Pittsburgh Penguins aim at Ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Pittsburgh Penguins sent Kovalev to NY rangers last year and 9 other players during the season... en route to get the first overall pick, Fleury, the top ranked goalie.

This season they already traded Straka, their scoring leader, a couple a days ago. Mario Lemieux and his team don't have enough money to pay Straka but they do have big bucks to pay Fleury.

They clearly have an eye on Ovechkin. I mean, they are in a process to rebuild the team. They just repeat what made other team previuously, as Quebec Nordiques. And that is fine.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
They're positionning themselves to get Alex Ovechkin and in the Straka trade they got Sergei Anshakov who is a sniper like Ovechkin :handclap:

Ovechkin:Great strength in all aspects of the game. Reads the play well. Good anticipation. Plays well in both ends of the ice. Excellent Skater. Strong on his skates. Natural goal scorer. Unbelievable Quick wrist shot. Plays with a great amount of grit and determination. Ovechkin is a big, fancy goal scorer and a fancy skater with spectacular stickhandling skills. Good playmaker. He makes defenses get that deer in the headlights look everytime he touches the puck". :bow:

Anshakov: He is a powerful skater with large strides. Anshakov is also an excellent stick handler with above average puck handing ability. He has a very good shot –- well aimed with good power. His vision of the ice has also been spotty. Anshakov does appear to have the ability to listen to the team’s ultimate authority – the coach. Anshakov has developed very well over the past two years. It is safe to say that he one of the most improved prospects from the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. However, his rise into the spotlight did not come overnight – he has simply been hidden away in the depths of Dynamo Moscow’s farm system.

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The Pens are positioning themselves, in part, to pluck whatever fruit the next drafts bear. If that happens to be Ovechkin and/or Crosby, so be it.

The Pens, as I understand, have over a 70% chance to snag at least one of the two, assuming that they finish last both years.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
and the Pens suck and their management are morons and they will in Portland by weeks end;)

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
paul99 said:
Pittsburgh Penguins sent Kovalev to NY rangers last year and 9 other players during the season... en route to get the first overall pick, Fleury, the top ranked goalie.

This season they already traded Straka, their scoring leader, a couple a days ago. Mario Lemieux and his team don't have enough money to pay Straka but they do have big bucks to pay Fleury.

They clearly have an eye on Ovechkin. I mean, they are in a process to rebuild the team. They just repeat what made other team previuously, as Quebec Nordiques. And that is fine.

What you seem to fail to realize is this does not guarentee Ovechkin....they seemed to be in lottery contention with or without Straka......this move was a salary dump (a really ugly salary dump but one regardless)....and though I am a huge fan of Straka, his play left a bit to be desired this season....

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
paul99 said:

As mentioned in the thread above, setting yourself up just to be dissapointed in the lottery is not exactly smart.

What they are doing has less to do with draft position and more to do with plain old business survival.

No point in positioning yourself to draft high if the team isn't around in a year or two. When Lemieux turns down a raise and your rookie goalie is talking about deferring some salary and bonuses, that aint draft positioning, that's called throwing out the life raft in the hopes the team stays afloat.

SedinFan*

phantompenguin said:
Yeah, I mean a rebuilding team with the lowest salary is looking towards drafting a great player.

:dunno:

Of course they're eying Ovechkin

I honestly hope they fold. This is as bad as it gets. Soon Lemieux will have to trade himself for a late round draft pick.

Boooo

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Ovechkin is a right winger right? That would be great if the Pens could get because they are weak on the right side prospect wise. I'll be happy with whoever the Pens get though in what seems like a top heavy draft.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
paul99 said:

The Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche.

Is that fine too?

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Vlad The Impaler said:
The Quebec Nordiques became the Colorado Avalanche.

Is that fine too?

That was fine for the owner Aubut who put plenty of bucks in his pockets. And that would be fine for Lemieux too.

And to Rowdower who wrote: "What you seem to fail to realize is this does not guarentee Ovechkin....they seemed to be in lottery contention with or without Straka......this move was a salary dump "

I didn't fail. The closer you are from the bottom, the more you have chance to win the lottery. It is well known. And it is better to get the second one than, say the 15th.

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, but its too bad, because Ovechkin is all but a hawk with all the injuries we have.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
paul99 said:
That was fine for the owner Aubut who put plenty of bucks in his pockets. And that would be fine for Lemieux too.

And to Rowdower who wrote: "What you seem to fail to realize is this does not guarentee Ovechkin....they seemed to be in lottery contention with or without Straka......this move was a salary dump "

I didn't fail. The closer you are from the bottom, the more you have chance to win the lottery. It is well known. And it is better to get the second one than, say the 15th.

Ok, and I am saying Pitts was headed there with or without Straka, especially with Mario's nagging hip....I honestly don't think his departure will have to great an effect on the team...hell they won last night in their first game since the trade, scoring four goals (more goals than they have gotten in a game for quite awhile)....

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
The Penguins were on route to a high draft pick last year before they traded Kovalev, as they were on the fast track to a high pick before they traded Straka.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->