Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Can you guys give me some insight into a couple of Pens players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Zach Aston-Reese
Casey Desmith

ZAR settled in nicely after his first 3-4-5 games or so then i believe he got injured in season that sorta derailed his momentum.
He checks hard. Willing to battle/go to the net front.
He probably settles in to a bottom 6 checker.
Things he needs are a touch more speed/explosiveness and quicker decisions with the puck on his blade.

Casey's a competitor, good positioning and scramble ability. Good glove. On the smaller side but tops out as an NHL backup/Budaj type.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What's the scoop on Almari? I believe he has one year left on his HPK contact, but hasn't been signed to his ELC yet.

All i know is some peeps were impressed with his play in WilkesBarre's PO game this year. So they could be trying...?

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
According to Lethbridge Hurricanes twitter feed Pens top prospect Bellerive possibly injured in some incident with a teammate and alumnus.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
According to Lethbridge Hurricanes twitter feed Pens top prospect Bellerive possibly injured in some incident with a teammate and alumnus.
First off, I hope everyone is ok.

Second, ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME?! The bizarre injury curse continues.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That's not what I'm concerned about, I'm concerned about him not dying. This sounds pretty serious, so I'm really not going to worry about how weird the Penguins injury issues have been.
That goes without saying, hence the first part of my post.

It's tough not to think about the illnesses and accidents that have plagued the franchise. Commenting on it doesn't take away from our concern for them on a human level.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

That's not what I'm concerned about, I'm concerned about him not dying. This sounds pretty serious, so I'm really not going to worry about how weird the Penguins injury issues have been.

That goes without saying, hence the first part of my post.

It's tough not to think about the illnesses and accidents that have plagued the franchise. Commenting on it doesn't take away from our concern for them on a human level.

What was the incident?

There's a thread here with a link to an article with more details.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah that whole thing was odd. I assumed it was a paper transaction having something to do with roster size limits and we’d be giving him back to Vegas or just not qualifying him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Gogolev in particular interests me. Decent size, good skater, a really wicked shot. He's been in NA a while, too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Penguins to Host Prospect Development Camp from June 27-29

Didn't realise it happen so soon after the draft. Bellerive, Miletic and D'Orio were all invited last year so hopefully a few guys we invite will get signed this year.

While it would be nice to get a few free 'undrafted' prospects, particularly when we only picked 4 times, I'd be looking closer at college FAs - there's a few gaps in WBS that could be close to the action.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Invites for the rookie camp are starting to be known.
Apparently we have invited a goalie named Christian Propp. Taken from the rookie camp invites thread from the prospect board.

Christian Propp at eliteprospects.com
I was surprised that we didn't take a G in the draft. I think we'll be looking hard at the G's invited.

When they say "2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #27 by NHL Central Scouting" do they mean overall or among goalies?

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Invites for the rookie camp are starting to be known.
Apparently we have invited a goalie named Christian Propp. Taken from the rookie camp invites thread from the prospect board.

Christian Propp at eliteprospects.com

Another goaltender invited.

Tristan Cote-Cazenave hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

I was surprised that we didn't take a G in the draft. I think we'll be looking hard at the G's invited.

When they say "2017 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #27 by NHL Central Scouting" do they mean overall or among goalies?

Yep only among goalies.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's good. Imagine the warts he would have to have to have to go from 27th OA to undrafted. :laugh:

Only 21 goaltenders were taken that year and only 18 the year before - not that unusual I'm guessing for 27th best goaltender to go undrafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad