OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
DK disclosed that the Trib was paying him just north of 6 figs before he cut ties and started the DKPS Empire.

6 figs is nothing these days with skyrocketing inflation and COL. Hell a bunch of kids fresh out of college are either close to or just about making that much already. Got a younger cousin who’s 24 and making $120k as a pharmacist. Stupid money for being that age.

Pharmacists are not in competition with randoms on reddit legally filling prescriptions for free--and outnumbered by them 10 thousand to 1.

Pharmacist is a highly technical profession with a high barriers to entry (licensing, educational) offering a service required by an ever growing number of people. This is a profession in which leverage is heavily skewed towards labor.

Newspaper journalist is the complete opposite of all that. Kovacevic's background is in, what, A/R clerk or something? James Mirtle became a beat writer for the Leafs by knocking off college classes to sit in his dorm and write an online diary. And the number of people reading a newspaper shrinks every single day, while the number of people willing to chime in for free grows.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Most senior editors you read online are easily making six figures. Doesn’t matter where they live as long as it’s a city. The amount you get paid has nothing to do with how challenging your degree was. It’s supply and demand like everything else. Personalities people resonate with are in short supply and those people get paid. Mark Madden isn’t rich because of his degree. He probably doesn’t even have one.

All of this is wrong, except the bolded.

"How challenging your degree was" goes directly towards labor supply. When it's something like Pharmacology or Engineering, which are difficult, the supply constricts as the difficulty selects for more disciplined, smarter people--who are statistically rarer. Licensing constricts the labor supply farther still. Capital has to offer robust compensation packages to attract anybody to these professions at all. Without paying $120k out of the gate, even in an area with low cost of living, no student would study Pharmacology.

When it's something like a degree in journalism, where it's easy enough that you can be semi-literate and still achieve a BA under certain circumstances, the supply bloats, reducing compensation. Worse for leverage, a BA isn't a hard barrier to entry. Justin Bourne became a journalist by way of submitting opinion pieces to a tabloid blog when he was on IR for an ECHL hockey club. James Mirtle was writing diary entries in his dorm room. As media outlet after media outlet dies due to broken business models and inability to compete with randoms on youtube (which requires no degree at all), demand is likewise reduced.

"Most senior editors you read online" might very well be making six figures, but there are fewer and fewer of them every day, and those which remain are increasingly consolidated in 4 cities, globally (New York, Washington, London, Los Angeles). Senior editors outside of the Anglosphere almost never make anywhere near six figures. If you're under the impression that a Senior editor at a French-language regional in Brittany is making $100k US (to say nothing of an editor in Prague), I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
All of this is wrong, except the bolded.

"How challenging your degree was" goes directly towards labor supply. When it's something like Pharmacology or Engineering, which are difficult, the supply constricts as the difficulty selects for more disciplined, smarter people--who are statistically rarer. Licensing constricts the labor supply farther still. Capital has to offer robust compensation packages to attract anybody to these professions at all. Without paying $120k out of the gate, even in an area with low cost of living, no student would study Pharmacology.

When it's something like a degree in journalism, where it's easy enough that you can be semi-literate and still achieve a BA under certain circumstances, the supply bloats, reducing compensation. Worse for leverage, a BA isn't a hard barrier to entry. Justin Bourne became a journalist by way of submitting opinion pieces to a tabloid blog when he was on IR for an ECHL hockey club. James Mirtle was writing diary entries in his dorm room. As media outlet after media outlet dies due to broken business models and inability to compete with randoms on youtube (which requires no degree at all), demand is likewise reduced.

"Most senior editors you read online" might very well be making six figures, but there are fewer and fewer of them every day, and those which remain are increasingly consolidated in 4 cities, globally (New York, Washington, London, Los Angeles). Senior editors outside of the Anglosphere almost never make anywhere near six figures. If you're under the impression that a Senior editor at a French-language regional in Brittany is making $100k US (to say nothing of an editor in Prague), I don't know what to tell you.
unrelated but engineering entry level in PGH region (and most of the country) is more like $40K-$60K tops.

Reactions: billybudd

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
FWIW, wasn't arguing the merits of a pharmacy degree vs. a journalism degree.

Idk, Madden always brags on his radio show about how rich he is. That obviously means it's true :sarcasm:
Madden has a contact in which, while it's hard to tell exactly what he's paid, it's probably somewhere in the arena of $150k-250k a year. I believe he said he made either $2k or $3k a week for his wrestling gig... in the early 2000's. $3k in the year 2000 is like $4.3k today.

For literally 3 hours of radio per day. 15 hours per week. Not to mention all the times he's on vacation in Vegas or something. Dude will try to argue about how much work he puts in prep work for his show, but how hard can that really be? To type up notes/questions for interviewees for a friggin' 3 hour show... maybe that's an extra hour or two? And it's while he's watching sports, anyway. And it's not like his takes and articles he throws together and gets paid extra for are real hard hitting, well-researched pieces like some of the folks out there who earn a fraction of what he earns.

He has to have just silly money saved up given the way he lives too, basically no family members or partners (well... not factoring in whatever he pays certain... partners, if you catch my drift).

I wouldn't be shocked if when he passes there's a ~$500k-$1M+ gift to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
unrelated but engineering entry level in PGH region (and most of the country) is more like $40K-$60K tops.
"most of the country" & "tops" - WRONG.

Depends on the field of engineering. Even the lower paying ones like civil are more like $60-70k on average, while chemical, petroleum, software? Silly money. But an engineering degree is way harder than journalism.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
"most of the country" & "tops" - WRONG.

Depends on the field of engineering. Even the lower paying ones like civil are more like $60-70k on average, while chemical, petroleum, software? Silly money. But an engineering degree is way harder than journalism.
not talking software or petroluem...other industries absolutely true. $60-$80K are the guys who obtained their Professional License (5-7 years of experience) now, considering that this is the really good time for engineers, to beat that you have to jump from job to job to get the raise (10K-20K or similar). you need appx 8-10 years to hit $100K

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Only if you're working at my company, at least in our industry. Our competitors have been "poaching" a lot of our prospects and newer employees with considerably more.
this is true, obviously we know that...so you need to change the jobs to look for a significant bump...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Probably depends on the type of engineering. My college roommate started at something like $90k out of college in the mid 2000s. Think it was EE, but might have been something else. I don't think he had to move, but I'm positive he ended up having to travel half the year.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Probably depends on the type of engineering. My college roommate started at something like $90k out of college in the mid 2000s. Think it was EE, but might have been something else. I don't think he had to move, but I'm positive he ended up having to travel half the year.
good for him...it took me ten years and the job change to get there

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

I mean you throw out a blanket statement like that then just ignore it, 40k-60k tops? Unless we're talking about engineering tech/technology. The technology degrees are much easier an thus pay is in the range you're talking about.

I guess this is way off topic...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As an associate engineer in the Pittsburgh area, the claim that most engineers start at "$40k-$60k" is total BS. Even if you want to put a blanket price over engineering, that's way lower than what the actual average is. My company in Pittsburgh makes their pay scale based on the average pays of similar companies for mostly mechanical, electrical, nuclear and chemical engineers. The median of the associate pay scale is well over that range. If you're getting as low as $40k, you're getting ripped off :laugh:

The only engineering fields that result in you getting that range in Pittsburgh are industrial engineering, environmental engineering and maybe civil engineering.

Edit: should probably be more vague to prevent any potential issues

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Madden has a contact in which, while it's hard to tell exactly what he's paid, it's probably somewhere in the arena of $150k-250k a year. I believe he said he made either $2k or $3k a week for his wrestling gig... in the early 2000's. $3k in the year 2000 is like $4.3k today.

For literally 3 hours of radio per day. 15 hours per week. Not to mention all the times he's on vacation in Vegas or something. Dude will try to argue about how much work he puts in prep work for his show, but how hard can that really be? To type up notes/questions for interviewees for a friggin' 3 hour show... maybe that's an extra hour or two? And it's while he's watching sports, anyway. And it's not like his takes and articles he throws together and gets paid extra for are real hard hitting, well-researched pieces like some of the folks out there who earn a fraction of what he earns.

He has to have just silly money saved up given the way he lives too, basically no family members or partners (well... not factoring in whatever he pays certain... partners, if you catch my drift).

I wouldn't be shocked if when he passes there's a ~$500k-$1M+ gift to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.

I haven't listened to Madden in years but regardless, I think you grossly underestimate what it takes to basically grab a mic and be entertaining for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Try to talk about about literally anything for 2+ hours just once, without running out of interesting/entertaining things to say. I'm not saying it's backbreaking work, but it isn't easy.

Look no further than The Fan for evidence of what I mean. Those guys are regularly dying on air for entire segments at a time, because they're just not that good at it.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I haven't listened to Madden in years but regardless, I think you grossly underestimate what it takes to basically grab a mic and be entertaining for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Try to talk about about literally anything for 2+ hours just once, without running out of interesting/entertaining things to say. I'm not saying it's backbreaking work, but it isn't easy.

Look no further than The Fan for evidence of what I mean. Those guys are regularly dying on air for entire segments at a time, because they're just not that good at it.
Maybe I do underestimate the prep time. I just think Madden is a natural at it, but maybe more does go on behind the scenes than I think.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Don't worry, I know what company you work for Emp. ;)

Thank god I'm in oil and gas. Even though I'm selling my soul.

I don't think that's the problem, it's people knowing my company plus me telling information on the pay scale and how they calculate it :laugh:

I think that may be considered "Controlled-Sensitive" data, and seeing how confidentiality is massive here, I don't think that would go over too well.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

not talking software or petroluem...other industries absolutely true. $60-$80K are the guys who obtained their Professional License (5-7 years of experience) now, considering that this is the really good time for engineers, to beat that you have to jump from job to job to get the raise (10K-20K or similar). you need appx 8-10 years to hit $100K

At least you corrected yourself with regards to software engineers!
Back in '99, I was seriously underpaid when I got that range from a startup fresh out of college, but by the end of my first year working, I was already well beyond that range. Considering that was 19 years ago now, and what I've heard when we try to recruit entry-level engineers these days, an offer that low wouldn't cut it at all.

I mean you throw out a blanket statement like that then just ignore it, 40k-60k tops? Unless we're talking about engineering tech/technology. The technology degrees are much easier an thus pay is in the range you're talking about.

As a software engineer, this statement simply makes me laugh :laugh:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
At least you corrected yourself with regards to software engineers!
Back in '99, I was seriously underpaid when I got that range from a startup fresh out of college, but by the end of my first year working, I was already well beyond that range. Considering that was 19 years ago now, and what I've heard when we try to recruit entry-level engineers these days, an offer that low wouldn't cut it at all.

As a software engineer, this statement simply makes me laugh :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->