Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: The Trades We'd Make Before The Play Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love Rust this year but to be honest his value will never be higher.

A Rust trade would stink like the Hagelin deal. Guys like that aren't the end all and be all, but making him the sacrificial lamb just screams 'well, we need to shake things up, so let's do something that not only refuses to address the type of harder choice that needs to be made but also ***** everything up further'.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Rust's value is in his contract compared to his production. Sure, you might be able to make a hockey trade where you maximize a career year out of him. But you won't be bringing back something that's at his price range.

And even if he never comes close to this kind of offense again, he's still a guy who usually scored 15~ goals and 35+~ points, who can PK, and who can play up and down the lineup, all for around $3 and a half million.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Murray. JJ. Bjugstad. Call me crazy, but I don't see rearranging the deck chairs as being a shakeup.

(where did he mention, what specifically did he say)

Crosby and Malkin aren’t going anywhere. They’re Penguins for life, as they should be. But if the Penguins lose one of the next two games, I have to imagine that major, major changes are coming to this lineup. They were swept last season. They’re about to lose in a preliminary-round series against a team that was pretty much tanking in the second half of the season, trading off players and looking nothing like even an average NHL squad.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby and Malkin aren’t going anywhere. They’re Penguins for life, as they should be. But if the Penguins lose one of the next two games, I have to imagine that major, major changes are coming to this lineup. They were swept last season. They’re about to lose in a preliminary-round series against a team that was pretty much tanking in the second half of the season, trading off players and looking nothing like even an average NHL squad.

Then it's got to be Letang or Sullivan (with or without Rutherford going). Those are the only two other moves that can be made that are significant enough to qualify.

Murray? Anyone else? That's window dressing.

The problem is that, as @Scandale du Jour and I discussed last night, the time to move Letang was last summer or the summer before or December 2017 (when that trade talk was legit). Now? It's a part and futures deal.

On the other hand, a week ago, I'd have imagined, even losing to the Habs, that Sullivan was 100% safe. Now? I'm not so sure. More likely than not safe, but man has he screwed the proverbial pooch in this series.

What a mess . . .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Then it's got to be Letang or Sullivan (with or without Rutherford going). Those are the only two other moves that can be made that are significant enough to qualify.

The problem is that, as @Scandale du Jour and I discussed last night, the time to move Letang was last summer or the summer before or December 2017 (when that trade talk was legit). Now? It's a part and futures deal.

On the other hand, a week ago, I'd have imagined, even losing to the Habs, that Sullivan was 100% safe. Now? I'm not so sure. More likely than not safe, but man has he screwed the proverbial pooch in this series.

What a mess . . .

This is why, whether good or bad, we have to keep Malkin and Letang. Because even though they're still really good players, their age makes them less attractive, so you're going to only get futures and/or unproven guys or guys who also need a change of scenery in return. This isn't like the old days with the "Malkin for Doughty/Kopitar" talk. It's more like Malkin for a similar package we paid to land Kessel.

Reactions: KIRK

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

What a mess . . .

Sully could very well lose his job. Not that it matters, but Yohe, Gentile, Rossi are all screaming for him to sit Murray, Marleau, JJ, and Schultz. If he doesn't and they lose his biggest supporters will be calling for his head.

Sadly firing Sully doesn't help the team win. It's crazy how a loss and the 1OA pick could change things potentially for the better very quickly. A loss and 12th overall? Maybe not.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we are trading McCann does JR target Haula? how much will Haula be looking to get paid? @ColePens would love that guy.

Out would be JJ, Bjugstad, McCann, Sheary, Simon, Marleau, ZAR, E-Rod, Schultz, MM.

Reactions: ColePens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think you can trade Rust unless you're attaching Johnson to him, to be honest. You're strapped for cap space and Rust only makes $3.5 million, you can't replace Rust with that little money. For me to do a Rust trade, I'd need to get a near equivalent RW for him and you can't get that for only $3.5 million.

Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Zucker and Marino are the only "safe" players to me. Crosby and Malkin are obvious, they just got Zucker and I don't think they'd get the value they need in a 1 for 1 swap with Guentzel, Rust and Marino. I'm tempted to include Letang and put him in the same category as Rust, Guentzel and Marino, but I could see JR trying to force it and making a bad deal because of it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't think you can trade Rust unless you're attaching Johnson to him, to be honest. You're strapped for cap space and Rust only makes $3.5 million, you can't replace Rust with that little money. For me to do a Rust trade, I'd need to get a near equivalent RW for him and you can't get that for only $3.5 million.

Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust, Zucker and Marino are the only "safe" players to me. Crosby and Malkin are obvious, they just got Zucker and I don't think they'd get the value they need in a 1 for 1 swap with Guentzel, Rust and Marino. I'm tempted to include Letang and put him in the same category as Rust, Guentzel and Marino, but I could see JR trying to force it and making a bad deal because of it.

It's probably Rust for a ELC and McCann at Rust's number tbh. Which makes no sense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
A Rust trade would stink like the Hagelin deal. Guys like that aren't the end all and be all, but making him the sacrificial lamb just screams 'well, we need to shake things up, so let's do something that not only refuses to address the type of harder choice that needs to be made but also ***** everything up further'.

I mean, if they fire Sullivan and move Rust, Murray and JJ. I think that is something. The issue is I don't want to know what JR moves those players for lol.

Eriksson - Malkin - Hornqvist

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well I just had a Sabres fan say that a Ristolainen for Letang trade MIGHT make sense if both were 25, so that just tells me that Buffalo fans aren't worth engaging with on this site :laugh:

Dear lord, the levels of delusion.

If both were 25 it's Risto++ for Letang but I would just keep Letang at that point.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's probably Rust for a ELC and McCann at Rust's number tbh. Which makes no sense.

No way they do that, McCann's a goner this off-season with him getting scratched in the playoffs. They can't rationalize paying him what he'll get if they can't even trust him to play in the playoffs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

If he’s just the scape goat, then yes that would be a terrible way to address an early exit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I agree with your explanation on Zucker on why he's safe but I don't think he's safe like Jake or Marino is safe. I doubt they trade the new toy after giving up so much but I certainly don't think he's untouchable in the right deal.

Man, how much better off would we be right now if Zucker+Rask for Kessel+JJ had gone through...man oh man.

The only problem is that you still need to dump JJ. I THINK Ottawa would be a good team to dump him to as they have the 2nd most cap space right now and they only have 4 D signed for next season.

1OA+JJ For 3OA+5OA should be the base of the trade, but I don't think Ottawa bites unless we take a big contract back due to their internal financial constraints.

In that scenario, I think you can have JJ be the #7/8 with there being a standing "try to trade him" angle. Players go up and down so much throughout the season that he may be of value to someone somewhere.

Are you kidding me? Ottawa would move heaven and earth to get Lafreniere.

You could tell them 1OV, Murray, Bjugstad, and Johnson for 3OV and 5OV, and they'd bite . . . they'd do whatever it took to make the budget work, that's how big a deal getting Lafreniere would be for them right now.

BUT, the Pens aren't moving 1OV if they get it. As I said, they'll use Murray and a 2nd to rid themselves of Johnson and Bjugstad if that's what it takes. BUT, there's a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance they even think of moving their next generation superstar to take over when Sid is done.

Is Lafreniere the next gen superstar though? I mean, he's the consensus 1OV but what I've read, my feeling is he's more the Hughes, Hischier, RNH, maybe Hall type, not the McDavid, Matthews, Eichel type. Is that accurate? If you take the 1OV since 2004, I'm sensing he's on the lower end of 1OV quality.

If we are trading McCann does JR target Haula? how much will Haula be looking to get paid? @ColePens would love that guy.

Out would be JJ, Bjugstad, McCann, Sheary, Simon, Marleau, ZAR, E-Rod, Schultz, MM.

Haula would be a good short term option but I feel like he's the guy that is gonna get overpaid because there's a lack of quality players in his category. He seems like the guy you say "At the price, oh f*** no" when you read the new contract details.

Also, I don't hate the idea of keeping Simon. He's a decent player and can skate on a line with Sid. That's fairly rare actually when Sid finds an acceptable wing, even though he's not he 80pt guy we all want. I doubt ZAR goes anywhere either. The rest, you're probably right as to they are on the cut list but how many can get out is anyones guess. I think JJ, Bjugstad are tough sells. The other UFAs, whatevs. Though don't be shocked if Sheary comes back at a 3yr, $2-3mil/yr deal.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Letang is still a good contract for what he brings. He is down the list of moves to me. there are far more important moves to clear the deck. JJ, Murray, possibly McCann, Bjugstad, for starters.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't really see a RH shot solving any of the issues that we are seeing.

Entries and no movement isn't a RH shot issue.

The PP isn't moving because we're putting square pegs in a round hole. An RH shot who can read pressure and provide a genuine threat from the left boards opens things up. With the players we have, Sullivan is forced to twist the PP into all kinds of absurd contortions, and it's been about as effective as it looks on paper.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The PP isn't moving because we're putting square pegs in a round hole. An RH shot who can read pressure and provide a genuine threat from the left boards opens things up. With the players we have, Sullivan is forced to twist the PP into all kinds of absurd contortions, and it's been about as effective as it looks on paper.

I mean, we had Kessel and the power play looked exactly like this for the last two years. Hell, last year it looked worse.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
@SEALBound

From what I’ve read LaFraniere is above Huges/Hischier/RNH below McJesus, Matthews, Eichel. He’s Hall or better. Definitely not Yakupov haha.

If JR could have made that initial trade we’d have Addison, our first this year and next, and be better off!

Reactions: SEALBound

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Lafreniere the next gen superstar though? I mean, he's the consensus 1OV but what I've read, my feeling is he's more the Hughes, Hischier, RNH, maybe Hall type, not the McDavid, Matthews, Eichel type. Is that accurate? If you take the 1OV since 2004, I'm sensing he's on the lower end of 1OV quality.

It's hard to quantify because he's a winger and wingers generally don't impact the game as much as centers, but in terms of upside/skillset he's pretty much on par with an Eichel. He's got tonnes more hockey IQ than Hall and also possesses a better shot. He's also more physical and better defensively.

In terms of projections, he's the type of winger who'll probably get around 30-35 goals and around 90 points in a lot of his prime years, with some outliers either way in peak/down seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->