Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Now Jack Johnson Free The Rest Doesn’t Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not even for 1.1 million?

You'd need a proper bean counter to work it out but I suspect he'd lost money signing for us at 1.1m over taking 1m in no-tax Florida. Even if he did make more, he's hardly making enough extra to make it worth considering over other factors i.e. going to play for a coach he's played for before and who he trusts. I'm not sure how much you have to give him to make him overlook that, but it's probably a good deal more than 1.1m - at which point we lose the flexibility we have left.

Every player in our bottom six besides Jankowski and Rodrigues who I don’t believe are regulars at this point are good for 10 goals minimum.

Jankowski bounces back to Calgary form and he's probably the bottom six's leading goal scorer.

That Brodie deal is a nice one for the Leafs. He would have been a really nice addition instead of Matheson.

I doubt moving Hornqvist for no cap back was ever really an option.

I'm just going through the player signing threads right now. And I'm surprised to see the lack of complaining of said move blocks Poulin.

Maybe the complaining was in the megathread? :laugh:

There was a five minute burst where something Rutherford said about our third line today made people think he wouldn't have a way through, but no more. It's too transparent that it couldn't be easier for Poulin to bust into this line-up - bar actually leaving a slot entirely open for him and publicly saying why - to complain about.

The upset is more around the fact that it looks like Rutherford is relying on Poulin stepping right in as a useful LW.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Very happy with how yesterday turned out. Added versatility on one year, league-minimum contracts. Really the best you can hope for in free agency.

And another team actually said that "hey, let's sign Jack Johnson immediately, and not for league minimum". Goes to show what JR isn't the only one in the league...

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Will be interesting to see who remains unsigned after a few days, maybe we get lucky and somebody we want but cant afford just now has to end up dropping their salary demands. Might be our best shot at an upgrade for 3C or RHD.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Just noting that we have a 2nd, 5th, and three 7ths in the 2021 draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Very happy with how yesterday turned out. Added versatility on one year, league-minimum contracts. Really the best you can hope for in free agency.

And another team actually said that "hey, let's sign Jack Johnson immediately, and not for league minimum". Goes to show what JR isn't the only one in the league...

JR didn’t JR yesterday and we should all consider that a win.

The E-rod stuff is kind of funny, but not enough to get mad about.

When MM deal was announced, I think most Pens fans likely realized JR did quite well with that situation also.

Pens only have possibly one bad deal on their books right now, so I’m not going to complain.

My expectations aren’t high enough with this team right now to get bent over anything TBTH.

This is a playoff team but not a contender unless a bunch of things go right.

It is what it is and I’m ok with it. If Poulin makes the team, I’ll enjoy watching him develop as much as anything.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
JR didn’t JR yesterday and we should all consider that a win.

The E-rod stuff is kind of funny, but not enough to get mad about.

When MM deal was announced, I think most Pens fans likely realized JR did quite well with that situation also.

Pens only have possibly one bad deal on their books right now, so I’m not going to complain.

My expectations aren’t high enough with this team right now to get bent over anything TBTH.

This is a playoff team but not a contender unless a bunch of things go right.

It is what it is and I’m ok with it. If Poulin makes the team, I’ll enjoy watching him develop as much as anything.

It seems like JR is trying to pack the bottom 6 and let things shake themselves out. I think we have a very capable bottom 6, and I don't think he's done yet.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It seems like JR is trying to pack the bottom 6 and let things shake themselves out. I think we have a very capable bottom 6, and I don't think he's done yet.

I can’t stand McCann, but not like I can change it so whatever.

ZAR hopefully never plays for this team again (despite what his fancy stat white knights say, he actively hurts this team every playoffs).

Other than that, I’m fine with the rest, but feel strongly they need to infuse some reliable skill on those lines.

A legit, skilled third pivot would go a long way towards resolving that. However, JR has been chasing that pink unicorn for years.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The fourth like with TB, Secviour and Tanev is a basis for a good line. The issue is the third line and is McCann going to emerge here. Add in the recent pick ups and Poulin and Lafferty and maybe another add in Angelo and a FA 1 million or so and see what shakes out. Wild card is O'Connor as well. Love to see another Marino type camp from him or Maniscalco to really improve the play.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm going to assume that certain posters are upset with the signings the Pens made because those players "block" Poulin? Is this correct?

