OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with more Fake News

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see someone's been reading my dream journal again.

HSL is all...

oCcUGK3.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just really wish that all of Pittsburgh radio sports media would just get cancelled and shot into the sun :laugh:

I think the written media is at least decent, but the radio personalities of this city are horrid. It's really sad that for how bad and disgusting of a person MM is, he still has the best sports radio show in Pittsburgh. At least Madden isn't tweeting out that Hank Aaron died because he got a COVID vaccine.

My favorite part of Pittsburgh sports radio continues to be the battle between Paul Zeise and uttering a complete sentence.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
And as someone in the field I think these people should have no place in the media. It takes no talent, it's hurtful, it gives no discourse worth a damn, and it rewards the worst in people. It should be wiped from the face of the earth. Madden's a no talent clown that is enabled to attack people (usually female, often Black) by people who hate listen or agree with his disgusting opinions. This applies to people like Cowherd, Bayless, Clay Travis, basically everyone at Barstool, and so many more.
This post is really funny.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bigotry, racism, sexism, homophobia. It’s not an act, it’s him.

Radio host tells woman to ‘Get in the kitchen, have a kid, dance round a pole’

I’m completely indifferent on Madden, but you are trying to create a narrative here and it’s not as black and white as you are saying.

Calling Madden various things may be true, but this is the second or third time you have called him a racist and that’s BS.

He has been extremely clear how he is agt racism and we need to be careful about casting theses labels around - especially when the guy has shown he’s anything but a racist.

I haven’t seen any evidence he’s homophobic - but I wouldn’t doubt he exploited the Stewart rumors for his own benefit.

He has written agt homophobia in both the NFL and NHL a number of times. Here is one of the articles I remember:

Madden: First openly gay player has difficult road ahead in the NFL

While I believe he sometimes displays misogynistic tendencies, he also just wrote a great, eye opening piece about the hypocrisy towards cancel culture with women:

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

I also have a lot of friends in the hockey world who were either coached by Madden or know him, and to a person they all raved about what a sweet, giving and kind person he is.

I know you want to demonize him, but I’m just saying there is a lot more grey here than you are willing to admit.

Reactions: KIRK and vodeni

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The guy peddles dog whistles more than Petsmart. He’s shown himself plenty and a few puff pieces won’t change that fact. His act isn’t an act.

“He’s not a homophobe but he may have used attacks meant to portray someone as gay to appeal to homophobia in his favor.” is a homophone.

He’s repeatedly attacked women and belittled them.

I’m not throwing these terms around willy nilly. These are a constant pattern over the years. Over DECADES.

I’ve encountered him in person and have dealt with that side of him. I really don’t care. Who you are is who you show yourself time and again in public. At some point it’s not an act, it’s you. That time passed long ago. He’s all I’ve described above. If he isn’t he’d drop the shit, instead he mines it for likes, attention and justification.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I've done no research on him

But I've never seen a story or heard of what Mark madden has talked about on his show to think he's anything more than a dumb local sports commentator

So I don't really care about the guy

Reactions: Gurglesons

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The guy peddles dog whistles more than Petsmart. He’s shown himself plenty and a few puff pieces won’t change that fact. His act isn’t an act.

“He’s not a homophobe but he may have used attacks meant to portray someone as gay to appeal to homophobia in his favor.” is a homophone.

I’m not throwing these terms around willy nilly. These are a constant pattern over the years. Over DECADES.

I’ve encountered him in person and have dealt with that side of him. I really don’t care. Who you are is who you show yourself time and again in public. At some point it’s not an act, it’s you. That time passed long ago. He’s all I’ve described above. If he isn’t he’d drop the shit, instead he mines it for likes, attention and justification.

That’s fine if you want to believe this, but again when dozens of people I know and trust all echo the same thing about how kind and giving the guy is, that tells me there is way more grey here than you think.

I’m not really all the invested in defending Madden though, he can be a dick and he’s helped create that impression of himself.

However, one thing I’ll take issue with is calling him a racist.

He’s shown some questionable judgment on other issues, but there hasn’t been a single issue one can ever point to about him being a racist.

He’s been quite clear that he is anti-racist and despises that kind of behavior.

So putting that kind of label on someone without a single justification is dangerous and wreckless.

Unless he straight up said racist remarks to you, there is no justification for slapping a harmful label on him like that - simply because you hate the guy.

Last edited:

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
I'm loath to defend Mark Madden, but I don't love the trend of calling someone homophobic for something they did in the distant past. I know 2002 doesn't seem that long ago, but when it comes to popular acceptance of LGBTQ people, 2002 might as well be 1958. If he's said something homophobic in the last five years or so, that would be a different story.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm loath to defend Mark Madden, but I don't love the trend of calling someone homophobic for something they did in the distant past. I know 2002 doesn't seem that long ago, but when it comes to popular acceptance of LGBTQ people, 2002 might as well be 1958. If he's said something homophobic in the last five years or so, that would be a different story.

I have no clue where the homophobia stuff is coming from TBTH.

Wexell is a guy who has had his own issues and a hair trigger temper.

He accused Madden of driving the rumors about Kordell, but as I recall and this article points out, Madden defended Stewart agt the rumor mongering and Wexell never showed any proof:

Newsmaker: Jim Wexell / Talk show fight costs him a job, gets praise

Madden was harsh on Stewart like he is on JJSS, Malkin etc... but he never said or wrote any homophobic comments that I have ever heard/saw.

It’s pretty disingenuous and dangerous as hell to slap these labels one someone without any real proof.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I have no clue where the homophobia stuff is coming from TBTH.

Wexell is a guy who has had his own issues and a hair trigger temper.

He accused Madden of driving the rumors about Kordell, but as I recall and this article points out, Madden defended Stewart agt the rumor mongering and Wexell never showed any proof:

Newsmaker: Jim Wexell / Talk show fight costs him a job, gets praise

Madden was harsh on Stewart like he is on JJSS, Malkin etc... but he never said or wrote any homophobic comments that I have ever heard/saw.

It’s pretty disingenuous and dangerous as hell to slap these labels one someone without any real proof.
Madden was constantly bringing up the rumors. Maybe he isn't actually homophobic but it sure seemed that way back then. The easiest or simplest explanation is probably that he is a troll and doesn't necessarily believe anything he says. He just says it to get ratings. Luckily for him the Pittsburgh radio media is so bad that his nonsense comes across as fresh and entertaining.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Madden was constantly bringing up the rumors. Maybe he isn't actually homophobic but it sure seemed that way back then. The easiest or simplest explanation is probably that he is a troll and doesn't necessarily believe anything he says. He just says it to get ratings. Luckily for him the Pittsburgh radio media is so bad that his nonsense comes across as fresh and entertaining.

It’s not like I listened to every broadcast of his, so can’t account for everything obviously, but I remember him blasting the real racist, homophobic trolls who would call.

Then later when Kordell wasn’t playing well, he would make comments in jest... basically making fun of the hateful Yinzers, but I guess I could see how people would take it the wrong way and think he was serious.

I always got his odd brand of sarcasm, but I understand there are people who don’t and yet others who are hateful and think he was agreeing with them.

I guess if Wexell took things the wrong way I could see why he was mad.. but he has his own issues and isn’t a saint either for sure.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Did anyone hear Mark Madden on the last episode of Spittin Chiclets? He believes that Sid is the 4th best player in the history of the NHL, behind Mario, Gretzky and Orr.

I love Sid, but come on now. Dont be so biased, yeeezus.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

You're on a crusade and I think almost everything you wrote in this post is a complete lie. I'm not a Madden fan but there are literally thousands of people who have said they met him in person and he's one of the nicest people they've met. He's never said a word that is racist and it's very damaging to throw that label out flippantly. Since you're so keen on letting everyone know you're 'in the field', care to tell us at what level? You sound like an aircraft mechanic offering opinions on SOF tactics to the unwitting public.

This kind of slander has become all too common and it damages careers and reputations. You don't have a shred of evidence to back up what you're saying. We need broader definitions and higher penalties for false statements and defamation so people can get sued out of their minds for throwing out labels without proof.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Did anyone hear Mark Madden on the last episode of Spittin Chiclets? He believes that Sid is the 4th best player in the history of the NHL, behind Mario, Gretzky and Orr.

I think if he can be a catalyst in another Cup win or he had been healthier in his prime to add a couple scoring titles to the mantle, a strong argument could be made for top 5 all time.

As is, I think he’s definitely top ten, not sure about top 4/5.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
You're on a crusade and I think almost everything you wrote in this post is a complete lie. I'm not a Madden fan but there are literally thousands of people who have said they met him in person and he's one of the nicest people they've met. He's never said a word that is racist and your post is utter garbage. Since you're so keen on letting everyone know you're 'in the field', care to tell us at what level? You sound like an aircraft mechanic offering opinions on SOF tactics to the unwitting public.

This kind of slander has become all too common and it damages careers and reputations. You don't have a shred of evidence to back up what you're saying. We need broader definitions and higher penalties for false statements and defamation so people can get sued out of their minds for throwing out labels without proof.

Ive met him and been around him a good deal. I still comfortably mean what I say because it’s all fact based. Later tater.

Reactions: Rave7215

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh

They talked about this on HNIC last weekend when Sid had his 1000th game (which I think was before the podcast came out?). Anthony Stewart (it was either him or David Amber) had him in the top 3. Others had him in the top 5, and at worst, top 10. So, sure, there's some bias there with Madden, but it's not as far-fetched as it seems.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
mark madden is not homophobic, racist, or sexist. i met him, and i'm actually gay and not just some woker than thou signaller, so i think i would know. he's a fairly regular guy from this area who plays up a contrarian persona on the radio. i can't imagine getting mad at him or being so sensitive. there's no standard by which he could be called any of these that you couldn't try to apply to anyone. it's childish

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->