Pittsburgh Penguins presents new white Diagonal reverse retro 4th jersey

How do you rate the new jersey?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Id wear a signed adams one and take mock fight selfies with anyone wearing a Malkin jersey at games
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Okay that’s some serious dedication there

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The whole retro jersey campaign is a terrible campaign. Shows how desperate the league is to generate revenues.

You can easily see that teams like the Pens and Wings did not take it seriously.

Some great jerseys came out of it, but most are meh or terrible. Ours will probably look fine on ice, but I would not buy one. As many have said, we already have perfect jerseys, we do not need more gimmicks. I'd buy three other home/away jerseys before even considering one of these retro things.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
@Scandale du Jour I think it's kinda weird that all of the jerseys are trying to go for the same era of retro. I'd like to see a bit more freedom for clubs to celebrate eras that have some sort of great historical significance to the club, moreso than just "Hey, let's do a 90s throwback this year! The kids like the 90s, right?"

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
@Scandale du Jour I think it's kinda weird that all of the jerseys are trying to go for the same era of retro. I'd like to see a bit more freedom for clubs to celebrate eras that have some sort of great historical significance to the club, moreso than just "Hey, let's do a 90s throwback this year! The kids like the 90s, right?"

As I said, it is mostly just a gimmick to generate revenues in these tough times. The NHL never did that before. Third jerseys, yeah. But a coordinated marketing campaign in which EVERY team introduced a 3rd (or 4th or 100th) jersey? So artificial.

I mean, I hate that the Avs are using the Nordiques logo, but it at least makes sense. It is their 25th anniversary and they never used the IP and there is a demand for Nordiques gear, so might as well capitalize on it. No one asked for a new Pens jersey. The fan base already loves the ones we have and I am pretty sure sales are pretty good.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As I said, it is mostly just a gimmick to generate revenues in these tough times. The NHL never did that before. Third jerseys, yeah. But a coordinated marketing campaign in which EVERY team introduced a 3rd (or 4th or 100th) jersey? So artificial.

I'm sure that's part of it, but typically these things are in the works for a lot longer than the timeline here.

If anything I think this is just the NHL borrowing a page of the NBA's homework...and just like most NBA 4th jerseys, the majority of these are lousy (with a few really great standouts).

And I agree that the downside of league-wide projects like this are when a fanbase doesn't even want a new jersey. There's no alternate jersey we could introduce that would be better than our normal set, so it's a huge why bother situation for us...but on the flip side, good lord does a team like the Kings need some damn color in their set.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There was no requirement that the jerseys had to be based off 1990’s jerseys. But as you see on this board, people are usually obsessed with 1990’s jerseys, even if the jerseys were terrible back then.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Also:

“Each jersey was inspired by one worn by the team during a season with some historical significance; the entire design process took about two years. Teams will wear the jerseys multiple times this season, including designated rivalry games.”
NHL Reverse Retro jerseys: Grades for all 31 new alternates

This was in the works before Corona; this isn’t some half ass effort by the league to generate income due to COVID. Shame on the wings and islanders for not even trying. Don’t hate on the league if you don’t like the jerseys, hate the teams that mailed it in.

The problem is that the Pens have been involved with so many outdoor games, recently had blue jerseys and just introduced a yellow third jersey. They are probably running out of ideas at this point. They have had to create 5 stadium/winter classic jerseys over the last 12 years, and changed their primary jerseys during that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Also:

“Each jersey was inspired by one worn by the team during a season with some historical significance; the entire design process took about two years. Teams will wear the jerseys multiple times this season, including designated rivalry games.”
NHL Reverse Retro jerseys: Grades for all 31 new alternates

This was in the works before Corona; this isn’t some half ass effort by the league to generate income due to COVID. Shame on the wings and islanders for not even trying. Don’t hate on the league if you don’t like the jerseys, hate the teams that mailed it in.

The problem is that the Pens have been involved with so many outdoor games, recently had blue jerseys and just introduced a yellow third jersey. They are probably running out of ideas at this point. They have had to create 5 stadium/winter classic jerseys over the last 12 years, and changed their primary jerseys during that time.

Id fire the design group that took two years for this shit and hope they were blacklisted from the entire industry

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Id fire the design group that took two years for this shit and hope they were blacklisted from the entire industry
Mehhh who knows what the teams told the design people. Do you think Lou Lamarello said have fun with it? Do you think the consultants that worked with Detroit were pleased with the finished product? We don’t know we teams told the designers. Maybe the Pens didn’t want to use Robo Penguin.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Eh, may as well quote what I wrote on the main board since it got buried there already.

I finally had a chance to quickly scan all of the reverse retro jerseys. I was meh or liked most. Those that stuck out as bad to me were Yotes, Rags (just never liked that Statue of Liberty logo), Blues, Caps. I love that Kings purple. That's definitely at the top of the list.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No way. It takes two years to design this stuff.

You can't just go on Reddit for five minutes and find a million better ideas!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->