Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Marc my words, they'll get him signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In a different tweet he mention trade or waivers so its probably just sending down Trotman + Riikola/Ruh

I don't see why that would be the case, because you don't need to be cap compliant until the start of the season. If you get there just by waiving those two, why is there a hold-up in signing Pettersson? You're not limited for when you can waive those two like you're limited when you can make trades (based on trade partners).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I doubt we see that. Given who needs contracts next summer, I suspect that JJ's spot is going to get filled internally unless we can land another young cheap blueliner to replace him.

That's next season though. And given how regularly Rutherford has traded expiring assets for ones with term recently, I don't think it'd bother him to exchange term for term if it makes the team stronger short term

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I don't see why that would be the case, because you don't need to be cap compliant until the start of the season. If you get there just by waiving those two, why is there a hold-up in signing Pettersson? You're not limited for when you can waive those two like you're limited when you can make trades (based on trade partners).
Yeah thats a good point. I guess we'll see very soon.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
There's no comparison. JJ is an AHL level D-man. Cole was never that for us.
IMO Cole was our best d-man in the first 2 series in the 2017 run. He helped us advance. Especially against Columbus. In fact he was stellar that whole regular season too. Cole-Schultz combo was dynamite, especially considering Letang going down and their increased responsibilities.

That's just something JJ isn't capable of doing. I don't hate the guy but if he got replaced by Riikola, Prow or Ruhwedel then I'd like our chances of winning games more. Hell, Addison probably could outplay him too.

Unfortunately, the Pens don't have Prow anymore. Shame. I think he should have been given a chance.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'm cool with that. Thanks MP for doing us a solid.

how long after a player signs a contract can they sign another? i.e. let's say they can't sign him to a 3 year 3M/per contract now (just throwing random numbers out). because the cap hit would be 3M this season. can they sign him to 1M for this season, then turn right around and sign him for a 3 yr/3.5M contact the next week thus getting him the term and a tad bit more money that we wanted to do but we get relief this season, the player gets the $$$ he wants as NHL contracts are assured things.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
how long after a player signs a contract can they sign another? i.e. let's say they can't sign him to a 3 year 3M/per contract now (just throwing random numbers out). because the cap hit would be 3M this season. can they sign him to 1M for this season, then turn right around and sign him for a 3 yr/3.5M contact the next week thus getting him the term and a tad bit more money that we wanted to do but we get relief this season, the player gets the $$$ he wants as NHL contracts are assured things.

January 1st

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Exactly, they don't need to make a move until Oct 2 in order to sign Petts if he's being signed to a cheap one year deal with the plan to waive a couple guys...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exactly, they don't need to make a move until Oct 2 in order to sign Petts if he's being signed to a cheap one year deal with the plan to waive a couple guys...

I think they may be trying to trade one of those guys that they may be waiving. I think if you include the assumption that Riikola would not get claimed off waivers (or that the Penguins want to give Riikola a place in the NHL), the hold-up does make sense. The Penguins tend to not send guys on 1-way deals to the AHL, because giving a player a 1-way deal is their way of saying "you're a full time NHLer now". I could see the Penguins trying to find a NHL landing spot for Riikola, instead of waiving him and putting him in WBS.

You can replace "Riikola" with "Ruhwedel" and also have this be true. I guess it's also possible to apply this to DeSmith, although I think that's much more unlikely.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not really a solid. He easily could make 5-10 more million dollars this way.

I know but it's a solid to help the Pens get cap compliant this year. Not every player wants to sign a 1 year deal. I figured a bridge deal in the 2-2.5MM range was in his best interest.

Reactions: Riptide

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Okay, so what basis do you have to support any of this? Because you just seem to be saying that this is true because you say it's true. Statistically, you're not right. Why is Cole a better shot blocker than Johnson? Why is Cole a better hitter? Why is Johnson not a good PKer? Actually provide some support points instead of just making claims. There are stats that prove things like PKing ability (PK relative xGA, for example). You can come up with videos that could support Cole being a better shot blocker or hitter. But you're not doing anything of that.

