Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So, Hornquist is hiding out somewhere, hoping this will all blow over?

Not exactly pumped that Rutherford is Guerin's mentor.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Any news on this other than the Week’s tweet in OP? Any other sources chime in yet?

-The deal sounds like it is straight up, with the Penguins pushing for salary retention from Florida. Not confirmed if there will be retention, just that the Penguins pushed for it
-The deal is being held up because Hornqvist's contract isn't insured and Florida isn't comfortable with trading for him without contract insurance. It remains tbd how long that will take to get sorted out and whether it will kill the deal or not.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
-The deal sounds like it is straight up, with the Penguins pushing for salary retention from Florida. Not confirmed if there will be retention, just that the Penguins pushed for it
-The deal is being held up because Hornqvist's contract isn't insured and Florida isn't comfortable with trading for him without contract insurance. It remains tbd how long that will take to get sorted out and whether it will kill the deal or not.

where'd you see all this??

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
where'd you see all this??

Jesse Marshall (Pens athletic writer) said the straight up part in the Penguins thread, Rob Rossi (another Pens athletic writer) said that the Penguins were pushing for Florida to retain money so the Penguins could have money to play with in free agency and Friedman said that the deal is being held up due to insurance problems with one of the players. The only unverified part was someone on reddit saying that it was Hornqvist's contract that was uninsured, but the rest came from legitimate sources.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Don’t break a leg....

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Jesse Marshall (Pens athletic writer) said the straight up part in the Penguins thread, Rob Rossi (another Pens athletic writer) said that the Penguins were pushing for Florida to retain money so the Penguins could have money to play with in free agency and Friedman said that the deal is being held up due to insurance problems with one of the players. The only unverified part was someone on reddit saying that it was Hornqvist's contract that was uninsured, but the rest came from legitimate sources.

Thanks. Appreciate the update.

Reactions: Vinman88

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The bearded oneaka Friedman said its uninsured hotnquist

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
4gEzjK3h_o757rq9gst2ADhavAg=.gif

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCMCs4v6TgOwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wasn’t aware he regressed that much.

Schultz is horrible now. He's an offensive defenseman without any offensive ability at this point. And he's never been good defensively, so he's basically just a defensive liability with zero offense to balance things out.

Matheson is a better defenseman than Schultz at this point, but that's not really saying much because of how terrible Schultz has been since breaking his ankle/leg.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Schultz is horrible now. He's an offensive defenseman without any offensive ability at this point. And he's never been good defensively, so he's basically just a defensive liability with zero offense to balance things out.

Matheson is a better defenseman than Schultz at this point, but that's not really saying much because of how terrible Schultz has been since breaking his ankle/leg.

geez. I didn’t even notice. That sucks. Matheson was brutal for the cats against the isles. They looked so much better without him in the lineup. I remember when they signed him I thought it was going to be an absolute steal. He really seems like he peaked early.

he has 6 Left. That’s a big commitment. Maybe a change of scenery helps him but that’s a big gamble with that term. Any word if FLA is retaining anything?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
geez. I didn’t even notice. That sucks. Matheson was brutal for the cats against the isles. They looked so much better without him in the lineup. I remember when they signed him I thought it was going to be an absolute steal. He really seems like he peaked early.

he has 6 Left. That’s a big commitment. Maybe a change of scenery helps him but that’s a big gamble with that term. Any word if FLA is retaining anything?

Put it this way regarding Schultz's play: he was paired with Jack Johnson much of this season and it's debatable about which one was the bigger liability.

Reactions: qqaz

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah. That's a trash article based purely on the Weekes tweet. Until it's actually confirmed it remains a rumor, regardless of how likely it is.

On another note, how common is it for NHL regulars to have uninsured contracts?
Not very: usually happens with older players with major health issues who get a big deal later in their career. I think Horton and Clarkson had issues there?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Rumor is PIT has asked/pushed for it, but haven't heard anything yet.

As for the "playoffs" this year... I wouldn't put a ton of faith into 2 games (good or bad) after a 4 month break or whatnot. That said, if (and I say this having paid almost no attention to Matheson in the last year or so) he was crap earlier this year... then that I'd put a bunch of faith in. The only thing that excites me out of this deal is the idea that if we're bringing MM in, that JJ almost has to be on his way out....

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad