OT: Pittsburgh Media Thread - Still the Worst | Now with Drunken Rants!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
No, the two 2nd round picks were just...I think collectively, no one liked that trade in the fan base. Hell, I remember reading constantly about trying to make him sound cool because of a keg tap thing he invested/invented.

Otherwise, another largely wasted trade by Raymundo Shero.

Q0fPEk0.gif
One was traded back for Tyler Kennwdy and they drafted Jarry with that pick also IIRC.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One was traded back for Tyler Kennwdy and they drafted Jarry with that pick also IIRC.
It gets even better knowing it was the CBJ's 2nd round pick that got us Tristan Jarry.

As it went down (from the Pedia)...
The Columbus Blue Jackets' second-round pick went to the Pittsburgh Penguins as the result of a trade on June 30, 2013, that sent San Jose's second-round pick in 2013 (50th overall) and a third-round pick in 2013 (89th overall) to Columbus in exchange for this pick.

The dick punch?

1st of the 2nd that went to the Sharks went to the Wings and the Wings took Tyler Bertuzzi.
The Pittsburgh Penguins' second-round pick went to the Detroit Red Wings as a result of a trade on June 30, 2013, that sent a first round pick in 2013 (18th overall) to San Jose in return for a first round pick in 2013 (20th overall) and this pick.[29]
San Jose previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on March 25, 2013, that sent Douglas Murray to Pittsburgh in exchange for a conditional second-round pick in 2014 and this pick.
2nd of the 2nd's that went to the Sharks ended up being some wanker named Noah Rod.

That Draft set up a ton for the Wings actually, they swapped those 1sts which ended up being Mirco Mueller (lmao) that the Sharks took, higher, and the Wings used their 1sts swap to get Anthony Mantha. Holland jobbed the sharks hard on that one.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
in his defense mm has liked pool since before they won the champions league this last time

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
in his defense mm has liked pool since before they won the champions league this last time
I generally never liked futbol growing up in Birmingham (& Pittsburgh), I played it, but I always naturally gravitated towards playing Rugby (in addition to Hockey). But Liverpool fans, there's a type. They're garbage, mate. @Clare2904 can confirm if she remembers how they are.

Google some stories about "Liverpool F.C fans."

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I generally never liked futbol growing up in Birmingham (& Pittsburgh), I played it, but I always naturally gravitated towards playing Rugby (in addition to Hockey). But Liverpool fans, there's a type. They're garbage, mate. @Clare2904 can confirm if she remembers how they are.

Might have said this before but I don’t care about or follow soccer/futbol... yet any time I notice Liverpool is playing, I root for them to lose because he cheers for them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Rugby is the superior hooligan sport. I was a wing for exactly one season until I got mangled. :laugh: Ruggers are tough.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rugby is the superior hooligan sport. I was a wing for exactly one season until I got mangled. :laugh: Ruggers are tough.
You gotta be built sturdy mate. I played every year in school. My brother stuck with futbol the day he saw 3 of my fingers bent in ways that were not normal :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You gotta be built sturdy mate. I played every year in school. My brother stuck with futbol the day he saw 3 of my fingers bent in ways that were not normal :laugh:

The thing is, I'm no lightweight. I was a competitive judo player at 81 kg, but man, ruggers are BIG. :laugh: I got through the season okay, but I figured that I broke less bones in judo and I was never going to be big enough for rugby to not constantly feel like I was taking my life in my hands every match.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing is, I'm no lightweight. I was a competitive judo player at 81 kg, but man, ruggers are BIG. :laugh: I got through the season okay, but I figured that I broke less bones in judo and I was never going to be big enough for rugby to not constantly feel like I was taking my life in my hands every match.
I will admit, you have to be a little mad to play rugby. I felt less in danger in boxing and kickboxing than I did for years playing rugby. It's a brutal sport. Judo ain't for the weak either.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
What a pivot for Ramon Foster going from an active Steeler to a part time job writing for DK’s blog in the span of a few months.

Surprised all these local radio and subscription websites still seem to be thriving. Guess that’s just us grasping for content that just isn’t there and instead indulging in previewing games scheduled in 4+ months that may not happen and tired cliches like the Mt Rushmore, ranking athletes, old games, etc.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Speaking on just my level, from a collegiate athletics standpoint, we've had to scramble to figure out how to fill this void. We've largely followed the same pattern. We're re-airing classic games from the past every Friday, doing Zoom interviews with coaches/athletes weekly for a sponsored show, and the sports information side is catching up with former student athletes to see what they're doing.

It's pretty much all of that across the board.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think it'd be really interesting to see how former student athletes (who now do something different entirely) relate to the game now once they're out. I work with a couple Canadian former WHL players who didn't make it to the show and across the board, they've always got a really interesting take on the game that's not what you'd get from guys that stay connected to hockey all the way through.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
What a pivot for Ramon Foster going from an active Steeler to a part time job writing for DK’s blog in the span of a few months.

Surprised all these local radio and subscription websites still seem to be thriving. Guess that’s just us grasping for content that just isn’t there and instead indulging in previewing games scheduled in 4+ months that may not happen and tired cliches like the Mt Rushmore, ranking athletes, old games, etc.

Poor Ramon. Sounds like a professional low.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Poor Ramon. Sounds like a professional low.
Lol. Then DK and MM trashed that Steelers blog Steelers Depot because they cited MM’s interview with Kevin Colbert’s but didn’t mention Madden’s name, only the radio station (105.9 the X). The horror!

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

for anyone curious about the Athletic. Wondering just how much they are paying their writers.

edit: locally, the PG will be making cuts too. 24 total, 5 sports employees.

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Last night he “broke” the story of the 24 game playoff being approved (after it had been broken elsewhere).

Later he said “Prepare for another bombshell!” And his story was that the Penguins voted “hard no” on the proposal. Just to have Letang come out and say, via Friedman, that they voted yes and were pleased with the proposal.

Ol Bud then doubled down saying they believe their source just to delete it an hour or two later and say they were wrong.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Last night he “broke” the story of the 24 game playoff being approved (after it had been broken elsewhere).

Later he said “Prepare for another bombshell!” And his story was that the Penguins voted “hard no” on the proposal. Just to have Letang come out and say, via Friedman, that they voted yes and were pleased with the proposal.

Ol Bud then doubled down saying they believe their source just to delete it an hour or two later and say they were wrong.

You forgot the part where a Penguins player commented on it being because of Price lol.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

for anyone curious about the Athletic. Wondering just how much they are paying their writers.

edit: locally, the PG will be making cuts too. 24 total, 5 sports employees.

I am laughing at that, I tried out Athletic and wasn't really impressed with what they were putting out, tried to cancel my subscription and they spammed the crap out of me, I was getting repeated emails and I made sure I didn't set any notifications for any emails, I had to contact them several times to stop the spam as their unsubscribe button didn't do anything and since I already unsubscribed it was frustrating. They then tried to offer me some voucher/discount and yeah, I told them to piss off.

Yeah I saw that, was like wait, what? Then I saw the Friedman thing and it was shown as a part 2 the Pens saying no thing, so I was trying to figure out what that was about and then the Price and Kane thing was going around and I just gave up trying to give a crap about whatever was being put out there.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol. Then DK and MM trashed that Steelers blog Steelers Depot because they cited MM’s interview with Kevin Colbert’s but didn’t mention Madden’s name, only the radio station (105.9 the X). The horror!
Steelers Depot seems to like reposting other people's news and passing it off as their own though, so there's that as well.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i think the athletic is really good but you need to really like a lot of different sports, soccer especially

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad