Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I dunno, Bjugstad reminds me of a crappier Jordan Staal. He’s not physical and skates like he has two cinder blocks tied to his skates. He is just kind of bluhhhh.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
they definitely need JJ now! Who cares about the return...

edit...actually have heard proposals of Soderberg for Guds + 5th round pick...

Soderberg won't work because his cap hit is more than Guds. Plus he's worse than the cheaper guys we're putting out there now, so I'm not sure why GMJR would do that, and throw in a 5th to boot. If it's coming to that, it's better to just waive someone.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I dunno, Bjugstad reminds me of a crappier Jordan Staal. He’s not physical and skates like he has two cinder blocks tied to his skates. He is just kind of bluhhhh.

And as long as he can continue doing what he's done then that bluh is just fine. He doesn't need to be great - it would be nice, but not the end of the world. He just needs to be effective (which he has been) and continue to be able to take on the DZ load so that Crosby and Malkin don't have to do it, while pushing play forward. And that's what he's been able to do for us. Is it all that pretty? No, not really. But as long as it works, who cares? And make no mistake - Bjugs does work. It might not work all that great going forward, but based on the sample size we have, he's a quality 3c who can fill the role we need out of our 3c. If someone better or the same who's cheaper comes along, great - then dump Bjugs. But we need that guy first, and McCann isn't it. The fact that he's 1/4 the price doesn't sway me at all given that he's also noticeably worse in the role.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I think if Bjugstad is going to be on the team going forward, his line would need to play differently than the others to get the most out of him.

BetterCallSaul

Feb 28, 2017
NHL defensemen and sources around the league confirmed again over the past few days that Rutherford is still trying to move a defenseman.

He mentions a few teams that are looking for D help. Winnipeg, New Jersey, Arizona, Anaheim and finishes with following:

Not helping Pittsburgh’s quest to move a defenseman is the competition on the market, as Dallas is still actively taking calls on Julius Honka, and there’s also the Sabres, who once fully healthy on defense will have some moves to make.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reactions: Andy99

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
And as long as he can continue doing what he's done then that bluh is just fine. He doesn't need to be great - it would be nice, but not the end of the world. He just needs to be effective (which he has been) and continue to be able to take on the DZ load so that Crosby and Malkin don't have to do it, while pushing play forward. And that's what he's been able to do for us. Is it all that pretty? No, not really. But as long as it works, who cares? And make no mistake - Bjugs does work. It might not work all that great going forward, but based on the sample size we have, he's a quality 3c who can fill the role we need out of our 3c. If someone better or the same who's cheaper comes along, great - then dump Bjugs. But we need that guy first, and McCann isn't it. The fact that he's 1/4 the price doesn't sway me at all given that he's also noticeably worse in the role.

I totally concur...Pens fans have to quit romanticizing Bonino’s time here based on the HBK line’s short searing success.... what we need is a defensively responsible guy who has a little skill... we dont need a second line scorer on the third.... hell set up the fourth line as a supplemental scoring line and just use the third as a solid defensive and forechecking line... they have options...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the key bit that others are missing is that of the teams mentions, Winnipeg, NJ and Arizona are in situations where they may look if the situation doesn't improve - but Anaheim seem to be the one actively trying to make things happen. Gudbranson to Anaheim makes a lot of sense.

they may be waiting on Risto when BUF gets Montour back, at least that’s the scuttlebutt

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
One of Gudbranson or JJ will have to be traded away if we plan on re-signing all the free agents next year. Perhaps Bjugstad too.

I have a strong feeling Schultz is almost a lock to leave. Someone will pay him big bucks for his one good season from 2 years ago.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One of Gudbranson or JJ will have to be traded away if we plan on re-signing all the free agents next year. Perhaps Bjugstad too.

I have a strong feeling Schultz is almost a lock to leave. Someone will pay him big bucks for his one good season from 2 years ago.

BOTH JJ and Guds will need to be traded or bought out by July 1...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
they may be waiting on Risto when BUF gets Montour back, at least that’s the scuttlebutt

Yeah, I imagine so. I doubt Honka makes the market that much trickier, but the chance of getting Ristolainen if patient will.

The bloodshed's probably going to have run far harder than that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
yeah, the way I calculate it, just to sign our RFAs including Murray, and re-sign Schultz and AG, or replace them, we’re going to need to get rid of four players making above $3 mil per year...maybe three if we replace Schultz and AG with ELC players...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Owes us? We got the better of
upload_2019-10-14_15-57-53.png

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Would anyone take Subban with some retention? Schultz/Bjugstad for Subban @ 2 million retained would be a decent deal.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Getting way ahead of myself here but let's say Marino keeps this up and Pens know we def arent keeping Schultz.

You think they pull off a "hockey trade" with him? Its something we've always done...dating back to early 90s. It worked at first with Francis/Ulf for Cullen and Recchi for Tochett but then we got carried away(Naslund, Straka, etc). Anyway, had some good trades to win the b2b cups....Scuds for Daley. Perron for Hagelin. They arent on the level of Schultz but if hes going to command 7.5+ with term and we arent willing to go that high due to injury history and there are FAs out there who you'd like to have....would you make that move or would it have to be someone whos locked up already for a few years? For example would you take a free agent like Mike Hoffman for him who would make our forward group ridiculous and solving our RW Prob on first line?

Imagine

Guentzel - Crosby - Hoffman
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Lafferty - Blueger - Tanev
Kahun/ZAR/Simon

We'd have the chance to move any of the last 3 for a dman to help solidify that group(again...could be for a rental).

We have plenty of options since we do have multiple FAs and mutliple prospects stepping up now and likely in near future. So we could take those risks. And they are def risks of course. Since we could just ride it out with Schultz and let him walk while hoping Lafferty can keep this up. But would you want to pass up on the chance to see a first line of Hoffman with Jake/Sid? When we have Galchenyuk/Malkin/etc that would already be tough enough to stop?

I mean this year is the chance we could go all in for a cup without it messing with our cap. As long as Marino(and others) and the team play solid D, with Murray on his game....id be very tempted to add a top first line like that which alot of other teams have now these days. And like I said it would allow us to move (maybe even sell high while we can) players like ZAR and Simon. Thats where guys like Lafferty come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad