Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: JR's P.F Chang's bill finally coming due...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
we have picks in 2022...doesn’t have to be this year and I certainly wouldn’t spend a second on a goalie unless it’s someone with a really strong historic success...but if they want to win this year, they have to get a vet goalie and that’s what they say they want to do
We have picks in '22 and you want to start draining us of them? Don't you understand we need to keep our picks?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Bringing Fleury back? Jesus....well at least they all get to cry tears of joy and retire together now or whatever....the fact that the locker room couldn’t handle losing him and Hagelin is such a joke

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd easily trade Jarry to bring back Fleury if you could make the money work :dunno:

I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fleury as this team's starting goalie than I would with Jarry and extra cap space.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We have picks in '22 and you want to start draining us of them? Don't you understand we need to keep our picks?

the chances that a lower round pick becomes anything is slim...we have a ton of players picked 4th or later who haven’t amounted to anything, and second and third round too...I’d have no problem spending a third or lower pick on a goalie as it’s much needed

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
the chances that a lower round pick becomes anything is slim...we have a ton of players picked 4th or later who haven’t amounted to anything, and second and third round too...I’d have no problem spending a third or lower pick on a goalie as it’s much needed
And what kind of goalie are we gonna get for a mid round pick? I don't think anyone that necessarily would move the needle.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'd easily trade Jarry to bring back Fleury if you could make the money work :dunno:

I'd feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Fleury as this team's starting goalie than I would with Jarry and extra cap space.

Me too. And i hate MAF with a passion

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's what I'd do if I were in Hextall's shoes this season: make some smaller moves with depth guys during the season. Don't spend any picks or prospects unless you're getting back young NHLers for them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They’re still over the cap when McNabb comes back though.
Well, we can't take on MAF's contract either. We don't have much in the way of cap space. But if I were Vegas I'd leave that goalie tandem alone. Find another area to cut from if need be.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Frankly, I'd rather have Tanev on Malkin's LW than Zucker right now. And if we have the opportunity to add someone who could actually make the PP dynamics work like Palmieri, I'm showing Zucker the door - he should be one of our main trade baits to improve.

That goes without saying - it's why I want Sullivan gone.

But Zucker simply doesn't add much that this team doesn't already have, and maximizing Malkin's impact should be a much higher priority than maximizing Zucker's based on the impact of each to the team.

Tanev and his 3 primary assists through 80 games with the Pens on the 2nd line.

You do you Soggy.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And what kind of goalie are we gonna get for a mid round pick? I don't think anyone that necessarily would move the needle.

right now we have the worst goaltending in the league and they’re inexperienced ...any other vet would move the proverbial needle, it’s that bad rn

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
right now we have the worst goaltending in the league and they’re inexperienced ...any other vet would move then proverbial needle, it’s that bad rn

Playing better defense and with better structure would help the current guys we have and not require us to take on a guy who makes $7 million that everyone misses because he smiles a lot

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
right now we have the worst goaltending in the league and they’re inexperienced ...any other vet would move then proverbial needle, it’s that bad rn
Agree to disagree, if the defense continues to blow defensive assignments and has two defensemen take one forechecker leaving the slot vacant, it won't matter. And any vet we get won't be all that good.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Trade Pettersson for draft picks

Then DeSmith and McCann for Fleury

:dunno:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I wouldn't. And I, too, hate MAF with a passion.

The player. Not the person.

Why not?

I was certain Murray was a better option

Was pleased when Desmith or Jarry showed a bit of promise

Was sad how Murray was falling and the cost he was gonna have

Felt Jarry/Desmith might make that step

Team is f***ed in front but they ain't helping

Meanwhile, Murray turning it back around and MAF has been plugging away at a decent level

Owners only want to get to POs... I feel MAF gonna open that door. Do I trust him to win a SC again? No. But our current two can't either.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Playing better defense and with better structure would help the current guys we have and not require us to take on a guy who makes $7 million that everyone misses because he smiles a lot
I think some here are holding onto the notion that this team can still compete at the highest level. They don't want to let go of the Sid/Geno era. It's been 15 years with four cup finals and three cups. That's good enough in my book. Some here are getting greedy. And by extension quite irrational.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Stupid HFBoards made me post that post too early. Anyway, here's what I'd do:

1. Try to make some smaller moves with depth guys during the season. I'd be targeting a 1B goalie, a better and younger version of Ruhwedel for the 3rd pair and a playmaking 3rd line winger. I'd be using McCann, DeSmith, ZAR and any pending UFAs as the main chips to get that. No picks or prospects traded.
2. In the off-season, see what you can do with the top-6, goaltending and the defense.

a. LD: Trade Dumoulin for the best futures return you can get and plan on Pettersson, POJ and Matheson being your LD going forward. I'd move Matheson instead of Dumoulin if you can for a non-extreme cost, but I'd rather trade Dumoulin for legit assets than sink assets to get rid of Matheson.

b. RD: I'd try to find a better version of Ruhwedel for the 3rd pair, because I think you need to get that to pair with Matheson. I'd also explore the idea of trading Letang for futures and acquiring Hamilton, but I think that's some "NHL 21" thinking.

c. Top-6: What is Jason Zucker going to be for you? If Malkin doesn't click with him and you won't break up Crosby and Guentzel, move on from Zucker. I think how they've used him is terribly stupid, but just cut the cord if you're going to dick him around.

d. Goalie: If Jarry doesn't right the ship, either acquire a reliable 1B like Talbot (if you didn't do that in the regular season) or trade Jarry and bring in a legitimate #1 goalie. And yes, Fleury would completely be an option there.

e. Ect: I'd try to look to get out of Tanev's contract as well. Yeah, yeah, he skates hard and he hits people. I also want to purge any stink that JR left in this organization if possible, and Tanev's contract is the 2nd largest stink that JR left.

3. I'd also look at firing Sullivan this off-season if things don't get righted during the season.
4. If things aren't righted by the trade deadline in 2022, nuke this team into oblivion. If Rust and Letang are on the roster, trade them purely for futures at the deadline. Ask Malkin what he wants to do, and if he wants to be traded, move him.

Edit: the formatting here sucks :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think some here are holding onto the notion that this team can still compete at the highest level. They don't want to let go of the Sid/Geno era. It's been 15 years with four cup finals and three cups. That's good enough in my book. Some here are getting greedy. And by extension quite irrational.

Crosby and Malkin are still on average better than the best players of the Blues and Capitals, unless you think their last 10 games are solely the reason why you want to blow everything up.

The irrational belief is that by blowing things up the Pens will be closer to a Cup than the Pens could be this year in the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->