Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - It's the dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Regardless on if we agree or disagree (and I believe in most cases we do see things similarly), I really enjoy debating such matters with you. Your presentation in conveying your opinion and providing evidence to support those opinions is nearly flawless. Not that you need me to validate you, but I think the way you handle yourself here is a credit to this forum.

That was a really nice thing to say

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don’t hate Tanev at all. It’s just a ****ty contract and caused unnecessary problems.

We have absolutely no idea what he is going to do here or how this coaching staff plans to employ him. Why lose your mind now? We all think he was given too much money, which you can't change, so you can't even beat your chest about it. The only thing that can happen right now is that he does well and you look dumb. Save your keystrokes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought Kahun played some RW and who said Gally would be playing right wing? I know it was mentioned, I think by JR, but that doesn't mean it's a guarantee or anything.

Anyway, if it's Gally on RW, then I want McCann with Geno.

Yeah, Kahun plays RW as well and prefers it but he can play all three positions, as can AG...JR said he’d be playing RW, also talked about by many scouts...it’s the opinion of every knowledgeable scout who watched AG that he should be playing RW because of how he shoots and where he’s effective, and they all talk about the Pens plan to play him there...who knows maybe he’ll suck there and won’t play it but I think he’ll be tried on it...I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kahun and AG start camp as L1 and L2 RWs...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bill Guerin emerging as frontrunner for Wild gig, though the process is far from over.

Sources: Bill Guerin interviews again for Wild GM, starts to...

I don't think I'd go that far. He's had his 2nd interview, and if I remember correctly was the first to get a 2nd interview. So while I'm hopeful he goes (if only because I think a different voice in upper management would be a good thing for Rutherford to hear), I don't think I'd go so far as to say he's the "front runner" just yet.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think I'd go that far. He's had his 2nd interview, and if I remember correctly was the first to get a 2nd interview. So while I'm hopeful he goes (if only because I think a different voice in upper management would be a good thing for Rutherford to hear), I don't think I'd go so far as to say he's the "front runner" just yet.
The article literally states that he's separating himself from the pack, that he's the only one to get a second interview so far. It's the literal definition of being a front runner.

It's not over, by any means, and he could be back with the Pens in October. But it's clear that he's progressed the furthest so far in the hiring process.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@Riptide - Difference between 'a' and 'the'. I'd argue strongly for the former and strongly against the latter.

Regardless on if we agree or disagree (and I believe in most cases we do see things similarly), I really enjoy debating such matters with you. Your presentation in conveying your opinion and providing evidence to support those opinions is nearly flawless. Not that you need me to validate you, but I think the way you handle yourself here is a credit to this forum.

Thanks man - just try to argue like I'd like others to argue with me, and follow the example of all the cool people I found here to begin with :)

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Good for him if he gets the job
Than what? GMJR names Matt Cullen or Mark Recchi as new Assistant?
As much as I like both guys, not sure they're suited for the job

Cullen would be amazing in player development though I think. Guy has a great career but worked his butt for it. He is one guy out there who earned everything he got through hard work.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Cullen would be amazing in player development though I think. Guy has a great career but worked his butt for it. He is one guy out there who earned everything he got through hard work.
he seems like the right kind of personality for development too. additionally he played with kids raised in the social media era, which love it or hate it clearly has changed norms around communications for those generations.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good for him if he gets the job
Than what? GMJR names Matt Cullen or Mark Recchi as new Assistant?
As much as I like both guys, not sure they're suited for the job

We've been kicking around possibilities in the Guerin thread - nobody knows but there's a few possibilities. It's worth remembering that Vellucci served as an AGM as well as AHL Head Coach when in the Canes org; even if they don't want to do that full time, it's a suitable bandaid if they don't want to rush into anything.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, Kahun plays RW as well and prefers it but he can play all three positions, as can AG...JR said he’d be playing RW, also talked about by many scouts...it’s the opinion of every knowledgeable scout who watched AG that he should be playing RW because of how he shoots and where he’s effective, and they all talk about the Pens plan to play him there...who knows maybe he’ll suck there and won’t play it but I think he’ll be tried on it...I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kahun and AG start camp as L1 and L2 RWs...

Can you provide some source for this info on AG? Not doubting you but would be nice to see the source.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
We've been kicking around possibilities in the Guerin thread - nobody knows but there's a few possibilities. It's worth remembering that Vellucci served as an AGM as well as AHL Head Coach when in the Canes org; even if they don't want to do that full time, it's a suitable bandaid if they don't want to rush into anything.

I just hope they make a smart move and just don't give the job to someone internally just because they think it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Reactions: Riptide

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so the time frame to get cap compliant is the end of training camp. was really hoping JR had some magic to work getting rid of JJ, I mean if you can convert scuderi into daley anything is possible right?

thing is this is holding up pettersson getting signed, he can't participate in training camp until he is signed, so hopefully something happens soon, any rumblings insiders?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess if they move Bjugstad we could pump Gally into his role and use Sid more defensively.

Ehhhhhh let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

Most projections for Galchenyuk succeeding here involve he and Geno establishing chemistry. I don't think putting him in the Brassard role (while increasing Sid's responsibilities) is a road we want to go down unless it's an absolute last resort.

Galchenyuk would make a great option for center if Sid or Geno got injured, but otherwise I'm not too keen on the idea.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad