Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Level of Interest Meter Pegged At Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ok...

Here's one from the Horny signing thread: I know people have talked about "oh what about years 4/5". Who cares. Have you seen our PP the recent games that he's missed? Hornqvist at 5.3m for 5 years is a good deal for us. It's not a great deal... but it's a really good one that is cheap enough that it will allow us to continue being a very good team.

You should note in the same thread what my thoughts on the signing were.

And I still stand by that. It's not a great deal, but it is a good one.

You can't trade him until you have an effective replacement for him on PP1. However once you do, then that changes things. At least then if you need cap/roster space he becomes a viable option to move (even with his NTC), but only after you've found someone who can take his PP1 spot and actually do a good job there. Because while we saw Guentzel take his spot last season, the PP was dreadful whenever he wasn't there. In 2017 it wasn't all that bad, but then we had Kunitz who was effective there.

So sure we can trade Hornqvist... but only IF we can find an effective replacement for him on the PP. Until then we very much need him, even if that means putting him on L3 during the RS.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And I still stand by that. It's not a great deal, but it is a good one.

You can't trade him until you have an effective replacement for him on PP1. However once you do, then that changes things. At least then if you need cap/roster space he becomes a viable option to move (even with his NTC), but only after you've found someone who can take his PP1 spot and actually do a good job there. Because while we saw Guentzel take his spot last season, the PP was dreadful whenever he wasn't there. In 2017 it wasn't all that bad, but then we had Kunitz who was effective there.

So sure we can trade Hornqvist... but only IF we can find an effective replacement for him on the PP. Until then we very much need him, even if that means putting him on L3 during the RS.

If I’m not mistaken Hornqvist best run of points came from being with Cullen and Sheahan during October and November last year.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Theres more to defense than the defensemen.

Some people get that, some dont

Oh, I don't understand defense huh, and or it's importance to the offense huh?? got it

That's gold

Let me clarify, I simply choose not to blame our 5 on 5 output solely or mostly on D. There was a structural problem with our offense last season and it points directly to the coaching, style and personnel choices that were employed.

I know... BLAME JJ

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Oh, I don't understand defense huh, and or it's importance to the offense huh?? got it

That's gold

Let me clarify, I simply choose not to blame our 5 on 5 output solely or mostly on D. There was a structural problem with our offense last season and it points directly to the coaching, style and personnel choices that were employed.

I know... BLAME JJ

I saw a lack of a transition game when Letang wasn't on the ice.

What did you see?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If I’m not mistaken Hornqvist best run of points came from being with Cullen and Sheahan during October and November last year.

Think he only got 3 from that line; certainly be difficult for him to get more as that line only 3 goals in those 6 games.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I saw a lack of a transition game when Letang wasn't on the ice.

What did you see?

I saw a mixed bag of parts at forward playing a style that they were no longer suited for or capable of. It worked 5-7 years ago because Sid and or Geno would go god mode, but they can no longer sustain that in their 30's.

I actually like what JR has done so far this offseason, but one big move remains and I'm hoping that Horny or Rust are involved.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If Tanev could turn into the "new" Dupuis that'd be amazing. High hopes, yes, but I don't think it's an impossibility.

Dupuis having to stop playing hockey because of his medical issues really was unfortunate, but it allowed the Pens to inject new youth into the team.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Tanev could turn into the "new" Dupuis that'd be amazing. High hopes, yes, but I don't think it's an impossibility.

Dupuis having to stop playing hockey because of his medical issues really was unfortunate, but it allowed the Pens to inject new youth into the team.

It was very unfortunate for Dupuis but that sudden extra bit of cap space was arguably vital to us winning in 15-16.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I’ve made my opinion for this known.

But, I do question why people aren’t wishing for Kahun to have a upper progression point wise. If he can hit around 40-45 ES while playing with Sid that’d be much more likely.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

But, I do question why people aren’t wishing for Kahun to have a upper progression point wise. If he can hit around 40-45 ES while playing with Sid that’d be much more likely.

I get why considering the ludicrous nature of the contract and how that will spark much more conversation but it's odd to me how little people are talking about Kahun. I think that's the gem in the "new" group, honestly. If we're looking for someone to possibly break out I feel like it would be him. He has experience playing with high level forwards which is important because it at least shows he can keep up. As opposed to speculating... with him there is precedent.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

That's gold

I know... BLAME JJ

The problem was mainly a combination of 2 things:

1. Our transition game primarily relies on 2 defensemen, and one or the other was injured for virtually the entire season.

2. We had an objectively terrible defenseman who drags down everyone in his orbit getting top 4 minutes when he shouldn't even have been in the top 6.

35so2j.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What about Stefan Bergkvist, Chris Wells or Konstantin Koltzov? Come on man, get with it!;)

Hey! You leave Konstantin Koltzov alone! He was a star on Chasing the Dream! And he provided is the best hockey name since Darius Kasparaitis and Zarley Zalapski. Tread lightly!

That's gold

I know... BLAME JJ

I'm actually not even 100% sure what you're arguing...?

Sad indeed but I do think people tend to understate what his retirement did for this team. We talk about the 3 trades and firing Johnston for Sullivan but we do forget that this forced youth on to the team which was insurmountably important.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I get why considering the ludicrous nature of the contract and how that will spark much more conversation but it's odd to me how little people are talking about Kahun. I think that's the gem in the "new" group, honestly. If we're looking for someone to possibly break out I feel like it would be him. He has experience playing with high level forwards which is important because it at least shows he can keep up. As opposed to speculating... with him there is precedent.

Exactly.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kahun
Gally - Malkin - Rust

Is a pretty solid top six and gives us real depth in the bottom six.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

1. Our transition game primarily relies on 2 defensemen, and one or the other was injured for virtually the entire season.

2. We had an objectively terrible defenseman who drags down everyone in his orbit getting top 4 minutes when he shouldn't even have been in the top 6.

35so2j.jpg

I seem to remember Kessel and Geno actually looking decent together for about 2 weeks when Hags was placed on their line; And once he was gone, they looked like steaming poop. Care to explain what JJ had to do with that?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Re #2: At least he wasn't getting top 4 minutes in the POs. In fact his TOI was going down every game. He started as our #4D (ES/TOTOI) in his first game (GM#2), and by his 2nd game (GM#3) dropped to #6. He stayed at #6 in GM#4 and saw 2+ less minutes that game vs GM#3.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm sure everyone's "wishing" for Kahun to have an upper progression point-wise. And of course it could happen - he's young and was productive in his rookie season. But one significant difference between he and some other new additions is that he already got very favourable deployment on a line with two guys who scored 81 and 76 points:

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

He's shown he can play with talent, which can be a positive, but it's not like he'd be seeing a comparable upgrade in linemates or usage.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Fair question. The Big Kahuna does seem the most likely to break out and establish himself as a top 6 fixture, not least because that's pretty much what he was in Chicago.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm sure everyone's "wishing" for Kahun to have an upper progression point-wise. And of course it could happen - he's young and was productive in his rookie season. But one significant difference between he and some other new additions is that he already got very favourable deployment on a line with two guys who scored 81 and 76 points:

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

He's shown he can play with talent, which can be a positive, but it's not like he'd be seeing a comparable upgrade in linemates or usage.

But his zone starts were 53 47 and he could easily see 60-40 here so automatic 10 points!

But in seriousness. It looks like he was tossed between Saad and Toews and Debrincat and Strome.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Who says I'm not? :laugh:

And, speaking of Dupuis:

‘Irresponsible’: Mike Sullivan Pushes Back on Pascal Dupuis Comments

I wonder how that reads now...

I felt like both were right. Duper was probably 100% correct but that doesnt mean you should air the teams dirty laundry on air. Thats not fair to the team, Sullivan, or Geno/Phil. In a team sport, theres always going to be a daily grind. Always. Sometimes a team/coach should get the benefit of a little privacy. Duper violated that trust IMHO so I agree with Sullivan that it was irresponsible. Whether what he was truthful or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->