Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Anyone gonna start a Pens top prospect poll for this summer?

Heres a quick ranking for me atm(minus Simon/ZAR who i consider graduated):

Sprong
Jarry
Bellerive
Hallander
Addison
Angello/Johnson/Bleuger
Bjorkvist
Militec/Almeida
Almari
Olund/Pavlychev
Lafferty/Tiffels
Lauzon/Phillips/Rielly

The top end got a nice beef up adding Bellerive, Hallander/Addison.
Middle also with Militec+Almeida.
2 of these guys weren't even drafted.
More than one way to fill up the cupboards. JR and PIT will always be in the NCAA FA market as well.

Last edited:

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
A tall, lanky center with an acute understanding of the game. A deceptively strong skater with good balance. Relies on using his size to shield the puck in the neutral zone and is usually the one to start plays in the offensive end. Defensively reliable; exhibits very well-rounded habits in his own end. All-in-all, an intelligent defensive player whose instincts at both ends of the ice will aid his maturation into a versatile, complete two-way forward.
Can you guess which prospect this is?
Hint: Nice hype right there!

Answer
We can safely assume he won't be making the big team.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR has to be in the keep the picks add to the picks now. Pens need to have talent and depth to keep it going in 2019 and on. Sprong is key here. If he is the real deal on offense and plays respectable defense, that is the RW with Horny and Rust who can play top 9. Kessel can be dealt with a good salary for picks and or prospects. I like the approach of drafting forwards that are good two way players and hopefully Lauzon is healthy and develops into a top 4 D man.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
GMJR has to be in the keep the picks add to the picks now. Pens need to have talent and depth to keep it going in 2019 and on. Sprong is key here. If he is the real deal on offense and plays respectable defense, that is the RW with Horny and Rust who can play top 9. Kessel can be dealt with a good salary for picks and or prospects. I like the approach of drafting forwards that are good two way players and hopefully Lauzon is healthy and develops into a top 4 D man.

You keep saying this but it's not going to happen. Rutherford will keep spending picks and prospects because that's what needed to keep the team's chances of winning as strong as possible. If he gets picks and prospects from a deal, there's a good chance picks and prospects will be out of the door within 6 months in another deal.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I sincerely doubt Kessel is traded for picks and prospects without turning those over to "win now" players. Trading to get Patches or Skinner would have been a good example of what you would hope.

That said, Sprong "could be" the next big thing...or he might not. I hope for the former.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I sincerely doubt Kessel is traded for picks and prospects without turning those over to "win now" players. Trading to get Patches or Skinner would have been a good example of what you would hope.
sadly that's true... but adding good young players that are cheep, so you can pay your stars is the best way to go. if you want it to last. imo

Last edited:

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
sadly that's true... but adding good young players that are cheep, so you can pay you stars is the best way to go. if you want it to last. imo
Believe me, I want the young stars. A part of me thinks, okay you're not going to win it all every year so why not take a year to move to the youth side. But I do understand the window thing... oh well.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017

That said, Sprong "could be" the next big thing...or he might not. I hope for the former.
The timing sure is right and i also hope he sprongs on this opportunity.
NHL has Sprong as a fantasy deep sleeper:
Daniel Sprong , RW, PIT -- The Pittsburgh Penguins right wing is poised for a full-time NHL role for the first time in his career. The 21-year-old had three points (two goals, one assist) in eight games last season but couldn't find a consistent spot in the lineup. The Penguins forward group will look different this season without Conor Sheary and Tom Kuhnhackl, who were key offseason departures. Sprong will likely start on the third line alongside center Derick Brassard but could easily work his way up to the top two lines, gaining exposure to either elite center Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. With the right usage, Sprong could be in the 40-50 point range this season.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sprong should be able to produce no matter what line he is on. Doesnt need to be in the top 6 like with alot of other teams in order to do so. With us having Brassard as 3C and Sheahan/Cullen on the 4th line. Cullen helped others during his time here and can see him doing the same again. Hes the playmaker we lacked last year in our bottom 6.

I want to see Sprong with Brassard and Rust on the 3rd line, but he can still produce with Cullen and Sheahan. Assuming how camp goes and Grant impresses enough to be LW on 3rd line.

Not high on Simon but he had his moments. ZAR should improve as well. We also have Blueger and others who are ready and almost there. Signing Cullen and Grant crowded things a bit but id rather have that problem than the lack of depth we had last year in the playoffs. And Cullen/Grant >>>> Kuhn/Rowney

Reactions: BladeRunner66

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

GMJR is never going to trade Kessel for picks and prospects. The Pens are in a win now mode and will be until Crosby and Malkin can no longer play at a top level. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this point? JR has done a great job of trading picks and prospects for players with term and in the age range of our core or younger which I believe is the best way to proceed. The key is getting fair value or better for the picks/prospects and I believe JR has on a whole gotten better than fair value to this date. I will take Kessel, Perron/Hagelin, Schultz, Sheahan, Brassard, and Oleksiak over the picks and prospects given up with half of the picks and prospects won't even be regular NHL's and none might be as good as the player traded for.

The Pens find a way to keep the prospects coming despite trading every 1st round pick over the last several years. The Pens have added two very nice prospects in this draft despite no 1st round pick and only 4 total picks. I really like the Pens top 5 prospects and as long as the Pens find guys like ZAR, Bellerive, and others for nothing they can continue trading picks and prospects for NHL players now. The Pens actually have had plenty of prospects help the team despite this method (Murray, Jarry, and DeSmith for goalies. Forwards Guentzel, Rust, Sheary, ZAR, Simon, Defense Maatta, Dumoulin). All of these players developed while trading away almost all our high picks during the past 10 years and also several prospects traded. I think Sprong, Jarry, Hallander, Bellerive, and Addison will keep this going with additions added each year to help the big club.

Would be hard to argue many teams if any have done a better job of using the draft assets than the Pens. We have 3 Cups and 4 finals appearances over the past 10 years and have the most playoff wins by far during that time. You can't do that if you don't put out a good surrounding cast around your core.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Been away for a few days so i dont know if its been posted.
But Bellerive is out from the summer showcase due to injury :-(

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Believe me, I want the young stars. A part of me thinks, okay you're not going to win it all every year so why not take a year to move to the youth side. But I do understand the window thing... oh well.
yep! 1 step back … 3 steps forward. you have to trust your scouts, and they have shown that we should. if they can find gems in the lower rounds just think what they could do in the first. any picks we trade should be used to move up to get players that can be here for the next ten yr.'s. instead of looking for one yr. patches. or losing players for nothing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->