I love the deals, low risk and players in primes. I also don't think this blocks Poulin or anyone else. If Poulin comes into camp and shows he is ready and better than other players in the top 9 then he will get his shot.

The only thing I wish we could of got was a 3 RD. Chris Tanev for 4 years at $4.5 would not of been that bad of a deal. I don't know how we get the extra $2 million to have afforded him but I would of been tempted to trade Pettersson and go with this.

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Tanev
POJ-Marino
Riikola-Rhuwedel

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The fourth like with TB and Tanev is a basis for a good line. The issue is the third line and is McCann going to emerge here. Add in the recent pick ups and Poulin and Lafferty and maybe another add in Angelo and a FA 1 million or so and see what shakes out. wild card is O'connor as well. Love to see another Marino type camp from him or Maniscalco to really improve the play.

Pens at least have some big bodies now in Poulin, Laff, O,Connor and Jankowski (even though he isn’t known for being physical).

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Each draft has it's own talent level and Pens taking two goalies and then a crap shoot is where the Pens are. No number 1 next year and GMJR has to bring in bodies to see who can be extended next year. This is the way the Pens have to operate. with the draft not a big pipeline here cheap FA and college signings are needed to offset the trades of picks. If the NHL can return to fans and revenue, and possibly a nice increase in the US TV contract, maybe the cap goes up to help the cause.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Every player in our bottom six besides Jankowski and Rodrigues who I don’t believe are regulars at this point are good for 10 goals minimum.

They also have 9 goals in 84 games combined in the playoffs.

According to Rutherford's comments they see Jankowski as the third line center and McCann as his LW. I'm assuming they aren't breaking up the Aston-Reese, Blueger and Tanev line. So that means Rodrigues or Sceviour will be our third line RW or maybe Poulin who knows? They really have to hope Jankowski can repeat what he did in 2016-2017 or 2017-2018 because it's going to be hard to watch if he can't.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think Fleury to Carolina is the most likely outcome at this point, but I'm a little concerned because Friedman linked New Jersey, Minnesota and Pittsburgh as players for Fleury and the 2 other teams are definitely out on Fleury now.

What other options are there for MAF? Chicago is apparently fine with going with Subban-Delia next year, which is a comically bad tandem but whatever. Edmonton is basically in the same spot as Pittsburgh for how to make a Fleury trade work. Carolina makes the most sense, but they also have to move one of their goalies. I can't even think of another team that makes sense.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You'd need a proper bean counter to work it out but I suspect he'd lost money signing for us at 1.1m over taking 1m in no-tax Florida. Even if he did make more, he's hardly making enough extra to make it worth considering over other factors i.e. going to play for a coach he's played for before and who he trusts. I'm not sure how much you have to give him to make him overlook that, but it's probably a good deal more than 1.1m - at which point we lose the flexibility we have left.

Jankowski bounces back to Calgary form and he's probably the bottom six's leading goal scorer.

I doubt moving Hornqvist for no cap back was ever really an option.

There was a five minute burst where something Rutherford said about our third line today made people think he wouldn't have a way through, but no more. It's too transparent that it couldn't be easier for Poulin to bust into this line-up - bar actually leaving a slot entirely open for him and publicly saying why - to complain about.

The upset is more around the fact that it looks like Rutherford is relying on Poulin stepping right in as a useful LW.

I agree with much of your post but not the Poulin part. How is Rutherford relying on Poulin stepping right in as a useful LW? Don't get me wrong I wanted Poulin to have a good chance to be the 3 LW. I don't see the ease of getting into the top 9 as a LW. Maybe as the 3 RW if he can play RW well. I see no way Poulin beats out anyone of the 3 LW players this season with Guentzel, Zucker, and McCann on the left. I also don't want Poulin to play as a 4th line player and stunt is offensive development. I think that is the only way he makes this team as a LW. So I say he is blocked hard unless he can play right wing as effective as his left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad