Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Please Be Nice To Us, JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Too many LWs, unfortunately.

giphy.gif
He is a right handed shot that is a left winger primarily but was used as a Rw for the Habs and Caps at times and was fine there.

I like Kovalchuk so I'll always be on board if they can make it work but they definitely can't with the cap since it's likely JR will probably bring Back Sheary on a cheap ass deal.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I've been a big fan of Kovalchuk 37 years old though now. We already have so many 700k guys. I don't know if bringing him in makes sense. Unless the goal was for him to improve our powerplay.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I've been a big fan of Kovalchuk 37 years old though now. We already have so many 700k guys. I don't know if bringing him in makes sense. Unless the goal was for him to improve our powerplay.

play with 5D and Kovy is strictly on the PP. We’d probably be better off over Ceci playing :laugh:

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Do you think Kovy could play better defense than Jack Johnson. I realize he isn't coming over as a defensemen but as a hypothetical.

I am pretty sure he would be.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah, I never got why some on this board were down with Zucker. Sure, it was definitely a minority opinion, but Zucker is basically exactly what 99% of people here want out of a top-6 winger for Crosby and Malkin. He's pretty similar of a player to Guentzel, who's the best winger (in terms of both ability and fit) not named Hossa that the Penguins have had in the last 15 years.

Zucker's probably about the 4th or 5th best winger the Penguins have had in the Crosby and Malkin era. Below Hossa, Guentzel and probably Kessel (but I could be swayed if you mention how Kessel didn't fit with Sid or Geno), but right on par with Kunitz.
Iginla

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The 2017 cup style should not be the goal to emulate. We got outshot and out chanced. We had players playing through tough injuries Dumoulin (hands), Hornqvist (broken fingers), Schultz (cracked ribs) and Hagelin (broken fibula).

Our stars had to do the scoring and the rest just had to hang on. Murray and Fleury had save percentages of .937 and .924 respectively.

It was a huge effort from everyone involved and much respect to that cup win through all the adversity but we’ve had 2 sweepings and 2 goals in 8 games from forwards outside the top 6 ATOI. We still have 5 of those forwards from the Montreal series.

I never said it was something to be emulated. Someone posted that all the Pens Cups followed the 3 scoring line model. I was just pointing out that 2017 was not. I never said it was something to emulate.

Bottom line is this team is better to start the year than any Pens team in a while. This season Zucker and Kapanen start the year in the top 6 over Simon and Galchenyk who started in the top 6 to start last year which is a huge improvement. Also Marino, Matheson, and Ceci start the year over JJ, Schultz, and Gudbranson who started in the top 6 defense last year for the first game which is another big improvement. Jankowski is also an improvement over what Bjugstad gave us last year which is nothing. I think this team has the makings of a very good team. To do that with having to cut the real money payroll to under $75 million makes it more impressive.

Also don't discount improvements from within such as Poulin, O'Connor, POJ, Lee, Maniscalco, and others that might force their way into the lineup. Last year nobody thought Marino would have any shot before camp opened but he played his way into the lineup. I could see one or more of those players doing the same. It is not a long shot to see Poulin or O'Connor beat out someone like Rodriguez or Lafferty. I think the defense is set for now but when an injury or two happens I could see one of those defenseman getting a shot and making the most of it to force the team to play them.

Players like Rust, Sheary, Khunhackle, Wilson, and others came out of nowhere to help the 2016 Pens win the Cup. The team that started that year couldn't win. I think this team has more pieces to win than that team started with.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If this was any other off season, I’d say the trade was okay. But when Tor needed cap relief, it just seems like we were the desperate team, not them. I like Kap, but I don’t know if he will mesh with Sid.

I just think it was a drastic overpayment for this off season. If the cap had gone up, it’s a fair deal.
The thing is, Kapanen is good and cheap. TOR needed to shed cap but it would be like us trading Rust. In COVID land, contracts that are low-dollar are valuable even if you are adding cap. So, maybe the Penguins were overpaying but it's because Kapanen is young, cheap, and can produce. It's why Hornqvist wasn't dumped: he was lateralled for a roughly equal cap hit on defense. Toronto got value for Kapanen but tbh I don't think it was an overpay.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
So JR was supposed to have the FA list a month in advance, eh? Your expectation is a crystal ball that let's him know exactly which teams won't be resigning which players and also the terms in which they will agree to? In order to "call a spade a spade" you have to ignore so much context that I don't know whether you're too dumb or too impatient...likely both.

Show me details where Craig Smith said he would have signed with the Penguins? You operate and criticize under the premise that every player would come here if JR had just offered them the contract. That is simply not true. The base of your argument is a hypothetical that YOU dream up. It's hardly grounds for anything reasonable.

Kapanen makes $3.2mil this year and next and fits the description of exactly who they were looking for. This wasn't a UFA at the TDL. That said, there were multiple teams interested. It's not like Kapanen was out front with a sale tag on that was struck through multiple times. Jesus man.

Nurrrr, curz den Jay Are wudda signed da guyz I wanted!!! Then he wudda been smurt!

First 6 are interesting, the rest - blah. That said there are some on there where I'm like...JR...this guy over ERod, easy.

I think Hoffman is waiting it out and I think Haula has got to have something planned out. Can't imagine no one has reached out to him unless there's some undisclosed info (like a big injury) that's scaring teams away.

Like how do some of these guys get signed but not Duclair, Caggiula, or Granlund? Were they asking for too much? Even Sami Vatanen is a weird FA at this point.
Duclair absolutely was, and he screwed himself because of that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The thing is, Kapanen is good and cheap. TOR needed to shed cap but it would be like us trading Rust. In COVID land, contracts that are low-dollar are valuable even if you are adding cap. So, maybe the Penguins were overpaying but it's because Kapanen is young, cheap, and can produce. It's why Hornqvist wasn't dumped: he was lateralled for a roughly equal cap hit on defense. Toronto got value for Kapanen but tbh I don't think it was an overpay.

Signed this year and next to a good value contract (relative to the norm). It's not like this was a UFA Kapanen at the TDL that we had no intentions of keeping because he was due a large raise.

Haven't seen a Pens x post today. And I went a while without seeing a ronduguay's hair post... What a coincidence.

He's off pouting in the corner still.

Eeyore_%28Disney_character%29.png

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Signed this year and next to a good value contract (relative to the norm). It's not like this was a UFA Kapanen at the TDL that we had no intentions of keeping because he was due a large raise.

I think that's the biggest thing is Kapanen may have cost assets but 2 years of a 40+ point guy at 2.1 mill is awesome

Edit: fixed quoting problem

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens have what, 1.3m in cap space right now?

If they really wanted Haula or to keep Sheary, they’ll find a way. I still think Riikola is the odd man out, not sure why the hell they signed him if they were always insistent on adding a RHD. They made his whole thing about how Riikola can play RD and they have Chad Ruhwedel and if need be, Trotman is also available to them. But then they go and waste more cap space on Ceci and that’s after JR said the above. Not sure if Reirden or Sully said no we want another right handed bloke with experience or what, but it’s stupid.

I would rather they just traded Riikola to recoup that cap space and use it elsewhere. There’s no way they are going to keep 8 defensemen up on the big club, they likely won’t waive Ruhwedel to WBS, so one will go.

Ah well, why even bother, this roster is a bit of a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad