Pittsburgh Penguins have little to show from 2008 draft

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Looks like he's playing for Yuzhny Ural Orsk in the VHL. Seems to be bouncing around Russian leagues.
http://www.eurohockey.com/player/114373-alexander-pechursky.html

VHL is like the AHL to the KHL (so many acronyms). MHL is the junior league, I believe. He remains property of Metallurg in the KHL just like the Pens own his rights for the NHL (I believe). His problem was he didn't get off to a great start in the WHL and was taking up an overage and an import spot, so Tri-City moved him. Wound up playing for Mississippi in the Central Hockey League. He took a job as what I think is the #3 goalie in the Metallurg system, so we likely won't see him on American shores again.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
do you think managements made any effort to sign him, or theyre just gonna let him go.

Probably made a token effort, but I doubt there was a strong push. At the time, Thiessen looked like a legit prospect, Curry was in the system and Killeen looked decent. Pechursky played well in the one NHL game, but he wasn't really stellar at any other point. I'll be surprised if he becomes a full time KHL goalie.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
I'm still unclear as to what happened with Pechurskiy. He seemed to have played well (enough) in the WHL. Why did he never transition into playing for the Pens organization other than his 1 NHL game against Vancouver? If anyone followed him closely over the years I would appreciate their input.

Trying to remember what exactly happened to him.

IIRC, he was cut from his WHL team since they could only carry so many overage players. He ended up signing for a CHL team before getting recalled by the WBS Penguins. Never played, so they sent him back and he finished the season with the CHL team.

99% sure he's no longer Penguins property.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Trying to remember what exactly happened to him.

IIRC, he was cut from his WHL team since they could only carry so many overage players. He ended up signing for a CHL team before getting recalled by the WBS Penguins. Never played, so they sent him back and he finished the season with the CHL team.

99% sure he's no longer Penguins property.

He's still listed on the Pens site as being in the system, so I assume they still have the rights to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad