Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - If the dog days had dog days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think it's more than just someone meeting his price at this point...radio silence everywhere points to the fact that nothing will happen trade-wise until the RFA dominos fall and that's looking to be right before training camp. There are other teams worse than the Pens cap wise (like NYR) and who need to make trades and they're not accomplishing anything either. I doubt we'll be able to make a trade before the season starts. I'll be really surprised if we don't just tender Petts at a cheap one-year deal and make a trade as needed November or December.

What price? He was getting 925k from someone. He didn't even max out his bonuses.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What price? He was getting 925k from someone. He didn't even max out his bonuses.

I was talking about JR having a “price” in mind before he’ll trade a player, which is what the post I was referring to mentioned...

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be honest, I actually like the idea of giving Pettersson a cheap 1 year deal and then giving him a bigger extension next off-season. I would rather have Pettersson for cheap this year and at $500k or so higher the next 4 or 5 years, I think $2 million saved in 1 year is worth $500k lost in the next 4 years. I don't really view Pettersson's contract situation to be a huge driving factor for what the Penguins should or shouldn't do, though.

To me, it's less about getting cap compliant or getting Pettersson signed long term right now. It's more about it not being efficient to spend $3-$4 million on Johnson, Rust and Bjugstad (especially Johnson and Rust) when you have cheaper alternatives who can provide what they provide. I would include Tanev in that group too, but he was just signed and isn't going anywhere.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People might be interested to see Bjug being named first (after NYR player questions) as someone who could be traded pre-season...also named the Pens first as a team that will take a step back this year...

PHR Mailbag: Rangers, Backes, Surprise Teams, Trade Candidates, Senators

"Their core is getting up there in age and I have concerns about Murray being the type of goalie that can carry a team if need be."

Matt Murray had a .930 save% during the second half of last season, going 25-9-5 in his last 39 appearances. Crosby just put up 100 points last year. Letang just had another Norris finalist caliber season. But yes, Murray isn't a goalie who can carry a team and their core is magically going to fall off because they're 32/33. The author is just a dunce.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
"Their core is getting up there in age and I have concerns about Murray being the type of goalie that can carry a team if need be."

Matt Murray had a .930 save% during the second half of last season, going 25-9-5 in his last 39 appearances. Crosby just put up 100 points last year. Letang just had another Norris finalist caliber season. But yes, Murray isn't a goalie who can carry a team and their core is magically going to fall off because they're 32/33. The author is just a dunce.

It’s been 13 years. People really want the Pens to fall off. They’ve wanted it for the last 5 years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I took it as meaning his injury issues but who knows...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It’s been 13 years. People really want the Pens to fall off. They’ve wanted it for the last 5 years.

Yeah well, after some really brilliant, early juggling, JR is trying his hardest to make this happen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I was talking about JR having a “price” in mind before he’ll trade a player, which is what the post I was referring to mentioned...

I thought you were talking about Priskie signing.

Yeah I think JR knows exactly what it will take to move JJ and likely has an option to do so. But I don't think he wants to pay that price today, and thus is seeing what other options are out there. He still has another 2 weeks or so before there's any real risk for MP not getting here by the start of camp.

Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Who cares, that was a team on the rise while this one is retooling while getting weaker skill wise.

The 15-16 team's second most skilful winger was Sheary. The third most skilful winger was Kunitz or Rust.

This team's second most skilful winger is one of Guentzel and Galchenyuk. The third most skilful winger would be one of Simon, Kahun or McCann. Which means Rust is only in the running for sixth.

As such, I don't get how this team is getting weaker skill wise. Yeah, losing Kessel isn't great, but that shouldn't offset the general improvement elsewhere.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t think anyone in the world thought the 15-16 team was a “team on the rise” in August of 2015..

If anything, that team was viewed worse than this team.

They had already traded for kessel, Bonino that summer, well before August. Cullen signed on 16th.

They were on the rise. It took a change of coaching and more moves, but none were as big as adding Kessel.

This team is worse this year. What JR did in a calendar year makes them a team on the rise. That also includes moves made before the summer of 2015 and just a 2-1/2 month period just after. They had nowhere to go but up. They have nowhere near the nucleus this year to build on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They had already traded for kessel, Bonino that summer, well before August. Cullen signed on 16th.

They were on the rise. It took a change of coaching and more moves, but none were as big as adding Kessel.

This team is worse this year. What JR did in a calendar year makes them a team on the rise. That also includes moves made before the summer of 2015 and just a 2-1/2 month period just after. They had nowhere to go but up. They have nowhere near the nucleus this year to build on.

You’re drunk and Monday morning qbing.

We had an aging Dupuis and Kunitz as top six locks. Scuderi and Lovejoy as 2nd pairing guys. No futures by most people’s estimates outside of Guentzel and Murray.

Reactions: Dominance

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You’re drunk and Monday morning qbing.

We had an aging Dupuis and Kunitz as top six locks. Scuderi and Lovejoy as 2nd pairing guys. No futures by most people’s estimates outside of Guentzel and Murray.

Even in 2015 nobody knew much about Guentzel (and those who did didn’t expect him to be who he is) and absolutely nobody expected Murray to supplant Fleury already.

What a great time. Life is crazy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even in 2015 nobody knew much about Guentzel (and those who did didn’t expect him to be who he is) and absolutely nobody expected Murray to supplant Fleury already.

What a great time. Life is crazy.

That isn’t true. Murray has just tore up the AHL and Jake was getting hype. He had finished in rookie of the year voting and was stringing together some nice career accolades.

I guess I should’ve included Sprong, Sundqvist and Pouliot on that list too. I wouldn’t say Guentzel was viewed as what he was after 15-16, but he was starting to generate some talk after back to back PPG seasons.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That isn’t true. Murray has just tore up the AHL and Jake was getting hype.

I guess I should’ve included Sprong, Sundqvist and Pouliot on that list too. I wouldn’t say Guentzel was viewed as what he was after 15-16, but he was starting to generate some talk after back to back PPG seasons.

People on here were talking about him, but nobody thought he’d be lead the AHL in points right away or anything like that. And yea, but again nobody thought he’d supplant Fleury right away in summer 15 with Fleury just having signed a long term deal.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad