OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Jesse? Lol.

Dude posts here and about rap music on twitter 50% of the time.

No way he’d be allowed to do that if he was on Pens payroll.

What if it was just access to info and not money changing hands? That is sort of a payment.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
What if it was just access to info and not money changing hands? That is sort of a payment.
of course its the access, however its the same situation with Steelers but Steelers beats like Bouchet call it as they see, they are all intimidated by Sully first so no hard questions on presser and some of them like Yohe and Mackey get direct access to GMJR so they would never say anything that they don't think is official management position. I think they don't even get marching order, they almost anticpate what the management would want to hear....

but hockey overall has the worst media. If I want to know more about whats going in NHL unlike NFL or NBA there is nowhere to go to the reall in depth player evaluation....Always laugh when some of the national writers are giving opinion on Pens player, they have no clue what they are talking about...

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
of course its the access, however its the same situation with Steelers but Steelers beats like Bouchet call it as they see, they are all intimidated by Sully first so no hard questions on presser and some of them like Yohe and Mackey get direct access to GMJR so they would never say anything that they don't think is official management position. I think they don't even get marching order, they almost anticpate what the management would want to hear....

but hockey overall has the worst media. If I want to know more about whats going in NHL unlike NFL or NBA there is nowhere to go to the reall in depth player evaluation....Always laugh when some of the national writers are giving opinion on Pens player, they have no clue what they are talking about...

This is true...I’ve emailed Mackey before asking him if they asked certain questions of Sullivan, and I’ve been told explicitly “why would we ask that...we have to work with these people every day and so we need to have access to them. They’ll just stop talking to us”

Last edited:

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Yohe and Mackey are completely useless at everything except gauging where the organization stands on certain players.

They spent the whole summer running PR for Jack Johnson, they reliably turned on Sprong, and I guess might do the same for Brassard.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think what people need to realize is that the vast majority of fans, this the vast majority of those reading articles about their favorite teams, do not live and breathe hockey or football, etc, and they don’t want to read articles that go into depth about the Xs and Os of the sport. In fact, I’d be willing to bet that most people who watch the games turn the channel during intermission instead of watching Jay and his telestrator because they don’t care. They want to read articles about Sid’s charity work or Kessel’s hot dog fetish, not about trapping or the left wing lock or F3 forwards...

It’s entertainment. It’s about getting clicks.

I walk away when Jay telestrates because it’s annoying and weird, not because I don’t like analysis.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yohe and Mackey are completely useless at everything except gauging where the organization stands on certain players.

They spent the whole summer running PR for Jack Johnson, they reliably turned on Sprong, and I guess might do the same for Brassard.

Yohe and Mackey don't go to the bathroom without JR's permission, and they certainly don't print anything considered newsworthy without the same.

Reactions: JackFr

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
So as much as we laugh at how much of a joke Rossi is, and how he was acting like the demise of the Crosby era Pens was nigh RIGHT before they won back to back cups... at least he went after GMJR and wasn’t a yes man like bitch boy Mackey and Yoheeee the six figure man.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So as much as we laugh at how much of a joke Rossi is, and how he was acting like the demise of the Crosby era Pens was nigh RIGHT before they won back to back cups... at least he went after GMJR and wasn’t a yes man like ***** boy Mackey and Yoheeee the six figure man.

Rossi was a little weasel that made everything about himself, and he only went after JR and MJ/MS because he was bitter about the Shero/DB firing.

He thought he was best buds with the later two, and made a fool of himself over it.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Rossi was a little weasel that made everything about himself, and he only went after JR and MJ/MS because he was bitter about the Shero/DB firing.

He thought he was best buds with the later two, and made a fool of himself over it.
That’s right, he’s a clown. I can tell because of how fired up some people have gotten about my name on here...

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
They have zero balls. They sound like they are directly paid by the Pens.

Bro, I appreciate any and all criticisms, but this one is just super bizarre to me. I've been called a lot of things in my life, but a water-carrier for the team has never been one of them.

Edit: I just realized you weren't talking about me.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh

Jiggy, I'd ask you to check out Rob's work now if you subscribe to us. It's...... not sensationalist. Decidedly not sensationalist. And I think I would say, speaking for Seth here, that we're not asking him to be sensationalist. Rob is good at writing stories. That's what he's doing with us now. I hope that him continuing down that path will help shake some of the hesitance people have from his time at the Trib.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bro, I appreciate any and all criticisms, but this one is just super bizarre to me. I've been called a lot of things in my life, but a water-carrier for the team has never been one of them.

Edit: I just realized you weren't talking about me.
Lol yeah I didn't mean you at all man. Mostly those ppg and other morons. You're not included in that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jiggy, I'd ask you to check out Rob's work now if you subscribe to us. It's...... not sensationalist. Decidedly not sensationalist. And I think I would say, speaking for Seth here, that we're not asking him to be sensationalist. Rob is good at writing stories. That's what he's doing with us now. I hope that him continuing down that path will help shake some of the hesitance people have from his time at the Trib.

My partner and I used to run a content driven membership site years back (before we sold it off), and we couldn’t have content ghostwritten like our other niches, as the members were paying for our advice in the niche we were in... so I understand all about dealing with criticism from subscribers and the pressure to please them.

In fact the bulk of my digital marketing career from 2001 on up as I established myself was all about nurturing my credibility with my readers. I learned early on you can’t please everyone and someone always finds a way to criticize your work.

Those experiences are mostly why I defended Rossi for years and expressed my belief he wasn’t some rotten individual, just a guy that didn’t understand the sport he was writing about. He never seemed to grasp a beat writer is supposed to stay neutral and be an observer. He just started going off the deep end towards the end though...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I follow the beat writers on Twitter for line combos and practice information. I follow Bobby Mac for actual news.
I stopped reading shit by Yohe & Mackey, they sound like schills that are paid by the Pens.

I purely just read the Pens twitter for the lines, then the mock Ego accounts for Sid & Geno for laughs, and then Bobby Mac and Fridgeman for relevant hockey news.

The Athletic, I gave it a try, but it sounds like such pretentious shit. I am not there to read f***ing prose about how a player didn't do well, give me the shit straight, don't feed me that shit and then have me dig through it all just to find out the news I want.

Like I was reading this one article, must've been some english lit reject that got into sports writing, because holy f***, I sat there annoyed as hell reading this drivel and all I wanted to know was the actual story and here I am, reading 80% of trash just to get to the actual 20% of content most care about.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Stay tuned. And I don't say that because you prompted me. The Oleksiak/Maatta pairing is coming up for my next story. It's not good.

giphy.gif

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I stopped reading **** by Yohe & Mackey, they sound like schills that are paid by the Pens.

I purely just read the Pens twitter for the lines, then the mock Ego accounts for Sid & Geno for laughs, and then Bobby Mac and Fridgeman for relevant hockey news.

The Athletic, I gave it a try, but it sounds like such pretentious ****. I am not there to read ****ing prose about how a player didn't do well, give me the **** straight, don't feed me that **** and then have me dig through it all just to find out the news I want.

Like I was reading this one article, must've been some english lit reject that got into sports writing, because holy ****, I sat there annoyed as hell reading this drivel and all I wanted to know was the actual story and here I am, reading 80% of trash just to get to the actual 20% of content most care about.

You seem like a pleasant individual.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You seem like a pleasant individual.
Haha, listen I was reading this article, about I forget what, but I remember reading like 2 paragraphs and it was trying so hard to be high brow sports writing that I just got annoyed and didn't bother reading the rest of it.

It got so wrapped up in the imagery of whatever that person was trying to say that you were like, wait...am I reading an English Lit essay or was this about sports, what is going on here?

You don't need to try that damn hard, to be different, just write about what people want to know, its not rocket science. There's no guy sitting there with a library of literary legends behind him with a glass of $10,000 scotch and a $9,000 cigar saying "What is this drivel, I say! Arthur, fetch me my slippers, I must capitulate to my exhaustion..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->