I hate discussing JJ on here because a lot of the people who insists he sucks refuse to put any effort behind the claim. The stats behind the argument for Johnson sucking are really, really easy to find, I promise you of that. It's just annoying that I go through the effort of actually looking at stats to make an argument, and the reply I get is "lol you're wrong, Johnson sucks". It's a slap in the face of anyone who actually takes time to add something of value to the discussion. I honestly take offense to replies like that.

I don't know if you woke up on the contrarian side of the bed this morning or what, but the idea that Cole is better than Johnson (and better at the things Spartan is saying he is) doesn't really need to be qualified. Cole is obviously better--and at pretty much everything. It's not even close. What you're doing would be like demanding proof that Rust is better for us than Kobasew was. The gap between what the players in question contribute(d) is so large that it would be a waste of someone's time typing out specific substantiation for why this is. It's comparing cake to death.

Cole was pretty good for the Pens. Johnson is really bad. A more in-depth comparison between the two players doesn't serve any purpose that I can think of.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know if you woke up on the contrarian side of the bed this morning or what, but the idea that Cole is better than Johnson (and better at the things Spartan is saying he is) doesn't really need to be qualified. Cole is obviously better--and at pretty much everything. It's not even close. What you're doing would be like demanding proof that Rust is better for us than Kobasew was. The gap between what the players in question contribute(d) is so large that it would be a waste of someone's time typing out specific substantiation for why this is. It's comparing cake to death.

Cole is pretty good. Johnson is really bad. A more in-depth comparison between the two players doesn't serve any purpose that I can think of.

And if that was the case, it would take you a grand total of 3 minutes to throw together an actual argument for it. Spare me this "it's so obvious" crap, if you're going to reply to one of my arguments, actually bring something to the table beyond "because I say so".

It's really not that hard of a concept. If someone takes the time to throw together a stats based argument, don't reply to them if you're just going to lazily brush them off. If I'm going to spend time throwing together stats that suggest that they're not that far apart, and your reply is "nah you're wrong, Cole is obviously better", I'm just going to consider you an ass. Not because you disagree, but because you're giving me a middle finger for brushing aside a backed up argument just because it doesn't agree with your opinion. If that's asking too much, literally just don't reply.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And if that was the case, it would take you a grand total of 3 minutes to throw together an actual argument for it. Spare me this "it's so obvious" crap, if you're going to reply to one of my arguments, actually bring something to the table beyond "because I say so".

It's really not that hard of a concept. If someone takes the time to throw together a stats based argument, don't reply to them if you're just going to lazily brush them off.

Sorry. You can't claim that your time is being wasted by being forced to read something, when you're asking others to spend even more time proving something that is self-evident to any person with eyes who has watched any amount of hockey at all. I don't understand what the purpose is of demanding that someone else prove that cake is preferable to death. You know it is, so why are you arguing this at all?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sorry. You can't claim that your time is being wasted by being forced to read something, when you're asking others to spend even more time proving something that is self-evident to any person with eyes who has watched any amount of hockey at all. I don't understand what the purpose is of demanding that someone else prove that cake is preferable to death.

Okay, then don't reply to my posts then. There you go, easy solution. If I'm going to put in effort into making an argument and you're not going to put in effort to make a rebuttal, don't respond. You're just being a jerk to whoever took the time to come up with the argument, even if you don't agree with it.

Like for real, how much effort would it take to make a rebuttal to that? "Here are some xGA/60 stats on the PK, those show that Cole is better on the PK". Okay, that's one argument. "Here's a clip of Johnson running out of position to make a big hit, only to get burned. Here's a clip of Cole playing the body smartly". Okay, that's another argument. Expecting people to give even a shred of effort in reply to arguments you took time to make really isn't asking too much.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder if theres a trade out for there for an expiring or 1-2 years left 3.5mil+ player that we could swap JJ for and then buyout. Havent checked numbers but is that a route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->