, you're never going to get anyone to give a name ever. I've tried.

All you're gonna get "I don't know for sure, not Jank/ERod...but ya know, a real NHLer. For example: (insert name that has similar stats to both)".
Who’s afraid of giving names? The issue is we all assume a lot of things that we don’t know about.

McCann - Is he playing as a Center or Winger? Until we know, we can’t give a name of who we’d want on the 3rd line.
Blueger - Is he the 3C or 4c?
Jankowski - Is he going to be a C or W? He’s been a C for most of his professional career and everywhere else, so naturally they’ll have him play in Goal in Pittsburgh.
Rodrigues - He can play LW, C, and RW, but mostly has played LW and C.
Sceviour - He can play LW and RW, but is better as a RW.
Tanev - He’s a LW/RW but plays mostly on the RW.

We really have no f***ing idea, because this team has never had any sort of stability in the bottom 6 for any stretch of time outside of Blueger’s line and the pairing of McCann with Horny and now Horny is gone.

If McCann is the 3C, I think we have literally all the defensively responsible wingers anyone would want in a bottom 6, which allows you to take a chance on a bloke like Athanasiou. His shortcomings are that he’s not entirely great in his own end, not horrific, but he’s not great there, but he can skate like the wind and can definitely score as he has shown in the past. He’s literally the type of player you give that Ceci contract to.

Athanasiou, McCann, Lafferty/Tanev gives you a bit of everything, I would prefer Lafferty on that RW so you keep Tanev with Blueger.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If he can prove he’s better then he earns it. I wouldn’t say deserve though
Lafferty earned a spot in the playoffs over a lot of players and was decent in the regular season and Sullivan still benched him for a gimped ZAR and Marleau.

Lafferty isn’t someone I am saying should be gifted a spot, he literally earned it with what he showed in the regular season, then in the mini camp before the weird play in shit. If you can find reports and footage on it, I suggest you watch it. It’s not even opinion, it’s straight up facts.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Lafferty earned a spot in the playoffs over a lot of players and was decent in the regular season and Sullivan still benched him for a gimped ZAR and Marleau.

Lafferty isn’t someone I am saying should be gifted a spot, he literally earned it with what he showed in the regular season, then in the mini camp before the weird play in shit. If you can find reports and footage on it, I suggest you watch it. It’s not even opinion, it’s straight up facts.
ZAR had a really strong season, considering his usage. Marleau was just respect to a veteran in the dying embers of his career. Pretty hard to bench.

I'll give Sully a pass here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
ZAR had a really strong season, considering his usage. Marleau was just respect to a veteran. Pretty hard to bench.

I'll give Sully a pass here.

Nah, I don’t. ZAR being played is fine, that 4th line was abused by Sullivan and his usage though, but Marleau was useless for literally every single shift he played for the Pens. Every single f***ing shift. There’s no way I am going to let that slide for some veteran bullshit handjob by Sullivan.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Nah, I don’t. ZAR being played is fine, that 4th line was abused by Sullivan and his usage though, but Marleau was useless for literally every single shift he played for the Pens. Every single f***ing shift. There’s no way I am going to let that slide for some veteran bullshit handjob by Sullivan.
It's easier for us to say that though from our computer chairs. Sully's dealing with human beings face to face. Marleau has deep respect in hockey circles. He came to Pittsburgh for his last shot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's easier for us to say that though from our computer chairs. Sully's dealing with human beings face to face. Marleau has deep respect in hockey circles. He came to Pittsburgh for his last shot.
Mate, I don’t give a f*** about what he’s earned around the league. He came to the Pens and was an embarrassment to watch. He showed no heart or drive while here.

He was the worst forward on the team in the entirety of the playoffs. In the regular season too, he was a head scratcher, The issue is you’re gifting him a spot based on that, yet you don’t seem to get why that’s an issue at all and therein lies the problem with the Sully fans.

Oh Marleau is a legend, he deserved the ice time....right.

Lafferty did start strong in the regular season and was inconsistent, but he is also a rookie in the bottom 6 that was at least playing hard each shift to stay up. He came into camp before the play in and showed a ton of that jump he showed in the start of the season, you use that energy, the Pens lacked so much energy in the playoffs vs the Habs, meanwhile the Habs came in and showed how hungry they were. You’d think using a kid like Lafferty for his hunger would have been beneficial in some way or another, but instead they chose to give a veteran the benefit of the doubt and be absolute shit for more games as a Penguin.

Hey, at least we let him show us longer how f***ing awful he was for his Pens tenure right, boo ya!

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Mate, I don’t give a f*** about what he’s earned around the league. He came to the Pens and was an embarrassment to watch. He showed no heart or drive while here.

He was the worst forward on the team in the entirety of the playoffs. In the regular season too, he was a head scratcher, The issue is you’re gifting him a spot based on that, yet you don’t seem to get why that’s an issue at all and therein lies the problem with the Sully fans.

Oh Marleau is a legend, he deserved the ice time....right.

Lafferty did start strong in the regular season and was inconsistent, but he is also a rookie in the bottom 6 that was at least playing hard each shift to stay up. He came into camp before the play in and showed a ton of that jump he showed in the start of the season, you use that energy, the Pens lacked so much energy in the playoffs vs the Habs, meanwhile the Habs came in and showed how hungry they were. You’d think using a kid like Lafferty for his hunger would have been beneficial in some way or another, but instead they chose to give a veteran the benefit of the doubt and be absolute shit for more games as a Penguin.

Hey, at least we let him show us longer how f***ing awful he was for his Pens tenure right, boo ya!
All I'm saying is I understand Sully here. I woulda preferred seeing Laff as well.
That being said, it woulda made no difference in the end. Pens were beat up and tuned out mentally, ready to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->