OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Maybe Rob got his Shero obsession out of his system.

I wanted to sign up for Jesse's stuff but I'm not paying actual money for stuff from Yohe, Seth, etc. Get a better staff.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

I wanted to sign up for Jesse's stuff but I'm not paying actual money for stuff from Yohe, Seth, etc. Get a better staff.
The thing that I think draws a lot of people in is that you get access to every sport, every city, in addition to national coverage from big time national writers.

And I understand yourself and a bunch of others probably don’t care about this, but lots do.

Still: I find it ridiculous they keep hiring and hiring at what’s rumored to be very generous salaries (6 figure Yohe). Curious as to how this model remains sustainable. Curious as to their cash flows look. Dat seed money can’t last forever.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The thing that I think draws a lot of people in is that you get access to every sport, every city, in addition to national coverage from big time national writers.

And I understand yourself and a bunch of others probably don’t care about this, but lots do.

Still: I find it ridiculous they keep hiring and hiring at what’s rumored to be very generous salaries (6 figure Yohe). Curious as to how this model remains sustainable. Curious as to their cash flows look. Dat seed money can’t last forever.
Understandable.

Seems to me that they're at war. They're dumping everything into grabbing as much talent and market share as possible. They're betting that they can defeat DK and others before they run out of money. When they've won (however they define victory) I wouldn't be surprised to see layoffs/salary renegotiations.

Or maybe not. :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rob Rossi not writing sports is a good thing. I don't care if he writes misinformed articles about art, wine, and other shit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Rob, you don’t have to pretend anymore.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
So looking into this Rob ... oh, sorry, Robert Rossi hire a bit more, I scanned his Twitter timeline back to around September 29. I saw no announcement by him saying he was joining The Athletic, which is odd as pretty much everyone else did when they were hired. The only mention I saw was a picture of him and Yohe from today where he said the band was back together. I also looked at The Athletic PGH Twitter to around the same time and again, no announcement.

*puts on tinfoil hat* I think they know how much Rossi is disliked by fans/readers, so they kept this as quiet as possible. And then they go and use his full name...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So looking into this Rob ... oh, sorry, Robert Rossi hire a bit more, I scanned his Twitter timeline back to around September 29. I saw no announcement by him saying he was joining The Athletic, which is odd as pretty much everyone else did when they were hired. The only mention I saw was a picture of him and Yohe from today where he said the band was back together. I also looked at The Athletic PGH Twitter to around the same time and again, no announcement.

*puts on tinfoil hat* I think they know how much Rossi is disliked by fans/readers, so they kept this as quiet as possible. And then they go and use his full name...

More reasons why I will never give The Athletic my money.

This horse shit.

Robert Rossi
Rob Rossi is a Senior Writer for The Athletic. He is an award-winning reporter and columnist with two decades of experience in the Pittsburgh market.
Robert Rossi - The Athletic

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Here’s a screenshot of Seth Rorabaugh’s comment about the hire. So we get to see him write about all the sports. :eyeroll:

Attachments

• C226D754-F1A4-4503-9530-0390500257E9.png
    C226D754-F1A4-4503-9530-0390500257E9.png
    739.4 KB · Views: 62

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

They have a few real good out of market guys. Notably Aaron Portzline and the guy from Minnesota who's name slipped my mind just now. Portzline just wrote an incredible article about Lyle Odelein being stabbed by a cactus. Not kidding. The article is mindblowing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

"The model" is there's no overhead beyond salary and a global customer base. I doubt anyone other than the initial "foot in the door of the market" (Yohe, Portzline) or "name guy" (that national Baseball guy from New York) hires are six figure.

Bit of advice: when a company hires you, it's not wise to trash their funding using a barely concealed alias on a message board.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Can’t you just go write about sex and social justice with your colleagues at City Paper? I know there’s exactly zero dollars in that, but if you’re so concerned about moral justice in society step one is to remove people like Rossi from actual journalism, even if it’s about sports.

Like how do you make Sidney Crosby the person dislike you?

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Funny to see this username still gets people worked up :laugh: anyway - back to writing. “Enterprise” writing!

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
They have a few real good out of market guys. Notably Aaron Portzline and the guy from Minnesota who's name slipped my mind just now. Portzline just wrote an incredible article about Lyle Odelein being stabbed by a cactus. Not kidding. The article is mindblowing.
Wait, is that what put LO on his death bed?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so almost put this in the off day but on the post's site: 20 Penguins Thoughts: Matt Murray, Marc-Andre Fleury and the pursuit of perfection

We’re talking about a kid who has, for several months, so badly wanted to atone for what he did (or really didn’t do) last season that he’s twisting himself in knots. I can see it in practice. I can see it in games.
Murray didn’t suddenly forget how to do his job. He’s pressing, trying to get 40 wins by November.

So a lot of this makes sense, murray (like most goalies) really feel like it's all their fault (even when it isn't) when their team loses. The article is a good read, and the other thing that stands out to me is that Fleury really blossom'd last season by doing LESS in practice. Whereas Murray is pressing really hard in practice apparently. I think he might benefit (once he gets healthy) from doing less, focus on the process and doing/moving the right way calm down and realize shit happens and he'll be ok.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
so almost put this in the off day but on the post's site: 20 Penguins Thoughts: Matt Murray, Marc-Andre Fleury and the pursuit of perfection

So a lot of this makes sense, murray (like most goalies) really feel like it's all their fault (even when it isn't) when their team loses. The article is a good read, and the other thing that stands out to me is that Fleury really blossom'd last season by doing LESS in practice. Whereas Murray is pressing really hard in practice apparently. I think he might benefit (once he gets healthy) from doing less, focus on the process and doing/moving the right way calm down and realize **** happens and he'll be ok.

saveusjoebiden

Oct 10, 2018
"The model" is there's no overhead beyond salary and a global customer base. I doubt anyone other than the initial "foot in the door of the market" (Yohe, Portzline) or "name guy" (that national Baseball guy from New York) hires are six figure.

Bit of advice: when a company hires you, it's not wise to trash their funding using a barely concealed alias on a message board.

Is that really him? There's no way is there? Lol.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

So a lot of this makes sense, murray (like most goalies) really feel like it's all their fault (even when it isn't) when their team loses. The article is a good read, and the other thing that stands out to me is that Fleury really blossom'd last season by doing LESS in practice. Whereas Murray is pressing really hard in practice apparently. I think he might benefit (once he gets healthy) from doing less, focus on the process and doing/moving the right way calm down and realize **** happens and he'll be ok.
You can see it in his game. It's the completely opposite of the kind of play he was known for when he first broke into the league. Murray's fighting, and badly, every single shot he faces now. He's over committing, he's not playing that calm, collected, fundamentally perfect goalie style he used to.

I'm not really worried about his ability as a goalie. I'm absolutely worried about his ability to stay healthy though. Dude's got the durability of Beau Bennett.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't like some of his takes but Kingerski does alot of live Pens chats on YT where you can ask him questions/give opinions which have been fun so far:

Pittsburgh Sports Live
this is my first subscription to any of the sports sites (and probably the last) i am thirsty for any hockey news (especially Pens) but to pay to find out what Yohe writes is a joke... (I'd pay for jesse's effort but the fact that they have Yohe as a beat turns me off) The only reason I paid for kingerski's site is I can't forget two years ago, he was just a lonely blogger and he took a trip to Detroit on christmas eve to report from the game (he was the only media member there) so I felt compelled to support his enterprise, although his coverage of Pens is kind of bleh...nothing there

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
The Athletic has a promotion for $0.99 for 3 months as a first time user. I found the ad via Instagram. I can’t find a link now though. I am giving it a go. Mostly to see @Jesse analysis and video breakdowns.

This may not be the correct place to post this. Please move if necessary mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->