Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh

Thanks for posting. Really excited about this kid. His team was total crap, as you can tell from the clips. He reminded me of Marc-Andre Fleury on those early X-Generation teams. Probably a little less adventurous in playing the puck, but there were a few hiccups there.

I think his main priority needs to be long range. He is a big kid, but he drops early on shots from far out and gets beat in ways he shouldn't as a result. But consider this: he was so good in Allsvenskan, he posted a .919 sv% on the worst team in the league. His partner, a competent netminder in his own right, came out of that same environment at .863.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is Clang signed? I forget. But considering how badly all of our WB/S goalies busted this year, I'd like to see a young goalie with potential there, and with Larmi gone, that's an opening for him. The question there, outside of Clang's willingness to come over, would be whether or not WB/S is a good place to develop a goalie. That's the thing I'm not so sure about.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is Clang signed? I forget. But considering how badly all of our WB/S goalies busted this year, I'd like to see a young goalie with potential there, and with Larmi gone, that's an opening for him. The question there, outside of Clang's willingness to come over, would be whether or not WB/S is a good place to develop a goalie. That's the thing I'm not so sure about.

Not sure how accurate the bolded is. D'Orio posted a .915 in his 11 games and Lagace a .907 in 9 games. Not sure how much strength of team/opposition might have played into that but on the surface, that's a respectable return for D'Orio and a meh but not bad bust return for Lagace. All the other guys - including Larmi - posted awful stats, but the main two guys didn't.

Which is mainly pertinent in terms of whether it'd be an okay place to put Clang I guess. But I can't see WBS getting much weaker when considered head to head against its opposition when its about to get an influx of genuinely interesting forwards so I don't see why not (although I'd add he's listed as under contract to Rogle BK for 21-22 and without a Pens contract on EliteProspects so doubt it).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not sure how accurate the bolded is. D'Orio posted a .915 in his 11 games and Lagace a .907 in 9 games. Not sure how much strength of team/opposition might have played into that but on the surface, that's a respectable return for D'Orio and a meh but not bad bust return for Lagace. All the other guys - including Larmi - posted awful stats, but the main two guys didn't.

Which is mainly pertinent in terms of whether it'd be an okay place to put Clang I guess. But I can't see WBS getting much weaker when considered head to head against its opposition when its about to get an influx of genuinely interesting forwards so I don't see why not (although I'd add he's listed as under contract to Rogle BK for 21-22 and without a Pens contract on EliteProspects so doubt it).

Lagace is 28 though. I guess I'm being hard on him, but I'm looking at this through the lens of developing a goalie for NHL use. Lagace is fine as a vet presence/absolute emergency call-up, but if he didn't get the nod in the last postseason with one injured and one severely struggling goalie, he's not going to get the nod ever outside of extenuating circumstances. I'm not saying jettison him per se, he's still a useful player for the Baby Pens and might be a good vet to have in the lockerroom for young developing Pens goalies.

But if we learned anything from the last postseason, it's that we need to keep a viable supply of young goalies in the system if we're going to go cheap in that position in the NHL. So, that's where I'm coming from.

I lean towards trying to get Clang to come over, but I also am not very impressed by our recent goalie development, so I dunno what's best for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lagace is 28 though. I guess I'm being hard on him, but I'm looking at this through the lens of developing a goalie for NHL use. Lagace is fine as a vet presence/absolute emergency call-up, but if he didn't get the nod in the last postseason with one injured and one severely struggling goalie, he's not going to get the nod ever outside of extenuating circumstances. I'm not saying jettison him per se, he's still a useful player for the Baby Pens and might be a good vet to have in the lockerroom for young developing Pens goalies.

But if we learned anything from the last postseason, it's that we need to keep a viable supply of young goalies in the system if we're going to go cheap in that position in the NHL. So, that's where I'm coming from.

I lean towards trying to get Clang to come over, but I also am not very impressed by our recent goalie development, so I dunno what's best for him.

Sure, but the statement is still factually inaccurate :P

But to the meat of what you're saying rather than that one sentence - sure, nobody cares about Lagace in terms of future NHL goalies. And he's a pending UFA anyway. I'd suggest caring a little about D'Orio, as a 22 year old second year pro with a .915 save percentage and no obvious athletic shortcomings has some interest, but not enough to say no to better prospects. Also given how he's trending in the right direction, I'm not sure why you're mistrusting our goalie development? Is that about Larmi busting, or about the way our developed goalies aren't fulfilling their ceilings in the NHL (which I'd argue doesn't have much to do with WBS, nor Andy Chiodo who'd have had the briefest overlap with them)?

In any case, for Clang to make his NHL debut next season he'd be a top 10 youngest goaltender to debut, and for him to make it at the start of the season after he'd still be pretty close. I'm excited by the excitement but I'd not expect him to be ready so quickly that it particularly matters whether he's in WBS next season or not in terms of being an option/beginning his acclimitisation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think we have to really look at the idea that Mike Buckley is at fault for Murray's decline. Murray sucked in Ottawa.

If anything Buckley has done a decent job with Jarry and Desmith IMO. I'd be fine firing him, but only focusing on the bad seems odd.

Reactions: Burn

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I'd be hesitant to bring Clang over already. He's signed as one of two goalies for one of the best and most well-run organizations in Sweden right now, so I'd give him a year at the top level in a top club and see how he fares. Remember, he's only 19. I expect him to get 15 to 20 games (backup numbers) for Rögle this year, and depending on the results we could look at it again next summer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think we have to really look at the idea that Mike Buckley is at fault for Murray's decline. Murray sucked in Ottawa.

If anything Buckley has done a decent job with Jarry and Desmith IMO. I'd be fine firing him, but only focusing on the bad seems odd.

Phone posting so I’ll get back to the other posts after the draft ‘cause I gotta teach summer school kids tomorrow. :laugh:

I’m unsure what to make about Buckley— on the one hand, he’s not responsible for Murray’s continued implosion for sure. But on the other hand, he’s also taken over Bales’ post (AFAIK) as the head of goalie development, and that’s the issue I’m trying to figure out, I guess. It’s very likely that Larmi is just not good, and we know CDS and Jarry have their warts- that’s why they’re cheap. On the other hand, we’ve had some spectacularly bad goaltending performances the last few years, and even if the goalies in question are just utter shit, I still feel like the goalie coach needs to take some heat for multiple goalies not progressing, or even actively regressing. In my mind, it’s a question of results— if they goalie coach isn’t able to get the players there to improve, then maybe we need a new perspective there? We did it with Gonch and other positional coaches before, so I’m not sure why Buckley gets a pass there.

It’s possible that Buckley might be a good goalie coach. But we should be seeing some progress there somehow, so if goal continues to be an issue, we should consider moving on from him IMO.

But goal is such a weird team-dependent position that I’m willing to give Buckley a little bit more time to work his mojo, as it were.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Phone posting so I’ll get back to the other posts after the draft ‘cause I gotta teach summer school kids tomorrow. :laugh:

I’m unsure what to make about Buckley— on the one hand, he’s not responsible for Murray’s continued implosion for sure. But on the other hand, he’s also taken over Bales’ post (AFAIK) as the head of goalie development, and that’s the issue I’m trying to figure out, I guess. It’s very likely that Larmi is just not good, and we know CDS and Jarry have their warts- that’s why they’re cheap. On the other hand, we’ve had some spectacularly bad goaltending performances the last few years, and even if the goalies in question are just utter shit, I still feel like the goalie coach needs to take some heat for multiple goalies not progressing, or even actively regressing. In my mind, it’s a question of results— if they goalie coach isn’t able to get the players there to improve, then maybe we need a new perspective there? We did it with Gonch and other positional coaches before, so I’m not sure why Buckley gets a pass there.

It’s possible that Buckley might be a good goalie coach. But we should be seeing some progress there somehow, so if goal continues to be an issue, we should consider moving on from him IMO.

But goal is such a weird team-dependent position that I’m willing to give Buckley a little bit more time to work his mojo, as it were.

Unless I've missed something, Buckley's the NHL goaltending coach, not the goaltending development coach. That's Chiodo. Chiodo's the one turning up at WBS. Whatever Buckley is or isn't, he'd probably only work with the guys in WBS at pre-season and if they were called up.

(I also think DeSmith has absolutely smashed expectations in the last few years and that Jarry has broadly progressed as a goalie in that time frame too).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Unless I've missed something, Buckley's the NHL goaltending coach, not the goaltending development coach. That's Chiodo. Chiodo's the one turning up at WBS. Whatever Buckley is or isn't, he'd probably only work with the guys in WBS at pre-season and if they were called up.

(I also think DeSmith has absolutely smashed expectations in the last few years and that Jarry has broadly progressed as a goalie in that time frame too).

That's a pretty recent development, I think. Buckley also proudly proclaims that he was our goalie development coach on his own CV on the NHL site with that title so.. I dunno. :dunno: :laugh: I'm gonna quote it here just because it's a great bit of dumb-ass CVery that we've all written at some point:

• Served previous 4 seasons as the Penguins goaltending development coach. Was responsible for working with and assisting in the development of goalie prospects and players throughout the Penguins organization

Like, yeah man. I also facilitated in the synergetic uptick between international clients during my time as the office coffee boy too. :laugh:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
That's a pretty recent development, I think. Buckley also proudly proclaims that he was our goalie development coach on his own CV on the NHL site with that title so.. I dunno. :dunno: :laugh: I'm gonna quote it here just because it's a great bit of dumb-ass CVery that we've all written at some point:

Like, yeah man. I also facilitated in the synergetic uptick between international clients during my time as the office coffee boy too. :laugh:

Buckley was promoted from Goaltending Development Coach to NHL Goaltending Coach after the Pens let Mike Bales go in 2017, just after they won back-to-back Cups. Buckley might have served double-duty for a bit after that, but Andy Chiodo was hired to be the new Goaltending Development Coach in June of 2018, and has served that role since.

Buckley not updating his CV is probably like me not updating my resume for the last several years - if you're not interested in changing jobs, there's no reason to do so.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I found a goalie coach for us: former NHLer Jari Kaarela. Long time coach in Finland and Russia. He’s worked with Backstrom, Thomas, Sorokin, Shesterkin and even our current director of goalie development Chiodo.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just glancing over the Pens prospects following the draft, they sure do have a lot of LW.

Poulin, Hallander, Broz, Zohorna, DOC, Gruden, Bjorkqvist, Miletic. The first 3 have potential at C at least, but Bellerive is probably the most projectable C prospect in our system.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Developing Poulin at center is the move that will certainly help the cause. He was decent to good at time in Jr's and has the size, pedigree and IQ to be a top 9 center with mostly second line potential in the future. Correct DOC, Poulin can play center and have the size that I like. DOC is a wild card here as a top 9 LW. Bjorkvist is a 4th line with potential to be a third line LW as well. His speed is better and his skill set has improved. Arvid really likes Hallander so no question he pushed for his return in the McCann deal. But that said, Pens need a number of drafts to rebuild the farm to begin the post Sid era.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Just glancing over the Pens prospects following the draft, they sure do have a lot of LW.

Poulin, Hallander, Broz, Zohorna, DOC, Gruden, Bjorkqvist, Miletic. The first 3 have potential at C at least, but Bellerive is probably the most projectable C prospect in our system.

Zohorna has played way more C than LW, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad