Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Does anyone actually trust JR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Serious question... should we trust JR? I seriously fear when he's allowed to make moves because he's going to shit all over this team. His comments lately have been horrible and I love this idiot continues to support JJ while there is countless evidence that he sucks.

Reactions: Finesse and Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There is one big difference. I think JR and Sully are both good at what they do. I know have seen this team enough an know they need a different voice. There is enough evidence to prove it.
Gun to my head, I keep JR, he's done more good and understands what he's done wrong and tries to fix it. Sullivan hasn't shown me that the last 3 years, so I don't know how people can be so adamant to move JR while Sullivan clashes with players and forces JR into bad spots and then people sit and blame JR for it without acknowledging that Sullivan is toxic at times and has cost this team effective players because he couldn't get over himself.

So yeah, maybe if I had to pick, I pick JR to keep a little while longer, but Sullivan?

I fire him now.
WWKgT0L.gif

As a matter of fact, Sullivan has doubled down on his ignorance, he says its his fault, but 2yrs runnig he's literally done the same thing, the other team came prepared to play chess, he showed up with a coloring book.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's not even a question as to whether JR should be in charge, or trusted, when you look at his body of work since the last Cup. It's a directionless pile of random garbage, and for every Marino move that's worked out, there are five moves that either didn't pan out, or missed so badly that he had to spend more assets to undo his mistakes.

JR's an idiot, and should've been fired a while ago. Sully's infatuation with a terrible player in JJ, and the fact that his booming "shut up, do your job" mantra has worn out on the room, are the reasons he's gotta go too.

No progress will be made toward fixing things as long as those two are around. We'll either fire Sully mid-season the second we go on an extended streak of poor play, or he'll be gone after we're eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st round again--if we make it. JR will retire in a "mutual parting of ways" next summer, which is PR for "we fired his ass but respect him too much to throw him under the bus" and we'll start scrambling to reboot this thing a year or two too late, with one final season before Geno and Letang ride off into the sunset.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
The thing with JR that I like is that he is willing to take risks. When he makes a mistake it seems more often than not he makes up for it via some kind of incredible trade no one saw coming. I’m undecided on the JJ comments, but I like to think he’s putting lipstick on a pig, hopefully trying to make a trade ASAP, as we’ve seen with other problem contracts. He gives out horrible contracts to the players he likes, but I think he’s still a wizard when it comes to trading.

Looking ahead in terms of replacement GMs, I’d like to scoop up Chayka or Dubas (if he gets canned).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Serious question... should we trust JR? I seriously fear when he's allowed to make moves because he's going to shit all over this team. His comments lately have been horrible and I love this idiot continues to support JJ while there is countless evidence that he sucks.
His comments to me, seemed like he was trying to be JJ's fluffer to the trade market. He said the things you'd hear someone that didn't want to diminish an asset he wants to get rid of, say.

Things you always hear...

"He's a fantastic coach, he has my confidence" - Before he's fired.
"We're not actively looking to trade him, he's been great for us." - Before's traded.

All JJ said was that you need the right partner for him, that he's been better than stats suggest, and that he's basically a good dude. That to me, is selling.

I wonder what people will think when JR does dump JJ after saying that and Sullivan does his usual bs and somehow, JR will still be blamed. It's what it feels like the last 2yrs. Sully has put JR in bad spots already, you can't side with your coach and then keep the player as well, which is why Cole had to go, a fantastic player on the Pens, struggled that year, but he was turning it around. Pens have been trying to replace Cole since. Oleksiak? Miscast and misused, oddly enough when he was moved, Ken Hitchcock literally came out and said he regretted the way he tried to develop and play Oleksiak in his off side, what does Sullivan & Co do? Play him on his off side and try to make him a Cole type of player (when Oleksiak kept showing his PMD skills, they seemed to punish him for it).

The usage of Riikola vs Johnson.
The usage of Johnson, period.
You know what, f*** it, the way he acted like a punk ass bitch about Sprong, he looked good with Geno in the brief moments he got a shot to play with him, but he forced him on Sid's wing and when that didn't work, basically acted like he gave him a fair shot and it was ok to f*** him about. JR had to FIX that by getting Pettersson as a return.
Blueger called sat, when he should have played.
Keeping Hornqvist away from Sid's line, when there's more than enough evidence to suggest they're great as a trio - Jake-Sid-Horny.
Splitting Jake away from Geno this year when Jake & Geno were more magic than Sid & Jake were this year, just for this year, he could have gone Jake-Geno-Rust and kept Zucker-Crosby-Sheary together, the latter was showing great momentum before the season ended.
Playing Murray over Jarry when in every showing, Jarry out played Murray, like he did during the season.

Sorry, JR is flawed af, but Sullivan is far worse. I can't sit here and act like firing JR and keeping Sully is a right move in any kind of sane or rational thought.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing with JR that I like is that he is willing to take risks. When he makes a mistake it seems more often than not he makes up for it via some kind of incredible trade no one saw coming. I’m undecided on the JJ comments, but I like to think he’s putting lipstick on a pig, hopefully trying to make a trade ASAP, as we’ve seen with other problem contracts. He gives out horrible contracts to the players he likes, but I think he’s still a wizard when it comes to trading.

Looking ahead in terms of replacement GMs, I’d like to scoop up Chayka or Dubas (if he gets canned).
"Oh no JR ruined this team by trading away all the pick and prospects!"

(Our future on Defense right now - Marino, Maniscalco, Pettersson, Oliver-Joseph...)

Reactions: That1Kid

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

I mean he brought in Sheary, Bjugstad, Johnson, and Marleau. How much more can be shit all over this team?

It’s a big pile of shit as it is. It’s either going to get shittier and stink up the place or he’s going to bring a jug of febreeze in and clean the shit smell up a bit :sarcasm:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JR is clearly playing the media wrt Johnson.

Yea I think JR has been fine outside of the Johnson deal in the last couple years. I don’t think he deserves to be fired yet.
It's funny how many people think he seriously means that, I am sure he means some of that, because some of that is true. Well all of it is true, he's been fine with the right partner (when Marino carries his ass) and he's been better than his stats show (he's been less putrid than last year).

But JR is playing possum here.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean he brought in Sheary, Bjugstad, Johnson, and Marleau. How much more can be shit all over this team?

It’s a big pile of shit as it is. It’s either going to get shittier and stink up the place or he’s going to bring a jug of febreeze in and clean the shit smell up a bit :sarcasm:
Even before getting veterans was a thing JR did with Cullen, this fragile af team needed a veteran in that room - Roberts, Guerin, Morrow, Iginla, Cullen, Marleau....and even Satan before some of these guys.

Bjugstad? That was the price it took to get McCann out of that deal to get rid of Brassard (Sullivan's boy) and Sheahan.
Sheary, I get it, Kahun was likely going to price himself off the Pens, he was going to get Rust type of money, Pens couldn't afford that and Sheary had familiarity, he was actually fine, Sheary was honestly fine with his production and play.

Johnson, yeah, mistake. But look at what led to that entire mistake.

Sullivan acted like a little bitch about Cole, that's what spiraled into Gudbranson, then Johnson.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
JR is clearly playing the media wrt Johnson.

Yea I think JR has been fine outside of the Johnson deal in the last couple years. I don’t think he deserves to be fired yet.
I just think he’s too stubborn to admit he made a mistake with that signing because of how he’s constantly doubling down. Both the GM and head coach think they know better than what reality is showing on a bunch of their decisions.

Reactions: ColePens

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sheary outplayed whatever Kahun did after December. The only truly stupid thing JR did this last year was bring in Marleau. Even then, Marleau didn’t have to play when it was evident he sucked in the playoffs. Aside from that he brought in Marino, Zucker, O’Connor and Maniscalco. I think he could use a guy like Botts back just to pump the breaks on some ideas, but I’d still rather have a GM who swings for the fences.

Reactions: Peat

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's not even a question as to whether JR should be in charge, or trusted, when you look at his body of work since the last Cup. It's a directionless pile of random garbage, and for every Marino move that's worked out, there are five moves that either didn't pan out, or missed so badly that he had to spend more assets to undo his mistakes.

JR's an idiot, and should've been fired a while ago. Sully's infatuation with a terrible player in JJ, and the fact that his booming "shut up, do your job" mantra has worn out on the room, are the reasons he's gotta go too.

No progress will be made toward fixing things as long as those two are around. We'll either fire Sully mid-season the second we go on an extended streak of poor play, or he'll be gone after we're eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st round again--if we make it. JR will retire in a "mutual parting of ways" next summer, which is PR for "we fired his ass but respect him too much to throw him under the bus" and we'll start scrambling to reboot this thing a year or two too late, with one final season before Geno and Letang ride off into the sunset.

Every single one of your posts is overwhelmingly negative. Why do you invest so much time in making posts like this, which is just bitching and not really productive dialogue?

JR is not an idiot, that’s just some classic HF nonsense. He gives out stupid contracts, but he’s literally in the HoF. The Marino trade was an absolute HOME-RUN. The fact that you compare that with other acquisitions is mind blowing to me, too early to suggest that right now, but that could be a franchise changing trade (if Marino becomes a top pairing guy). Likewise for Pettersson, we got two long-term top 4 defenseman for basically nothing. The fact that the team got eliminated from the playoffs after months off is not really a major concern for me, these were not normal circumstances.

Reactions: Factorial

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
GMJR went to the dollar bin one too many times hoping he’d get a steal that made the team better but instead he got a pile of useless crap.

He got us Marino but I’ll call that luck more than anything.

Im not one to beat on GMJR but some of his buy low acquisitions the past few years were major swing and misses.

I do think he’s saying all the right stuff this offseason though. He knows we are missing an injection of youth and fire.

He’s an old man pissed off he’s not getting fed his daily balance of Metamucil. He’s saying the right stuff on Johnson too despite what some of you think. He has to politic for a trade and make it seem like he’s not dealing a pile of crap to someone.

Reactions: Factorial

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just think he’s too stubborn to admit he made a mistake with that signing because of how he’s constantly doubling down. Both the GM and head coach think they know better than what reality is showing on a bunch of their decisions.
Because if he did, he'd be a f***ing idiot because he'd also be shooting himself in the foot.

"Hey mate, I got this sweet BMW m3 series for sale, it's probably got another 500miles before the transmission fails and the wheel bearings are shot, the AC, I just charged it but it's a band-aid fix, that compressor is going to go any day now, oh the passenger back and driver front tires are patched, so lol, good luck with that when it blows, so yeah, I am selling this car to you for 15,000..."

No you don't advertise that. Why the f*** would JR? He will say, when JJ is moved, "You take risks with these things, the trajectory of this team and the youth on the blueline, we needed to make room for pairings that worked to make us harder to play against, Jack just didn't fit anymore."

That's the best you'd get.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
GMJR went to the dollar bin one too many times hoping he’d get a steal that made the team better but instead he got a pile of useless crap.

Im not one to beat on GMJR but some of his buy low acquisitions the past few years were major swing and misses.

I do think he’s saying all the right stuff this offseason though. He knows we are missing an injection of youth and fire.

He’s an old man pissed off he’s not getting fed his daily balance of Metamucil. He’s saying the right stuff on Johnson too despite what some of you think. He has to politic for a trade and make it seem like he’s not dealing a pile of crap to someone.
Luck too that he got Kahun for Maatta?
Pettersson for Sprong?
POJ and Chucky for Kessel that turned into Zucker and POJ?
Fleeced the Leafs for Kessel.
Same for the Schultz deal.
Hedged his bets correctly for Hainsey, Daley, Hagelin, Bonino...

Awful lot of luck.

It's more luck that Sullivan won back 2 back cups, than JR and his good moves.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
I mean, do you expect him to say to the media he made a mistake in signing jj?
JR shows he recognizes his mistakes by how quickly he turns around and trades the duds he traded for/signed. Just look at his track record since being here, how many guys have we acquired that were moved shortly after if they werent working out?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Provide examples of the bad bargain bin trades and let’s discuss the impact relative to his good bargain bin trades (e.g. Schultz, Pettersson, Marino, etc)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean, do you expect him to say to the media he made a mistake in signing jj?
JR shows he recognizes his mistakes by how quickly he turns around and trades the duds he traded for/signed.

yeah, but why’s he trading or signing the duds to begin with? Just stop it...I mean why was Hagelin traded for a player who didn’t fit? Why are we getting Reaves, signing JJ, picking up and then trading Oleksiak? Why are we giving up a good young player in Kahun to bring back Conor “let me fall again” Sheary? A lot of the moves are either senseless or based on emotion, and they shouldn’t be...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheary outplayed whatever Kahun did after December. The only truly stupid thing JR did this last year was bring in Marleau. Even then, Marleau didn’t have to play when it was evident he sucked in the playoffs. Aside from that he brought in Marino, Zucker, O’Connor and Maniscalco. I think he could use a guy like Botts back just to pump the breaks on some ideas, but I’d still rather have a GM who swings for the fences.
Marleau was the usual veteran trade because that room always seems to need one and this dates back to literally THE start of the Sid & Geno era.

Recchi, Leclair, Satan, Roberts, Guerin, Morrow, Cullen, Hainsey, now Marleau...

That deal was maybe the weirdest one people are griping about, the biggest issue is why he was kept in the f***ing line-up as long as he was when he wasn't good while Evan Rodrigues, an effective player, sat. That one isn't on JR.

This team, for whatever reason, needs someone to rally around, they couldn't even find the balls to do that.

Shero literally brought back Scuderi and JR turned that into Daley, such a steal at the time and the entire time Daley was a Penguin.

Reactions: That1Kid

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Well we’d better hope there’s an owner out there who will be okay with essentially burning 10 million dollars in a time of uncertain revenue. I just don’t see it happening unless we package JJ with one of our better players and then we’re making our team worse.

I’d offer him a front office or scouting job to retire and if he won’t, I’d just bury him in the minors for the rest of his contract. We shouldn’t have to make the team worse to get rid of him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm just going to say this... because this is how the internet works.

If the Pens DIDN'T get a guy like Marleau and he went to a team like Colorado, people here would be like "WHY NOT GIVE A 3RD FOR MARLEAU TO GET SOMEONE IN THAT ROOM WHO WANTS TO WIN A CUP!?"

So I can't shit on JR for stuff like that. There are sooooooooooo many other issues than that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Every single one of your posts is overwhelmingly negative. Why do you invest so much time in making posts like this, which is just bitching and not really productive dialogue?

JR is not an idiot, that’s just some classic HF nonsense. He gives out stupid contracts, but he’s literally in the HoF. The Marino trade was an absolute HOME-RUN. The fact that you compare that with other acquisitions is mind blowing to me, too early to suggest that right now, but that could be a franchise changing trade (if Marino becomes a top pairing guy). Likewise for Pettersson, we got two long-term top 4 defenseman for basically nothing. The fact that the team got eliminated from the playoffs after months off is not really a major concern for me, these were not normal circumstances.
JR isn't responsible for Marino. Stevens is. He found the kid and we gave up nothing to take a shot.

Ignore me if you want. This team's circling the drain and it's due to an incompetent GM that's flailed about randomly for the last several years, and a coach that's past his expiration date. I'm not going to stop bringing that up whenever I feel like it.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
yeah, but why’s he trading or signing the duds to begin with? Just stop it...I mean why was Hagelin traded for a player who didn’t fit? Why are we getting Reaves, signing JJ, picking up and then trading Oleksiak? Why are we giving up a good young player in Kahun to bring back Conor “let me fall again” Sheary? A lot of the moves are either senseless or based on emotion, and they shouldn’t be...
I agree he makes too many moves and often seems to be making a trade just for to say he made on (like the random klinkhammer trade).

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->