OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
The Athletic has a promotion for $0.99 for 3 months as a first time user. I found the ad via Instagram. I can’t find a link now though. I am giving it a go. Mostly to see @Jesse analysis and video breakdowns.

This may not be the correct place to post this. Please move if necessary mods.
Folks can always Google it, and Insta has a search feature. Let us know what you think!

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Having said, DK says today he’s basically gone.
And in fairness makes the point that Brass fits better in a trap/counterpunch system.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Having said, DK says today he’s basically gone.
And in fairness makes the point that Brass fits better in a trap/counterpunch system.

I don't even care about defending Brassard, it's just ... is this what passes for analysis? Who would be in that spot if Brassard weren't? Riley Sheahan, who everyone also complains about? Also, because this is Josh Yohe, I assume this tweet is more pining for Ian Cole, which I find absolutely ridiculous.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't even care about defending Brassard, it's just ... is this what passes for analysis? Who would be in that spot if Brassard weren't? Riley Sheahan, who everyone also complains about? Also, because this is Josh Yohe, I assume this tweet is more pining for Ian Cole, which I find absolutely ridiculous.
no, this is JR giving Yohe wink to turn on Brassard, These guys never ever criticize anyone, right now their job is to pump the tire for ZAR and take shots at Geno as usual, and of course to go after Brass

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yes, because Brassard is the only reason they’re losing those games.

Well, it looks like the media narrative now is to jump on him. Not saying he doesn’t deserve any of it, but it’s not just his fault. That said, if they can get something else for him that’ll fit better, I won’t object.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I guess by his same logic, look how well the Avs have done since they signed Cole, so why wouldn’t he pine for Cole.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
While I'm bitching about Josh Yohe, let me also say that he's the only full-time writer for the Athletic Pittsburgh and he can't even be bothered to post an article after yesterday's game. Plenty of time to craft baiting tweets, though.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

I'm not buying into Yohe's analysis, any idiot could realize we've been playing under a .500 win percentage since that trade. What really baffles me is this team was on an absolute rampage, even with Sheahan playing 3C, prior to acquiring Brassard. We were looking destined for the 3-peat and that trade looked like it would seal the deal. So what happened? Why did this team completely crash into a brick wall since then? Were Cole and Reaves that important to the locker room?

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I'm not buying into Yohe's analysis, any idiot could realize we've been playing under a .500 win percentage since that trade. What really baffles me is this team was on an absolute rampage, even with Sheahan playing 3C, prior to acquiring Brassard. We were looking destined for the 3-peat and that trade looked like it would seal the deal. So what happened? Why did this team completely crash into a brick wall since then? Were Cole and Reaves that important to the locker room?

Certainly interesting. Always been intrigued by that.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think it's probable that losing Cole was a significant blow to the team's mojo. He was well-liked by everyone except Sullivan, played well above his pay grade for the most part, and was shipped out for what basically amounts to business reasons during a cup run. I buy that a decision like that could be enough to take people off their A-games.

On the other hand, in truth, the Pens largely lucked into the 2017 cup. They were battered, missing their number one defenseman, and got pushed to the absolute brink of elimination by the Ottawa Senators, a team they should have easily bested. The roster prior to the deadline last season was in no way better than the 2017 cup team, especially at center, and they were not going to get that lucky again. Rutherford had to get a better 3C than Sheahan, and he did. Brassard not working out doesn't mean the trade was flawed in concept.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's probable that losing Cole was a significant blow to the team's mojo. He was well-liked by everyone except Sullivan, played well above his pay grade for the most part, and was shipped out for what basically amounts to business reasons during a cup run. I buy that a decision like that could be enough to take people off their A-games.

On the other hand, in truth, the Pens largely lucked into the 2017 cup. They were battered, missing their number one defenseman, and got pushed to the absolute brink of elimination by the Ottawa Senators, a team they should have easily bested. The roster prior to the deadline last season was in no way better than the 2017 cup team, especially at center, and they were not going to get that lucky again. Rutherford had to get a better 3C than Sheahan, and he did. Brassard not working out doesn't mean the trade was flawed in concept.

Yeah, a lot of players tricked JR with career seasons / the loyalty card.

This team needed a retool in 2017 and instead he just let UFAs walk and have RFAs UFA value.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Do you think Geno avoids contact/rough areas? I think that was where DK was going.

Ah. I was replying to your noting that DK said Brass fits a trapping/counter system.

I was unaware that the article mentioned Brass avoiding contact.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

A couple things to point out here.
The 2017 team was rock solid with steady/heady players in 2 significant areas that is lacking atm.
The bottom 6 C position(Bones/good Cullen) and depth D(Cole, Daley, Hainsey).

Brassard simply isn't the 2-way gurus that were Bonino and goodCullen(even a well playing Sheahan couldn't touch those 2 in terms of effectiveness in the playoffs). One thing that people keep forgetting though is he's had an awful groin issue that makes him that much softer, imo. Theres an ounce of just simple bad luck with this injury.

The D's pretty self explanatory of those smart/heady guys out and these not so smart/heady guys in BUT Letang also had a horrid last season and has looked much better overall this year.
When Letang is/was like that you're gonna need all the Cole/Daley/Hainsey types you can get and there simply was none anymore in the '18 run.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Got the ratings for November. Totally dominant again. These are the glory days of Pgh sports radio, &I am the biggest head on Mt. Rushmore. Figuratively& literally.

The BIG MAN. The HOSS. "Mark Madden? Oh yeah... he's the guy that lives in the big house, on the big side of town..."

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Got the ratings for November. Totally dominant again. These are the glory days of Pgh sports radio, &I am the biggest head on Mt. Rushmore. Figuratively& literally.

The BIG MAN. The HOSS. "Mark Madden? Oh yeah... he's the guy that lives in the big house, on the big side of town..."

Do you just talk about Penn State all day?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why I struggle with the Pittsburgh sports media, in one tweet:

Well, outside of Bombulie, all of the Pittsburgh Penguins writers suck ass. It's always pro-pens shit in the most dumb homer sort of way, you'd think they were on this board. "Oh we moved that guy? Well f*** that guy!!"

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Well, outside of Bombulie, all of the Pittsburgh Penguins writers suck ass. It's always pro-pens **** in the most dumb homer sort of way, you'd think they were on this board. "Oh we moved that guy? Well **** that guy!!"

I like Jesse Marshall and Seth Rorabaugh's work, too, but yeah, I know what you mean. It would be nice to read some of the other beat writers and actually learn something new about the game.

Reactions: Jesse

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I think what people need to realize is that the vast majority of fans, this the vast majority of those reading articles about their favorite teams, do not live and breathe hockey or football, etc, and they don’t want to read articles that go into depth about the Xs and Os of the sport. In fact, I’d be willing to bet that most people who watch the games turn the channel during intermission instead of watching Jay and his telestrator because they don’t care. They want to read articles about Sid’s charity work or Kessel’s hot dog fetish, not about trapping or the left wing lock or F3 forwards...

It’s entertainment. It’s about getting clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad