OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Neither am I. I'm just being a jagoff because every post (hyperbole) has a ****ing in it
The filter is there, might as well use it, right?

I do enjoy Bombulie, he gets to the point and gives you all of the pertinent information that he's able to give you without getting into trouble. All without some silly pay wall that has the information that is already readily available.

Look, no swearing Ma!

Reactions: Shady Machine

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The filter is there, might as well use it, right?

I do enjoy Bombulie, he gets to the point and gives you all of the pertinent information that he's able to give you without getting into trouble. All without some silly pay wall that has the information that is already readily available.

Look, no swearing Ma!

Most boring post you've ever written here

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Haha, listen I was reading this article, about I forget what, but I remember reading like 2 paragraphs and it was trying so hard to be high brow sports writing that I just got annoyed and didn't bother reading the rest of it.

It got so wrapped up in the imagery of whatever that person was trying to say that you were like, wait...am I reading an English Lit essay or was this about sports, what is going on here?

You don't need to try that damn hard, to be different, just write about what people want to know, its not rocket science. There's no guy sitting there with a library of literary legends behind him with a glass of $10,000 scotch and a $9,000 cigar saying "What is this drivel, I say! Arthur, fetch me my slippers, I must capitulate to my exhaustion..."
Have you ever read an album review at pitchfork.com?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Most boring post you've ever written here
Well, f***, excuse me...

F6USGT2.gif

For real though, sports reporting is one of those things where point form is 100% acceptable and at times, should be how it is reported. I don't hate Friedman anymore, but his 30 thoughts thing, its the right amount of content to info ratio.

I don't need an essay with prose and metaphors about why so and so is like a lost elephant in the savanna or some dumb shit.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
You can ask tough questions and not be an ass about it... you don’t have to spring it on them in a presser ... pr smoothing things over doesn’t work as well in the social media era... man up and answer the tough questions.. even if that means saying you don’t know something or were wrong ... its ok... people recognize when they are being fed narratives after a while and don’t like it...

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Yohe and Mackey are completely useless at everything except gauging where the organization stands on certain players.

They spent the whole summer running PR for Jack Johnson, they reliably turned on Sprong, and I guess might do the same for Brassard.

I remember the PGH media turning on Kessel too. But the backlash from the Pens fans on Cook who I think started it was so bad that his colleagues had to rush to his defense and within a week or 2 you never heard about it again.

Up until recently.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
It’s funny how you guys think six figures makes you rich. Yohe should have been makimg that 15 years ago at least.
I doubt anyone would think it made you rich, but in Pittsburgh, six figures remains unattainable for a large number of non-technical professions, journalism being one of them.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
In what universe does a journalist in Pittsburgh make six figures?
DK disclosed that the Trib was paying him just north of 6 figs before he cut ties and started the DKPS Empire.

6 figs is nothing these days with skyrocketing inflation and COL. Hell a bunch of kids fresh out of college are either close to or just about making that much already. Got a younger cousin who’s 24 and making $120k as a pharmacist. Stupid money for being that age.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
DK disclosed that the Trib was paying him just north of 6 figs before he cut ties and started the DKPS Empire.

6 figs is nothing these days with skyrocketing inflation and COL. Hell a bunch of kids fresh out of college are either close to or just about making that much already. Got a younger cousin who’s 24 and making $120k as a pharmacist. Stupid money for being that age.

You realize it's like 10x more difficult to get a pharmacy degree than journalism. Anyone that has at least a minimally functioning brain with even just a tiny amount of work ethic could get a journalism degree.

Also with pharmacy and PA fields, generally there isn't a huge room for advancement. They make a lot coming out of school but the raises are very minimal. There's obvious exceptions, but they don't scale like it would in business if you were climbing the ladder.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

No wonder none of these guys can pay their bills.

(I work for a drug distributor, specifically to small pharmacies)

Reactions: Rossi Rat

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
OK, just heard on radio, Ron Cook asking Bob Grove: bob, what about ZAR. He had a brilliant game against Isles....?
Now we may s... a bit too much on ZAR, he is a plugger that brings not much, loses most of his battles, but somehow is perceived as a tough guy, whatever.....but in hockey conversation call his appearance brilliant, no wonder why its so nausiating following any hockey nedia...

Reactions: Al Smith

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
OK, just heard on radio, Ron Cook asking Bob Grove: bob, what about ZAR. He had a brilliant game against Isles....?
Now we may s... a bit too much on ZAR, he is a plugger that brings not much, loses most of his battles, but somehow is perceived as a tough guy, whatever.....but in hockey conversation call his appearance brilliant, no wonder why its so nausiating following any hockey nedia...
It definitely put me in the mind of Tanner Glass what with the blocked shots on the pk, a lack of any skill, and an all around positive attitude. So I guess some could call that brilliant. At least he moves on the pk, unlike Adams in his last few years, who stood in one spot and waved his stick.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
In what universe does a journalist in Pittsburgh make six figures?
Most senior editors you read online are easily making six figures. Doesn’t matter where they live as long as it’s a city. The amount you get paid has nothing to do with how challenging your degree was. It’s supply and demand like everything else. Personalities people resonate with are in short supply and those people get paid. Mark Madden isn’t rich because of his degree. He probably doesn’t even have one.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Most senior editors you read online are easily making six figures. Doesn’t matter where they live as long as it’s a city. The amount you get paid has nothing to do with how challenging your degree was. It’s supply and demand like everything else. Personalities people resonate with are in short supply and those people get paid. Mark Madden isn’t rich because of his degree. He probably doesn’t even have one.
Mark Madden isn’t rich and has a degree from Duquesne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad