Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - And meanwhile back at the Candlerock Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is how it always goes. They start suppppper high and things end up however they end up. I am very shocked with how little movement there is for the month of January.
I feel kind of bad that I am glad Filip Gustavsson hasn't panned out for them, so if we can have that same situation happen where they trade off a guy and he doesn't end up turning into a Naslund or a Kapanen, I can live with that, lol.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
You have to go down 15 teams before you see cap space. It won;t be easy to add a player making nice money without corresponding moves. Pens are in decent shape even without LTIR for Jake. But it still requires assets to trade for what the Pens really need. I like a first move of Smith from Nashville as a nice add at forward.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Marino reminds me a bit of Martin. Good offense, good defense, good skater, not overly physical. I'd be a'ok if he turned into Martin.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah. That is my exact point. Aside from Letang’s shot which is one of the better D shots in the league. I see Marino providing a lot of what Letang brings to the PP. Letang’s shot is often criticized though and people wish he had a cannon or “hit the net”.

I guess I’ll take my Parayko comparison a little further. He used to be forced into that PP spot. He isn’t that player, I don’t see Marino being that player either. Let him eat ES minutes and PK. Move Letang to be more PP and offensively based.

It is literally the same thing they did with Pietrangelo.

No need to shoehorn Marino into a PP role, but I'd be hesitant to say he's incapable of just about anything hockey-related considering how effortlessly he's dealt with everything we've thrown at him as a rookie.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
when would you say the skating era began? I remember Martin being really solid for us after his first year, including a year where he was outstanding.

I would say when Chicago really went into running it, the game turned to speed in a big way. It's tough to say when, but you could see some times switch to speed and it start to work. Then teams went away from it for no reason.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would say when Chicago really went into running it, the game turned to speed in a big way. It's tough to say when, but you could see some times switch to speed and it start to work. Then teams went away from it for no reason.
eh, I think it's hard to say with him. He had a lot of injuries later in his career. My memory of him is that he was a really good skater even if he wasn't super fast. In general I think Martin gets underrated; he was a really good player for quite a while. Take him near his prime and put him in the NHL today and he's a top 4 D on pretty damn close to every team in the league, including us. And considering who he would be replacing, he'd be improving the skating of our D group for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: vabm8

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The player we thought we were getting and the player we got in Paul Martin was not identical. I honestly would love to revisit his time here in the 412. It was not great.
I really disagree after his first year here. Maybe he trailed back off at the end, but he was really good for us most of his time here. Except that he was hurt too much.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
eh, I think it's hard to say with him. He had a lot of injuries later in his career. My memory of him is that he was a really good skater even if he wasn't super fast. In general I think Martin gets underrated; he was a really good player for quite a while. Take him near his prime and put him in the NHL today and he's a top 4 D on pretty damn close to every team in the league, including us. And considering who he would be replacing, he'd be improving the skating of our D group for sure.

I think age and some lbi in San Jose* got him but I really liked him for most of his time on the Pens. We’d kill for prime Paul Martin in the top 4 today, imo.

*Scuderi definitely had an ankle injury hasten his demise and descent into unspeakably terrible, so maybe I’m thinking of him with the lbi.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
maybe I have the year mixed up. He had the one real bad year for sure.
Year 1 he was decent, Michalek was a nightmare, year 2 he struggled and as mpp9 said, he was pretty much asked to waive, but he rebounded and looked solid until his final year with the Pens. But I remember Paul being a very smooth skater, I don't get the skating thing either, but maybe there's stuff I'm not remembering.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I seemed to remember Paul Martin (and Michalek for that matter) being really good down the stretch in 2010-2011 when Nick Johnson, Ryan Craig, Joe Vitale, Brett Sterling, and Tim Wallace were in the lineup and we were winning every game 2-1 (SO). His 2011-12 season may be the worst season I’ve ever seen from a Penguins defenseman though, and that’s including Johnson last year, Scuderi’s second run here, and Ryan Whitney post-foot surgery when he could barely move on the ice.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
when would you say the skating era began? I remember Martin being really solid for us after his first year, including a year where he was outstanding.

People always misremember Martin. Guy sucked horribly in 2012 and was good every other year, including his first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->