Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Following your logic, why is Crosby exempt then?

Trading Malkin decimates the top 6, and we’d need to replace him with another C somehow. As @Gurglesons said, Malkin is a legacy player and likely will finish his career here, along with Crosby.

We aren't trading any of our 3 core players so this is a waste of time discussing it. Any trade makes us worse so you might as well trade everyone at that point. Mario isn't going to let that happen and I am with him. Those 3 are retiring as Pens if they want to. They gave us 3 Cups and I am fine with some down years after they leave. We have been the most successful team in the NHL since they arrived as a group. You guys don't like it then go cheer for another team.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Hypothetically if you get a UFA RD in 2021 for him in the trade like Manson you could run this..

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - Manson
POJ - Matheson

Or something similar depending what happens in the ED.

I rather have what we have know.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Ceci/Matheson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

That is a pretty strong group and someone like Matheson can impress over the next month or so while Dumoulin is out and make this group even stronger than it is now.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
We aren't trading any of our 3 core players so this is a waste of time discussing it. Any trade makes us worse so you might as well trade everyone at that point. Mario isn't going to let that happen and I am with him. Those 3 are retiring as Pens if they want to. They gave us 3 Cups and I am fine with some down years after they leave. We have been the most successful team in the NHL since they arrived as a group. You guys don't like it then go cheer for another team.

I hope all three retire as Penguins too. Letang’s legacy is different than Sid and Geno’s though, and I think that’s pretty clear. I can see Letang playing elsewhere to finish his career, but I can’t say the same for the other two.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I hope all three retire as Penguins too. Letang’s legacy is different than Sid and Geno’s though, and I think that’s pretty clear. I can see Letang playing elsewhere to finish his career, but I can’t say the same for the other two.
Letang to Caps probably.

Reactions: Hamurai

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

If I were Sid I’d jump ship to Colorado and piss on the league but that’s just me lol.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
In his prime, yeah. Today? He’d be monstrous playing behind Mackinnon.

I think Marchand is a better player than MacKinnon at the moment. That guy does everything. Mack can't come close to the defensive game Marchand brings.

Reactions: Gurglesons

metalan2

May 30, 2008
edit: did not see that @SomeDude beat me to what I say below.

Here's the only way I see a DeAngelo trade working out for the Pens:
  1. The Pens decide that Matheson isn't working out and want to trade him.
  2. The Rangers accept to take Matheson at his full cap hit in a 1-for-1 trade of he and DeAngelo.
  3. DeAngelo is then on the "taxi squad" but doesn't join and stays away from the team.
  4. The Pens then buyout DeAngelo in the offseason.
The Pens then go from having Matheson for 5 seasons after this one at $4.875M to buying out DeAngelo for this:

SEASONINITIAL BASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITSIGNING BONUSBUYOUT COSTPOST-BUYOUT EARNINGSSAVINGSCAP HIT :pens
2021-22$5,300,000$4,800,000$0$883,333$883,333$4,416,667$383,333
2022-23$0$0$0$883,333$883,333-$883,333$883,333
TOTAL$5,300,000$4,800,000$0$1,766,667$1,766,667$3,533,333$1,266,666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DeAngelo is going to play somewhere. If we did that we should use him. He's no worse than anyone we have and scored 60 points last season.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
DeAngelo is going to play somewhere. If we did that we should use him. He's no worse than anyone we have and scored 60 points last season.
There is no way the Penguins bring someone with DeAngelo's reputation into their locker room.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
There is also no way NYR would trade DeAng for Matheson only for Pens to buy him out when NYR can easily buy him out and not be saddled with a HORRIBLE contract like Matheson.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is also no way NYR would trade DeAng for Matheson only for Pens to buy him out when NYR can easily buy him out and not be saddled with a HORRIBLE contract like Matheson.
I’m not sure why people continue to try think of Matheson trade ideas unless JR gets hired by another team. Unless we are retaining to the max and including some very attractive assets, something we have very little of, no team takes that call.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He played top 4 all last year in only his second full season. Heck, even in his rookie season he played many games in the top 4 and did a good job. No question that Pettersson is a top 4 defenseman. The only question is if he can get better and become either a top tier 2nd pairing defenseman or even the next Dumoulin type that can be a number 2.

Perhaps I phrased it badly. IMO, the question isn't is Pettersson as a 2nd pairing blueliner-- it's if POJ is going to force his way into that spot because he's the better defender. And in that case, does Pettersson belong on the 3rd or is he better off being traded for some pieces we need? That's the core question, I think.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I rather have what we have know.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
POJ-Ceci/Matheson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

That is a pretty strong group and someone like Matheson can impress over the next month or so while Dumoulin is out and make this group even stronger than it is now.
Except Dumoulin hasn't played like a legit top 4 since the 2018-19 season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That kid is toxic as shit right now. No GM in their right mind will give him a job this season. He’s probably going to have to go to another league for a year or three and try to keep his nose clean if he wants to play in the NHL again.
He was a piece of shit as a teenager in the OHL (two suspensions for his behavior from age 16-19)
He was a piece of shit with the Coyotes.
He's a piece of shit with the New York Rangers (25yrs old)

In almost 10yrs he hasn't change and this is behavior we know about.

Sometimes people don't grow out of being horrible people because as much as we like to believe people can change, there are many that just aren't capable of it because they like who they are.

I hate that people will over look who he is based on what he can do for them. Kind of makes those pleas to be better a false statement around the league. If Mitch Miller was seen finally as someone that wasn't growing from his indiscretions (rightfully so, his actions spoke way louder than words and his actions were horrific), why is DeAngelo still being sought after?

I say this knowing who this team has employed over the years and can see them probably being interested and it makes me a little sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad