Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Connor Hall, decent size at 6'3". Took a butt load of PIMs for 47 games last year. Maybe a bit slow perhaps?

I've seen a lot of differing reports as to his skating. Seen some say its pretty decent. A guy here watching our last prospect camp commented on how much he was bombing up the wing. The PIMs are probably more a reflection of a tendency to drop the gloves/hit hard than anything else.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I've seen a lot of differing reports as to his skating. Seen some say its pretty decent. A guy here watching our last prospect camp commented on how much he was bombing up the wing. The PIMs are probably more a reflection of a tendency to drop the gloves/hit hard than anything else.
Well, I have to say I like him then. I mean we have zero mean streak on the team so if he can actually play D sounds like a winner. Now I am kind of surprised they haven't signed him...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well, I have to say I like him then. I mean we have zero mean streak on the team so if he can actually play D sounds like a winner. Now I am kind of surprised they haven't signed him...

Because he keeps getting injured and there's questions over whether he moves the puck well enough to be part of our system.

Also, maybe they expected his skating to improve but it didn't.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Because he keeps getting injured and there's questions over whether he moves the puck well enough to be part of our system.

Also, maybe they expected his skating to improve but it didn't.
Oh, yeah if his passing isn't good that won't work out too well in this system. Well, maybe there's some other D men out there that might fit the bill better.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh, yeah if his passing isn't good that won't work out too well in this system. Well, maybe there's some other D men out there that might fit the bill better.

That'd be nice. I liked the idea of looking to get some mean defensively strong dmen in the draft, but so far it looks like they whiffed, albeit with nasty injury luck. It'd be nice if they could somehow rescue the situation.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Would love to get that Noah Dobson kid somehow. He's gonna be anywhere from a great all around D-Man to Mike Green in his prime.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Because his ability with the puck hasn't developed to the point where you think you have a potential NHL player.

Being physical and being a decent skater only takes you so far. Even the worst defensemen in the NHL have some ability to move/pass the puck.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Because his ability with the puck hasn't developed to the point where you think you have a potential NHL player.

Being physical and being a decent skater only takes you so far. Even the worst defensemen in the NHL have some ability to move/pass the puck.

And he ended his season with another shoulder surgery. Maybe Bengtsson and Pedan leaving gets him an AHL deal.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hall and Lauzon were both a total waste of draft picks. Lauzon can still improve, but I'm not holding my breath.

My issue with the picks have more to do with how they seem to go for guys who are "safe" picks. I don't know, but I'd rather they just kept sticking with guys who have high upside (ie. I liked the Sprong pick for this very reason).

What's the absolute best you could have even hoped for with Hall? Robert Bortuzzo? Deryk Engelland? Swing for the fences. You may miss a lot, but when you hit, it's usually a hit out of the park.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
My issue with the picks have more to do with how they seem to go for guys who are "safe" picks. I don't know, but I'd rather they just kept sticking with guys who have high upside (ie. I liked the Sprong pick for this very reason).

What's the absolute best you could have even hoped for with Hall? Robert Bortuzzo? Deryk Engelland? Swing for the fences. You may miss a lot, but when you hit, it's usually a hit out of the park.
Exactly how I feel. I wanted Josh Brook instead of Lauzon. Lauzon is probably better defensively, but if you can't produce in the Q odds are you'll never make it.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Would love to get that Noah Dobson kid somehow. He's gonna be anywhere from a great all around D-Man to Mike Green in his prime.

Also a big fan of Dobson. Bathurst comes to town 4 times a year, so saw a lot of him in person. Covers a lot of ice, similar to a lot of the great two way defencemen. He can be up in the play leading the rush, and has the skating ability to reel in the rush the other way if he gets caught up ice. I'd compare him more to Dougie Hamilton than to Mike Green (not quite as tall as Hamilton, but he seems it because he is a bit lanky). In any event, guy has all the tools to be a great one if he can bring it all together. If not, should still be a good NHLer.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Definitely. Outside of the 1st round I'd just pick most skilled player available.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hall and Lauzon were both a total waste of draft picks. Lauzon can still improve, but I'm not holding my breath.

And apparently Lauzon was their first round choice. I hope thats not true and just something that was put out there defending the trade. Because if true they need better scouting.

Good news is they do a good job drafting in the 3rd and 5th rounds

Last edited:

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Connor Hall, decent size at 6'3". Took a butt load of PIMs for 47 games last year. Maybe a bit slow perhaps?

As a couple other posters have mentioned, he's more than just a bit slow. Didn't see anything in him other than size that would make him an NHL prospect at this point. Don't even think he's worth rolling the dice on with an ELC in a talent starved system.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->