Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Byfield's one of the youngest in the draft. Has a mid-August birthday. He's still 17.

I do think there is some basis due to race. Laf is one of the older kids. Not surprised he did better in tourneys.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Two first things we need to look for in picking a prospect: skating and IQ...that’s it...Jake shows that skating and smarts is more important than size or any other physical attribute

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Byfield's one of the youngest in the draft. Has a mid-August birthday. He's still 17.

I do think there is some basis due to race. Laf is one of the older kids. Not surprised he did better in tourneys.

Yeah, I wouldn't compared Byfield to Lafreniere based on their respective WJC performances anyways due to age and the fact Lafreniere is a returnee. Almost no one excels at those tournaments as a 17 year old.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
For a player his stature and position, some might view Byfield’s lack of willingness to engage physically as an negative aspect.

There are always going to be the comparisons to Getzlaf or Thornton, but Sudbury alumnus Eric Staal is probably the best example from the type of my mind. Both are big centremen that can create plays and burry the puck in the net; they will never be mistaken for power-forwards.

The race argument is a complete non-sequitur. How anyone can make that argument is completely ludicrous without any evidence.

Reactions: The Old Master

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
You can spend all day splitting hairs between Byfield and Stutzle. I've seen criticism of Stutzle's decision making in terms of making passes that just aren't there and not taking the higher % play. Passing too much to try to get the puck into the danger zones when when the higher % play is him shooting the puck. Doesn't shoot as enough as he should....

EDIT: Forgot the Euro prospect favorite....How will his game translate to the smaller ice surfaces of NA?

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I wouldn't compared Byfield to Lafreniere based on their respective WJC performances anyways due to age and the fact Lafreniere is a returnee. Almost no one excels at those tournaments as a 17 year old.

Including Lafreniere. The arguments against Byfield are always regarding his “attitude” just like Kane, Akiu, etc. it’s pretty obvious what people are getting at.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've thrown this idea out before, but I wonder if the Penguins just do Murray to Minnesota for their 1st back. Minnesota had to go with Stalock in the playoffs because of how far Dubnyk has fallen off, and he didn't really do anything to suggest he should keep the role next year (.897 save% in the playoffs).

The Wild have $17 million in cap space with only Greenway and Kunin to re-sign and basically a full roster, and that's with keeping Dubnyk for next year. Dubnyk only has 1 year left on his deal, so they probably have the money to run with Murray-Dubnyk for next year and then let Dubnyk walk after next year.

If you were Minnesota (or anyone else), would you pay a 1st for Murray given the impending goalie market?

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd be moving Zucker rather than Lafreniere to RW and run Lafreniere-Sid-Zucker and Jake-Geno-Rust (or Jake-Sid-Zucker and Lafreniere-Geno-Rust), but admittedly my interest would be in best leveraging the top 6 and winning hockey games.
Or run 3 lines deep.

Laf
Jake
Zucker

Hornqvist
Rust
Sheary?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kings, Sharks, Wild & Wings. Probably the Wings more than anyone.

Holtby, Crawford, and Lehner are free agents, as are Greiss and Talbot (who's having a good playoffs now).

Gotta also figure the Rangers are trading a goalie.

I can see a 2nd or a 2nd and a prospect or a 3rd for Murray and a cap dump, but with it being a buyers market due to the flat cap and number of available goalies, I just can't see a first (although obviously I'd be happy to be wrong).

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Kings, Sharks, Wild & Wings. Probably the Wings more than anyone.

Sharks don’t have the money. Unless they get a team to take Martin Jones.

Looking at capfriendly, the teams that have the space are Canucks, Chicago, Buffalo, Wings, Avs and Sens. I also believe the Devils could LTIR Schneider for the rest of his career and then they have space.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sharks don’t have the money. Unless they get a team to take Martin Jones.

Looking at capfriendly, the teams that have the space are Canucks, Chicago, Buffalo, Wings, Avs and Sens. I also believe the Devils could LTIR Schneider for the rest of his career and then they have space.

It's not going to be a playoff team that jumps at Murray, not unless it's a split goal scenario and the trade and contract prices are cheap.

Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, and yeah MAYBE New Jersey would be my guesses.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interest, yes.

Willing to pony up a reasonable price? Debatable.

What's a reasonable trade price for Murray? Can't see it being much more than a 2nd at this point (again, hope I'm wrong, but it's a big time buyer's market).

Reactions: EightyOne

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What's a reasonable trade price for Murray? Can't see it being much more than a 2nd at this point (again, hope I'm wrong, but it's a big time buyer's market).

If it's not a first may as well keep him as bait for the expansion draft, and next year's playoffs.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If it's not a first may as well keep him as bait for the expansion draft, and next year's playoffs.

Nah. The ship has sailed on Murray. Not 100% on it, but as with Phil, I suspect they've crossed the proverbial 'stay or go' rubicon with Murray. Just the way it's going to be . . .

They'll either go with CDS or find a vet to partner with and mentor Jarry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->