OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with more Fake News

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I see someone's been reading my dream journal again.

hahaha... MANNNNN.... don't get me started on dreams!

Hey... you ever put a pen and tablet next to your bed and jot down what you remember from your sleep?

Its so hilarious and ****ed up at the same time....
I highly recommend it... especially if you've never done it before.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I hate Madden because he's a repulsive person in general, but this is such a massive stretch to criticize him for this.

If you can't take public criticism for your work, you shouldn't be in that field. It's really that simple.

Criticism is fine. Attacking someone outright like Madden did is entirely different and inexcusable.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Criticism is fine. Attacking someone outright like Madden did is entirely different and inexcusable.

What gives you the right to decide when it’s acceptable for someone to feel attacked? People calling for your termination because you are perceived to have overstayed your expiration date as a coach could be very mentally damaging.

What is the line between criticism and attacking?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
What gives you the right to decide when it’s acceptable for someone to feel attacked? People calling for your termination because you are perceived to have overstayed your expiration date as a coach could be very mentally damaging.

If you need me to type it louder so you can hear from your high horse, just let me know.

"This person has overstayed their welcome as coach. Here's my rationale with facts and examples."

"This person sucks and is ugly they're terrible at their job."

What's the difference? Or do I need "to type it louder?"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"This person has overstayed their welcome as coach. Here's my rationale with facts and examples."

Mark Madden is a shock jock. I mean, I get she was offended, but really if you’re getting into public broadcasting or want to be a celeb you need to get used to that.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

I edited my last part out, because it was probably out of line.

MM's argument was that she was not qualified for the job she had and got it based on her personal appearance and her husband being a professional athlete...which is a set back to qualified women who are trying to break into a male dominated industry. He did not say she was ugly, exactly the opposite...which tells me you didn't even take the time to look up the article to read it before calling for his de-platforming. He said that her replacement had "80% of her looks" but was far more qualified.

Was he right that she wasn't qualified? I have no clue, but is it much of a difference for a bunch of people who have never been in an NHL locker room accusing a coach of doing such a poor job that they should be fired?

Again, who decides what crosses the line from criticism vs attacking?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Mark Madden is a shock jock. I mean, I get she was offended, but really if you’re getting into public broadcasting or want to be a celeb you need to get used to that.

And as someone in the field I think these people should have no place in the media. It takes no talent, it's hurtful, it gives no discourse worth a damn, and it rewards the worst in people. It should be wiped from the face of the earth. Madden's a no talent clown that is enabled to attack people (usually female, often Black) by people who hate listen or agree with his disgusting opinions. This applies to people like Cowherd, Bayless, Clay Travis, basically everyone at Barstool, and so many more.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
I edited my last part out, because it was probably out of line.

MM's argument was that she was not qualified for the job she had and got it based on her personal appearance and her husband being a professional athlete which is a set back to qualified women who are trying to break into a male dominated industry. He did not say she was ugly, exactly the opposite...which tells me you didn't even take the time to look up the article to read it before calling for his de-platforming. He said that her replacement had "80% of her looks" but was far more qualified.

Was he right that she wasn't qualified? I have no clue, but is it much of a difference for a bunch of people who have never been in an NHL locker room accusing a coach of doing such a poor job that they should be fired?

Again, who decides what crosses the line from criticism vs attacking?

My "they're ugly" was more generalizing. To question her credentials from him, someone who has a job because of Mario (seriously, he was fired at ESPN then lands a job with the outlet that has the Pens rights) is rich on his part.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My "they're ugly" was more generalizing. To question her credentials from him, someone who has a job because of Mario (seriously, he was fired at ESPN then lands a job with the outlet that has the Pens rights) is rich on his part.

You're also the guy who made a thread calling for Sullivan's firing because "his message has gotten stale." I'd like to know your sources from the team who has told you that. You're questioning an NHL coach's credentials based on sitting at home and watching the games, which is rich on your part.

It goes both ways.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What’s amazing to me about Madden’s long pathetic existence as a public figure in Pittsburgh sports is that he cannot be happy about anything in local sports otherwise his listeners wouldn’t tune in. :laugh:

Talk about a wretched existence! And Madden seems pretty miserable too.

A whole epidemic of Smizikitis running wild.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The line is :

HFBoards isn't the press

It's a pretty big, clear line

She heard the story from a separate radio show talking about the article. HF is the biggest hockey message board on the internet (I'd also wager gets more attention than a Post Gazette article these days) and it's known that media frequent. What if someone on the radio needs to fill an hour and decides to use a thread on HF as a talking point and quotes some fans about how Sullivan has lost the team, is terrible at his job, etc, and it causes a great deal of mental anguish for Sullivan.

Madden is a dolt, but calling for people to be de-platformed for criticizing a public figure is a slippery slope.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Does he still interview adult actresses on his show? It used to be such an odd combination of content to me. Hockey, adult actresses, wrestling all sprinkled with incel energy.

lol...well that’s one way to get a “date”...if you have a radio show...

Reactions: dogthateats

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Madden’s not having his speech suppressed by the government, he could do what DK did and start his own podcast or newsletter or substack or whatever. :dunno:

Hell, it’s probably a better long term move, but MM’s not really about that sort of vision.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just really wish that all of Pittsburgh radio sports media would just get cancelled and shot into the sun :laugh:

I think the written media is at least decent, but the radio personalities of this city are horrid. It's really sad that for how bad and disgusting of a person MM is, he still has the best sports radio show in Pittsburgh. At least Madden isn't tweeting out that Hank Aaron died because he got a COVID vaccine.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Times were also different in 2004, it’s not like he wrote the article during the height of the cancel culture.

Didn’t he write this in 2004?

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
You're also the guy who made a thread calling for Sullivan's firing because "his message has gotten stale." I'd like to know your sources from the team who has told you that. You're questioning an NHL coach's credentials based on sitting at home and watching the games, which is rich on your part.

It goes both ways.

These two things aren’t even comparable. In no way whatsoever.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
What’s amazing to me about Madden’s long pathetic existence as a public figure in Pittsburgh sports is that he cannot be happy about anything in local sports otherwise his listeners wouldn’t tune in. :laugh:

Talk about a wretched existence! And Madden seems pretty miserable too.

A whole epidemic of Smizikitis running wild.

I think Madden loves the Pens (well he flat out says it) is indifferent about the Steelers, and loathes the Pirates and baseball like me.

I don’t really expect him to pretend to be a fan of teams he doesn’t care about, and there’s no doubt his stance on the pro teams in Pgh isn’t through rose colored glasses - so it pisses off the Yinzers.

I lived in Toronto for seven years, so I find it comical people get bent by Madden... let me tell you all about Toronto sports personalities... make Madden look like a p***ycat.

He’s kind of a dick, but he’s not really that bad.

Also people accusing him of making racists remarks are pretty much making things up... he’s pretty clear about how he feels about racism.

He displays subtle misogyny at times IMHO, but I never heard or read anything I considered over the line from him.

The article in question I’d have to read before making a judgment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->