Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Maybe race plays a role here. The more I watch him, the more I think he will be better than Eichel and Matthews. Really not sure what the concern is with him. Looks like a slam dunk pick to me.

Maybe but like, seriously probably not though.

Reactions: Nfumass

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Byfield is raw, and I've read that sometimes he doesn't put it all together--as exemplified by his underwhelming performances when playing with the best of his age group. He has an Ovechkin like physical toolset, but when you're a 6'4" 220 pound ox, on top of having first line NHL skills, putting up 2ppg vs children seems less impressive. Especially considering recent CHL big boys taken in the lottery. (Lawson Crouse, Logan Brown, Michael Rassmussen).

I also reject the idea that race is keeping a Canadian kid with his tools from being the rightful 1st OA.

Reactions: The Old Master

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
So uh, we gonna fire Sully and Recchi or what?

Schultz ain't getting re-signed. We've gotta fire JJ into the sun too right? How likely are we to sign McCann seeing as it looks like the centre thing ain't working? Is Sheary getting re-signed?

Reactions: domaug

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So uh, we gonna fire Sully and Recchi or what?

Schultz ain't getting re-signed. We've gotta fire JJ into the sun too right? How likely are we to sign McCann seeing as it looks like the centre thing ain't working? Is Sheary getting re-signed?

Perchance

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
New Jersey could use a goalie, and we could use a right wing who can play the left wall on the power play. I'd imagine we'd have to add to it but Murray+ for Palmieri could work. Palmieri is 29 and only has one year left so NJ might be willing to trade him to get younger. For us he fills a need until Poulin is ready, and his cap hit is less than 5 mil so we could actually afford him.

New Jersey look pretty happy with Blackwood.

Probably not feasible but what about something revolving around Murray for Bertuzzi? We’d have to add something.

I doubt they're trading Bertuzzi for anything short of an obscene offer.

Idea that players aren't taking things seriously enough might apply to certain teams occasionally, but I don't understand why anyone would look at this team and think that.

I don't understand how anyone who watched the last game could look at the team and not wonder if something was wrong with their mental approach in the here and now.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Not saying I want Malkin gone but...

If the Pens are trading Malkin, what are some legit offers. You woukd think that a team that feels they can win within the next 3 years would be interested.

Benn and a 1st

Laine

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
We could get Gerard Gallant and run Vegas' system but with actual players.
Vegas played an extremely daring style where the forwards tried penetrating the middle of the ice at full speed. Super entertaining. They forced defenses to make difficult split-second decisions. The ensuing chaos from those rushes created a lot of second and third opportunities, with unmarked Knights all over the place.

Meanwhile we're a very deliberate, measured, perimeter team. Almost cowardly, with a few exceptions like Tanev and Rust.

Your proposition intrigues me, but we need younger legs to make it work. Maybe a few of those changes are coming this off-season. I do think that Gallant could inject a lot of direly needed positive energy though. That's just in his nature. It couldn't be more clear to me that this whole coaching staff has gone stale. They need a fresh voice, a different perspective.

Reactions: Rave7215 and domaug

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe race plays a role here. The more I watch him, the more I think he will be better than Eichel and Matthews. Really not sure what the concern is with him. Looks like a slam dunk pick to me.
Byfield is raw, and I've read that sometimes he doesn't put it all together--as exemplified by his underwhelming performances when playing with the best of his age group. He has an Ovechkin like physical toolset, but when you're a 6'4" 220 pound ox, on top of having first line NHL skills, putting up 2ppg vs children seems less impressive. Especially considering recent CHL big boys taken in the lottery. (Lawson Crouse, Logan Brown, Michael Rassmussen).

I also reject the idea that race is keeping a Canadian kid with his tools from being the rightful 1st OA.
the kid's just young and i'm sure they are not going to be happy with an debate about phoney raceisum.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
the kid's just young and i'm sure they are not going to be happy with an debate about phoney raceisum.

"In speaking with over 20+ current and former professional players, executives, scouts, writers and analysts to explain the aforementioned phenomena, they were unanimous that hockey suffers what they deemed as the Black Quarterback affliction".

Racial Bias in Drafting and Development: The NHL’s Black Quarterback Problem

This isn't phony. I've got no way of knowing how much it might be affecting evaluations of Byfield (who's clearly already really highly rated by a ton of people) but there is a measurable disparity in how players are evaluated when they're not white.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
"In speaking with over 20+ current and former professional players, executives, scouts, writers and analysts to explain the aforementioned phenomena, they were unanimous that hockey suffers what they deemed as the Black Quarterback affliction".

Racial Bias in Drafting and Development: The NHL’s Black Quarterback Problem

This isn't phony. I've got no way of knowing how much it might be affecting evaluations of Byfield (who's clearly already really highly rated by a ton of people) but there is a measurable disparity in how players are evaluated when they're not white.
that's like saying the nba is racist because they are not 50% white. cut the bull
there is a lot of money to be made in the race baiting business but it needs to end.

Last edited:

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

If the Pens are trading Malkin, what are some legit offers. You woukd think that a team that feels they can win within the next 3 years would be interested.

Benn and a 1st

Laine

Dustin Brown and others for sure, let's party like its 2014 again.

Reactions: Burn

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Here's what I would do:

Murray to Edmonton for Bear + 1st
Letang to Winnipeg for Vesalainen + 1st/2nd
McCann for a 2nd somewhere
Let Sheary/Schultz/Marleau walk
Sign Haula & Vatanen & a backup
Buyout JJ

Guentzel - Crosby - Vesalainen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin - Haula - Tanev
ZAR - Blueger - Hornqvist

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - Vatanen
Joseph - Bear

Jarry
FA

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Here's what I would do:

Murray to Edmonton for Bear + 1st
Letang to Winnipeg for Vesalainen + 1st/2nd
McCann for a 2nd somewhere
Let Sheary/Schultz/Marleau walk
Sign Haula & Vatanen & a backup
Buyout JJ

Guentzel - Crosby - Vesalainen
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Poulin - Haula - Tanev
ZAR - Blueger - Hornqvist

Dumoulin - Marino
Pettersson - Vatanen
Joseph - Bear

Jarry
FA
if you can make those trades ... we need you as gm.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Benn and a 1st

Laine

Why would Winnipeg trade Laine for Malkin?

Reactions: Rave7215

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vegas attacks offensively while still rarely giving up odd man breaks against. Not sure how that works but it seems perfect for us. Always seemed to be an emphasis on shots from anywhere too, especially the D- not dilly dallying and just whipping it somewhere in the general direction of the net. Rather than going D to D which only gives the defenders time to get into lanes or body position, or throwing it back deep while your forwards are trying to crash the net, which is essentially seceding possession.

Gallant seems to have no qualms with sitting guys too. He doesn’t care about tenure or contract status. And not in a malicious “send a message” way, but simply to put the best team on the ice to win.

He’s gotta have his downsides. Can he make tweaks and adjustments on the fly? Is he an X’s and O’s guy? Can he get superstars to buy in? Are we fast enough top to bottom for his system to work? Will Dumoulin’s head explode if he’s required to shoot on net?

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You'll never get equitable value for trading Malkin or Letang, so I'd really only explore those IF cap space and/or team solvency are the big issues.

Honestly, anyone who wants to trade Malkin though can go f*** a pineapple though. It's a dumb yinzer idea.

As long as the core is cool with a retool over the next couple seasons, yeah, they should stay.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only way Geno is dealt is if he's made it known he would like to chase one last Cup elsewhere, and doesn't believe this team can sort itself out before his current deal is up.

I don't think we can deal Letang, to be quite honest. Even if it's in our best interest to do so, which is debatable, how on earth do you remove Letang from this current blueline without throwing in the towel completely? :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"Malkin really needed to be much better in that series. Hopefully he can come back next season strong because trading him at this point is as pointless as it is stupid."

There. That's all some of you one-track-mind, predictable-as-the-Sun-and-Moon dinguses have to say. This run to the keyboards to trade the guy after every season is the dumbest shit ever.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Vegas attacks offensively while still rarely giving up odd man breaks against. Not sure how that works but it seems perfect for us. Always seemed to be an emphasis on shots from anywhere too, especially the D- not dilly dallying and just whipping it somewhere in the general direction of the net. Rather than going D to D which only gives the defenders time to get into lanes or body position, or throwing it back deep while your forwards are trying to crash the net, which is essentially seceding possession.

Gallant seems to have no qualms with sitting guys too. He doesn’t care about tenure or contract status. And not in a malicious “send a message” way, but simply to put the best team on the ice to win.

He’s gotta have his downsides. Can he make tweaks and adjustments on the fly? Is he an X’s and O’s guy? Can he get superstars to buy in? Are we fast enough top to bottom for his system to work? Will Dumoulin’s head explode if he’s required to shoot on net?

Gallant's game 7 collapse against SJS was almost as weird as our collapse this season and his system is pretty simple - he's not a systems geek, just a player's guy who gets them skating hard. A lot of what he'd be for us would be a fresh version of Sully without as involved a system.

I don't think we can deal Letang, to be quite honest. Even if it's in our best interest to do so, which is debatable, how on earth do you remove Letang from this current blueline without throwing in the towel completely? :laugh:

The team kept going just fine when Letang was injured this season. I don't know how much weight I'd put on that, but it's a pattern over the past few seasons. Letang gets injured and we all panic and everything is fine.

It feels really counter-intuitive given he has a massive impact when he is playing most the time but I'm not sure he's actually a guy who's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad