Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I might separate Malkin and Zucker and see what happens before moving on from Malkin, sort of like when faced with a car with a flat tire, I'd fix a flat tire before trading in the car.

That said, if you think the answer to a flat tire is to trade in the car as a first resort, you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

I’m sure that might be an option for Sullivan, if he’s willing to do that. I hope they try something.
For the record I enjoy seeing a player begin and end their career with the same team but I know that’s not how it mostly works.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m sure that might be an option for Sullivan, if he’s willing to do that. I hope they try something.
For the record I enjoy seeing a player begin and end their career with the same team but I know that’s not how it mostly works.

What makes you sure breaking up Malkin and Zucker is an option for Sullivan? :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin is my favorite Pen, but I’ve been warming to the idea of a trade over the past couple of years. Having said that, I’d ask for a slight ransom and only trade him if offered something great (which isn’t likely).

I'm surprised you don't know how this plays out. Malkin has all the leverage. The day it comes to a trade, the Pens will trade him for pennies on the dollar because they'll have no choice at that point. You'll get what the Coyotes gave up for Kessel if you're lucky, and the only problem with the 'well then we won't move him' retort is that I'm not sure it's that easy to pun the genie back into the bottle. Once you ask if he'll wave and he relents and gives you a team or two, it's over . . . only question is when.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I might separate Malkin and Zucker and see what happens before moving on from Malkin, sort of like when faced with a car with a flat tire, I'd fix a flat tire before trading in the car.

That said, if you think the answer to a flat tire is to trade in the car as a first resort, you're certainly entitled to that opinion.

Zucker isn't so much the tire of a car as he is a little Honda motorcycle doing wheelies around the car.

Reactions: KIRK

The Grim Reaper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm surprised you don't know how this plays out. Malkin has all the leverage. The day it comes to a trade, the Pens will trade him for pennies on the dollar because they'll have no choice at that point. You'll get what the Coyotes gave up for Kessel if you're lucky, and the only problem with the 'well then we won't move him' retort is that I'm not sure it's that easy to pun the genie back into the bottle. Once you ask if he'll wave and he relents and gives you a team or two, it's over . . . only question is when.

I get that Malkin has all the leverage, and will likely play out until we get a 7th for him, but there’s a part of me that thinks he might actually want to move on to a more competitive team to get one more cup before he retires. There’s always the possibility he actually wants to retire a Pen, who knows.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What's the record for number of teams on which a player has played in the same year?

Technically he didn't play for Carolina. I imagine the initial call went like......

Carolina GM
tenor.gif

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I get that Malkin has all the leverage, and will likely play out until we get a 7th for him, but there’s a part of me that thinks he might actually want to move on to a more competitive team to get one more cup before he retires. There’s always the possibility he actually wants to retire a Pen, who knows.

I imagine it's Florida or .......

JO4GWW.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Oh, that's a different matter, and I'm actually inclined to agree . . . if it ends with the Penguins in the next 18 months, he may choose to plan on in NHL.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
One of the worst slumps of Evgeni Malkin's career came in 2013-14 season, Bylsma's last as head coach.

From October 19 to November 22, Malkin didn't score a goal. That was a span of 15 games. He had just 13 assists in that span.

His linemates that year? Jussi Jokinen and James Neal. Neal was hurt for the early portion of that slump, and Malkin ended up saddled with Chuck Kobasew and Jayson Megna, but Neal came back at the beginning of November. Malkin's slump lasted another couple weeks.

Neal was Malkin's best partner. Not even he could stop a Geno slump.

Malkin has two goals in his last three games and points in five of his past seven. He's not clicking 100%, but it's not as dire as people make it out to be.

Seriously, give it to the end of the month. Bet anything that line will be producing at a solid rate.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Malkin in Florida would be unreal...I dunno what we would get in return from that team though. I am guessing Gudas would be a guy Burke would request back among other things but if we get shit back I say pack it up and start rebuilding because we wont have anyone left after Crosby to play C.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
One of the worst slumps of Evgeni Malkin's career came in 2013-14 season, Bylsma's last as head coach.

From October 19 to November 22, Malkin didn't score a goal. That was a span of 15 games. He had just 13 assists in that span.

His linemates that year? Jussi Jokinen and James Neal. Neal was hurt for the early portion of that slump, and Malkin ended up saddled with Chuck Kobasew and Jayson Megna, but Neal came back at the beginning of November. Malkin's slump lasted another couple weeks.

Malkin has two goals in his last three games and points in five of his past seven. He's not clicking 100%, but it's not as dire as people make it out to be.

Seriously, give it to the end of the month. Bet anything that line will be producing at a solid rate.

Thought Geno was pretty bad (for him) in the 2 years between our first cup win and him discovering that gyms exist.

He was obviously stellar once he got his noob gainz and kept up with that high level of play aside from '18-'19 where he was saddled with a PP-only guy and Jack Johnson behind him.

This season has been good, bad and ugly and Zucker hasn't helped. Aside from Kapanen's ability to get on breakaways I don't see as much as others there either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Neal was Malkin's best partner? In what sense? That he could score a lot of goals off shit Geno or Geno and the other winger set up? Sure.. But what did Neal do to make Malkin a better player? Malone. Talbot during the 2009 playoffs. Kunitz. Rust. Those guys were partners, because the word partnership implies a mutually beneficial relationship. But, Neal? Neal reminded me of a glorified Sykora . . . it was more a one way relationship in terms of the benefit than a true partnership.

EXIT CHALLENGE: Name one good Malkin line that developed chemistry over time. Name one good Malkin line where you couldn't see some instant chemistry and where there weren't some instant results.

Malone-Malkin-Sykora. Feds-Malkin-Talbot. Kunitz-Malkin-Sykora. Kunitz-Malkin-Rust in 2016. Hags-Malkin-Horny. Jake-Malkin-Rust. It took all of 2 seconds to know those lines would stick. There were some other good ones, but again any one you'll cite, the chemistry was there pretty much right away. You didn't need over a dozen games to see chemistry and results.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Thought Geno was pretty bad (for him) in the 2 years between our first cup win and him discovering that gyms exist.

He was obviously stellar once he got his noob gainz and kept up with that high level of play aside from '18-'19 where he was saddled with a PP-only guy and Jack Johnson behind him.

This season has been good, bad and ugly and Zucker hasn't helped. Aside from Kapanen's ability to get on breakaways I don't see as much as others there either.
Zucker is on pace for 18-20 goals in an 82 game season despite having some of the worst puck luck of his career (his PDO is 96.5, his lowest since 2014-15 and second lowest of his career).

Let. It. Play. Out.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Zucker is on pace for 18-20 goals in an 82 game season despite having some of the worst puck luck of his career (his PDO is 96.5, his lowest since 2014-15 and second lowest of his career).

Let. It. Play. Out.
I've never had a problem with Zucker, i'm cool with him staying. Rather him play with Crosby and Kapanen on a line and Jake/Rust with Malkin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad