Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Everything is proceeding as I foreseen

Status
Not open for further replies.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Maybe. We could also always trade them if Jarry looks good.

Fair point. Yeah if we can get a vet goalie on a 1 year deal with our excess cap space it’s definitely not the worst move. I wouldn’t want to commit more than 1 year to a vet backup though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He didn't push the needle though. Playing the 3rd or 4th most minutes and not getting completely caved in isn't good enough for a cup contender. We need someone that dominates their matchups.

Pettersson and Marino were our best pairing. They weren't just "not getting caved in", they were good.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why would Wennberg want to be a 3rd liner? It doesn't make sense.

Who's going to pay him to be their #2C? He has 7g/47pts in his last 2 seasons (132 games). That's a 4g/30pt pace. Someone might take a chance on him as a 2c on a cheaper 1yr or 2yr deal, but I don't think anyone is going to be lining up to pay him 3m+ with term (3+ years).

Reactions: Tom Hanks

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Pettersson and Marino were our best pairing. They weren't just "not getting caved in", they were good.

I agree that Marino was good. If you aren't interested in the conversation, I'll just say I think Pettersson needs to be better for us to compete, whatever that means.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
To be fair, he turned down a pretty sizeable extension offer and decline because it was his intent to go play with his brother. He got 6x10? I think we offered, what, $5.9 or 6.0mil for a similar time? It was choosing the team over money so Shero shouldn't beat himself up too bad. His biggest mistake was Bylsma and signing non-impact scrubs like Glass, Adams, Kobasew and making trades for bottom 6 role players year after year.

I know, I think it was more his biggest regrets and that was Staal leaving. Naturally I can’t find the article now. That contract would have been brutal for the Pens and core moving forward; Staal rejecting it saved their asses. It was such an inaccurate self assessment that it sums up what went down with Shero. The inability to really flesh out the top 6, hoarding D prospects and blocking them, loyalty to Bylsma, loyalty to certain players, the weak bottom 6... no, Scuderi and Staal are the regrets he’s mentioned over the years.

It really, really does doesn't it?

I have healthy enough distain for Shero that I'd still take our present situation over him. Yes... really.

I’d 100% take JR’s crazy self. Easily. I can look at the top 6 and know Shero never would have made the moves for Zucker and Kapanen. He did Crosby and Malkin dirty in the most obvious way for years. JR is crazy but he understands that fundamental concept... give the top 6 Cs you’ve built the team on top 6 wingers. 4 of them. He hasn’t always succeeded but I’m sure he gets the idea.

He can make a mess of things but I never think he’s sitting there waiting for the perfect trade to make him look like a genius. It’s not like Shero is some master roster builder who never makes a mistake anyway.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
How nervous will everyone be every time Bettman says “There’s been a trade”

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think a Murray trade doesnt happen for another couple days. Definitely dont see him bringing back a 1st.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not funny!

KKt34g.gif

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If McCann is our biggest issue next season we lift the cup.

Petterson IMO is the most important piece. If he can lift his game to give us a legit top 4 that would be massive. If he doesn't, we'll be an underwhelming 1st round washout again.

Idk, I don’t think Pettersson is that much of a lynchpin. You want better but he’s fine. They should be able to get out of the 1st round if he’s the same player next season.

I think other D are bigger questions. Dumoulin’s ankle being 100%, Letang surviving life, Marino avoiding a sophomore slump, what the hell happens with Matheson, what prospects do. Matheson might be the most important piece on the backend just because of his salary, previous performance and theoretical potential. He’s a legit top 4 D? They’ve got something going. They’d have 3 D who can produce well and help drive play. He’s not? Welcome to the next awful contract to move.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Crosby's playoff numbers

2018-2019 4 games, 1 point
2019-2020 4 games, 3 points

And both of them are a -4

:popcorn:

Among other things . . . see above.

Well that’s certainly not good enough either but we were talking about Malkin not Crosby.

Surely most not saying you would choose to keep Crosby over Malkin at this point in there careers.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s the most serious business for some reason. Christmas Eve parties might be the worst idea ever. Yeah, we’ll go home from work, get ready, drive out in December with a bunch of tired, stressed out people doing the same thing to spend time with tired, stressed out people half of whom you don’t really know. Hang around, make awkward small talk, see who gets trapped into staying longer, etc. btw, see some of you tomorrow.

Every year, knowing I didn’t want to go, my grandmother who also didn’t want to go but denied it for over a decade, “so did you have a good time?” I lie and say yes, thus perpetuating the cycle well into adulthood. It eventually ended and it was a joyous occasion.

Couldn’t agree more.

Breaking free from them and spending our Christmas Eves how we want has made it an enjoyable holiday again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad