Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Crosby and Malkin are still on average better than the best players of the Blues and Capitals, unless you think their last 10 games are solely the reason why you want to blow everything up.

The irrational belief is that by blowing things up the Pens will be closer to a Cup than the Pens could be this year in the next decade.
You're chasing the past. And you can't know where we'll be in five years. As far as the Blues or Caps go it doesn't matter. Because they aren't the elite teams we'd likely have to go through.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Playing better defense and with better structure would help the current guys we have and not require us to take on a guy who makes $7 million that everyone misses because he smiles a lot

that requires firing the coach which won’t happen apparently...Sully isn’t instituting better structure or it would have happened already...new changes to the PK have already made that worse this year, so that didn’t help...I’m not a MAF fan but I think that one move helps a lot more apparently than being able to get five guys on this team to work cooperatively together on defense...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think that, while not the most pressing concern, finding a 4th line that is actually effective and reducing the amount of 13th forwards we have would be the easiest thing we could do that might have a more direct impact on our fortunes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
that requires firing the coach which won’t happen apparently...Sully isn’t instituting better structure or it would have happened already...new changes to the PK have already made that worse this year, so that didn’t help...I’m not a MAF fan but I think that one move helps a lot more apparently than being able to get five guys on this team to work cooperatively together on defense...
How would we fit him in under the cap?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think that, while not the most pressing concern, finding a 4th line that is actually effective and reducing the amount of 13th forwards we have would be the easiest thing we could do that might have a more direct impact on our fortunes.

Yeah how the hell did this team end up collecting like ALL of the league's milquetoast 13th forwards?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'd be pretty mad about this because:

1. You're trading the wrong LD for picks there. It should be Dumoulin based on their ages.
2. That's a big overpayment for Fleury, and I'm moving Jarry out if they're bringing in Fleury. Fleury-DeSmith is a good enough tandem.

Dumoulin is better than Pettersson when he’s on his game and I think his contract is up sooner, so that’s why I moved Petts.

I don’t see how that’s an overpayment for Fleury, you’re trading a backup and a tweener to make the salary work. Maybe Vegas throws in a 4th or something.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
But now we KNOW Jarry and Desmith can't hack it

Was cute but backups gonna backup?

And MAF gonna MAF:help:

This team's goalies have never hacked it when the team left them out to dry so much. All-OF-Them.

Jarry is still young, and if people remember when MAF first got here understand it will be bad before it gets good consistently. If the team can't find a way to play good defensive hockey within the confines of what is playoff hockey in the regular season, they should trade in their tough guy cards.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You're chasing the past. And you can't know where we'll be in five years. As far as the Blues or Caps go it doesn't matter. Because they aren't the elite teams we'd likely have to go through.

Ok, then you’re chasing an impossible future and overreacting to this season’s start.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How would we fit him in under the cap?

hes’s not available so it doesn’t matter, but we’d have to trade a LD...if not directly for him, then for picks and prospects elsewhere...we’d have enough space with that plus waiving or trading CDS to do this...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think you can make an "effective 4th line" without young guys coming up and having an impact. I don't think that's anything you can really address easily. Sure, you can get hella lucky with someone like Cullen, but that's not really a sustainable strategy.

You need guys like Kuhnahckl, Rust, Wilson and whatnot coming up through your system consistently. That drive and fight to "establish yourself" as a NHLer that these young guys show gives you by far the best 4th line you can ever get. A young guy trying to prove his worth will 99% of the time outperform a better veteran who's comfy with his position.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ok, then you’re chasing an impossible future and overreacting to this season’s start.
Impossible future? What about it is impossible? This GM has shown he knows how to build a winning team. Not sure what's so impossible about it.

And my opinion isn't solely predicated to this years start, it goes back to three successive oustings and a 2-11 record in our last 13 playoff games. The team is stale.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think you can make an "effective 4th line" without young guys coming up and having an impact. I don't think that's anything you can really address easily. Sure, you can get hella lucky with someone like Cullen, but that's not really a sustainable strategy.

You need guys like Kuhnahckl, Rust, Wilson and whatnot coming up through your system consistently. That drive and fight to "establish yourself" as a NHLer that these young guys show gives you by far the best 4th line you can ever get. A young guy trying to prove his worth will 99% of the time outperform a better veteran who's comfy with his position.

Let me put it another way: why did we trade for guys that are more expensive and no more effective than what we have in WB/S?

Get rid of some of those guys and start bringing up kids for cups of coffee and let them play.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I think some here are holding onto the notion that this team can still compete at the highest level. They don't want to let go of the Sid/Geno era. It's been 15 years with four cup finals and three cups. That's good enough in my book. Some here are getting greedy. And by extension quite irrational.

I would be fine with other moves. Even if you want to upgrade on DeSmith I’d be ok with that...but trading Jarry for a $7 million goalie is awful when the $7 million goalie is going to perform close to what Jarry is doing now because of the way the team in front of him is playing

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This team's goalies have never hacked it when the team left them out to dry so much. All-OF-Them.

Jarry is still young, and if people remember when MAF first got here understand it will be bad before it gets good consistently. If the team can't find a way to play good defensive hockey within the confines of what is playoff hockey in the regular season, they should trade in their tough guy cards.

I mean... to be fair MAF sucked at first because he was playing behind the X-Force or whatever the f*** that fantastic trainwreck called itself. Plus his goaltending coach was a like 120 year old former player that mostly regaled him with tales of the days before goaltenders were allowed to drop to the ice to stop a shot.

Well, the explicitly targeted them, which is still blowing my mind.

JR man. I'm all about getting some bargain help. I'm not all about filling 2+ of their lines with them. They all kinda do the same thing, too... which is to say not much. Tanev is fast and stuff I guess. That's worth 3.5 for ∞ years, right?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I find myself agreeing with you an alarming % 0f the time recently, Empo.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Tanev and his 3 primary assists through 80 games with the Pens on the 2nd line.

You do you Soggy.

Tanev's played 42 slapdash minutes total with Malkin since he came here.

But this is isn't Zucker vs. Tanev. It's Zucker and Tanev vs. Palmieri and Tanev. The latter actually fixes a problem.

Or we can continue to wait, hire a different assistant coach, add another misfit to the PP rotation and watch it struggle like a fly getting its legs torn off one by one.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah how the hell did this team end up collecting like ALL of the league's milquetoast 13th forwards?
It’s amazing people weren’t outraged after JR’s off season. Almost everyone downplayed the importance of the bottom six.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would be fine with other moves. Even if you want to upgrade on DeSmith I’d be ok with that...but trading Jarry for a $7 million goalie is awful when the $7 million goalie is going to perform close to what Jarry is doing now because of the way the team in front of him is playing
Exactly. If the defense continues as it has, no goalie we could realistically acquire will help in salvaging the season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'd easily trade Jarry to bring back Fleury if you could make the money work :dunno:

I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fleury as this team's starting goalie than I would with Jarry and extra cap space.

Is Fleury going to do much better with the ****show in front of him right now. I’ve seen way too much of him to be comfortable thinking that would fix a lot. Never mind how much AAV from the skaters has to go.

EDIT: We lose games by more than 2 on average.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Exactly. If the defense continues as it has, no goalie we could realistically acquire will help in salvaging the season.

I am glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that the xGA and HDCA stats are a mirage and masking how truly terrible we are defensively.

But I'm miffed as to how they still are what they are.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not I. lol
Haha you, me and a handful of others were told over and over it would be fine. Charts, stats, all kinds of bs used to try to justify the warm bodies. Speed and youth, mannnnn. (It didn’t matter than the fast guys are crappy players)

I think everyone now realizes just how poorly JR did this off season. Thank god that clown is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad