Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now Jack Johnson Free The Rest Doesn’t Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
They also have 9 goals in 84 games combined in the playoffs.

According to Rutherford's comments they see Jankowski as the third line center and McCann as his LW. I'm assuming they aren't breaking up the Aston-Reese, Blueger and Tanev line. So that means Rodrigues or Sceviour will be our third line RW or maybe Poulin who knows? They really have to hope Jankowski can repeat what he did in 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 because it's going to be hard to watch if he can't.

Even if he can he topped out at 32 points

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think there is legitimate doubt that even if Jankowski rebounds “is it good enough”. The good news is that its a contract that can be burried if you find a better guy so, no real harm i guess

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
ZAR is out until February and I think it's very likely that he loses his roster spot due to that.

I get why people think that BART is going to stay together, but I honestly don't think it will. Blueger-Tanev will stay together, but I think ZAR's done as a regular for the Penguins. His decline offensively plus a rather serious surgery makes me think he's done.

I think there is legitimate doubt that even if Jankowski rebounds “is it good enough”. The good news is that its a contract that can be burried if you find a better guy so, no real harm i guess

Only for people who have unreasonable expectations out of their 3C.

If Jankowski rebounds, he'll likely be a ~15 goal, ~35 point center that's excellent defensively and good with faceoffs. The idea that isn't "good enough" out of your 3C is completely from having a warped idea of what a 3C should be from having Jordan Staal.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I can’t stand McCann, but not like I can change it so whatever.

ZAR hopefully never plays for this team again (despite what his fancy stat white knights say, he actively hurts this team every playoffs).

Other than that, I’m fine with the rest, but feel strongly they need to infuse some reliable skill on those lines.

A legit, skilled third pivot would go a long way towards resolving that. However, JR has been chasing that pink unicorn for years.

Yeah, I'm not sure McCann fits here. I don't actually anticipate him finishing his contract here.

I agree about ZAR.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
ZAR is out until February and I think it's very likely that he loses his roster spot due to that.

I get why people think that BART is going to stay together, but I honestly don't think it will. Blueger-Tanev will stay together, but I think ZAR's done as a regular for the Penguins. His decline offensively plus a rather serious surgery makes me think he's done.

Only for people who have unreasonable expectations out of their 3C.

If Jankowski rebounds, he'll likely be a ~15 goal, ~35 point center that's excellent defensively and good with faceoffs. The idea that isn't "good enough" out of your 3C is completely from having a warped idea of what a 3C should be from having Jordan Staal.

I think thats a pretty high bar for a guys thats scored a career high of 32 and Averages less than 25.

Hes closer to a C version of ZAR than a legit 3c

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think thats a pretty high bar for a guys thats scored a career high of 32 and Averages less than 25.

Hes closer to a C version of ZAR than a legit 3c

Jankowski from 2017-2019 on the Flames was no worse than Bonino was on the Penguins in his 2 years in Pittsburgh. The only difference was that Bonino got way better linemates and got way more PP minutes.

If you play 2017-2019 Jankowski in the same role that Bonino was used in from 2015-2017, why wouldn't he be able to do it? In 2 years in Pittsburgh, Bonino had 51 ES points in 143 games while playing a ton with Kessel. Jankowski over those two years had 44 ES points in 151 games while not playing with Kessel.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Jankowski from 2017-2019 on the Flames was no worse than Bonino was on the Penguins in his 2 years in Pittsburgh. The only difference was that Bonino got way better linemates and got way more PP minutes.

If you play 2017-2019 Jankowski in the same role that Bonino was used in from 2015-2017, why wouldn't he be able to do it? In 2 years in Pittsburgh, Bonino had 51 ES points in 143 games while playing a ton with Kessel. Jankowski over those two years had 44 ES points in 151 games while not playing with Kessel.

Looking through Flames threads, they started shitting on him two off seasons ago.

I think he's closer to a better ZAR than a 3C.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Looking through Flames threads, they started shitting on him two off seasons ago.

I think he's closer to a better ZAR than a 3C.

Fans do stupid things all of the time. Judging a player based on what fans say about them is horribly flawed because fans aren't unbiased.

Look, Jankowski is very likely Riley Sheahan 2.0. He's not this amazing piece or anything like that. However, that's still a piece that is completely good enough to win with if you surround them with the right players and right talent. Or at least if he rebounds, he will absolutely be good enough out of your 3C if you surround him with talent. A rebounded Jankowski with McCann and Poulin has the potential to be a really good 2-way 3rd line.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
As of right now, it looks like the third line is McCann, Jankowski, Sceviour. that is not a great third line but at least it does have a mix of size, grit and positional play. TB, Tanev and E Rod has nice speed and can add some PK as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Fans do stupid things all of the time. Judging a player based on what fans say about them is horribly flawed because fans aren't unbiased.

Look, Jankowski is very likely Riley Sheahan 2.0. He's not this amazing piece or anything like that. However, that's still a piece that is completely good enough to win with if you surround them with the right players and right talent.

I'll trust fans who've seen quality hockey and have watched the player for years.

Calgary ain't Florida where they've been shit forever.

Their fans seem to think he's a winger, not a center. Alot of his production was from moving up the lineup and his draft pedigree kept him in the lineup.

Doesn't seem like those are outrageous things to say.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This board would turn on Bonino (again) within a month of him playing here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
JR didn’t JR yesterday and we should all consider that a win.

The E-rod stuff is kind of funny, but not enough to get mad about.

When MM deal was announced, I think most Pens fans likely realized JR did quite well with that situation also.

Pens only have possibly one bad deal on their books right now, so I’m not going to complain.

My expectations aren’t high enough with this team right now to get bent over anything TBTH.

This is a playoff team but not a contender unless a bunch of things go right.

It is what it is and I’m ok with it. If Poulin makes the team, I’ll enjoy watching him develop as much as anything.

I think they have three bad contracts rn, obviously depending on what these players do, but they are Matheson, Tanev and Pettersson...

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
What is the fascination with hating McCann?

You complain because there’s no offense in the bottom 6....all the guy does is shoot. He signed a nice no risk bridge deal and doesn’t look out of place playing top 6 spot duty. He’s not perfect, but there are a lot worse 3rd liners out there.

What do you expect? A third line of Hall-Stamkos-Pasta?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not what I said at all. But ok.

Sure thing, hoss. Care to tell me anything else about how much better and knowledgable people in Calgary are? :laugh: I'll guarantee Calgarians know more about shitty country line dances, that's for sure.

I just find it funny that anyone asserts that any board here knows what they're talking about. We're all just morons on the internet!

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What is the fascination with hating McCann?

You complain because there’s no offense in the bottom 6....all the guy does is shoot. He signed a nice no risk bridge deal and doesn’t look out of place playing top 6 spot duty. He’s not perfect, but there are a lot worse 3rd liners out there.

What do you expect? A third line of Hall-Stamkos-Pasta?

My problem is we have too many players with tunnel goggles. I'd take another Blueger.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

1. he cant be used in that because we dont have a kessel and wont have a kessel.

Bonino before HBK Bonino was replaceable at best.

I give the guy credit for his run but if HBK never happens there is a good chance Bonino is just another disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad