Pitt adding NCAA D1 hockey?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Get them in the Big Ten. Get the conference back to an even number and creates a nice rivalry with Penn State.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
There are plenty of schools who have looked at adding hockey, but the money is the biggest factor. The operating budget for an NCAA Division I team can range from $800K to $4M. Not cheap.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
There are plenty of schools who have looked at adding hockey, but the money is the biggest factor. The operating budget for an NCAA Division I team can range from $800K to $4M. Not cheap.

Of course it doesn't come cheap. But if the article is credible, then it would seem Pitt is a step ahead of that with getting direct assistance from an NHL team and apparently having a big donor the likes of Pegula in the wings. If all that is true, it's much more than a typical case of a university that has "looked at adding hockey"

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati

Plus the two newest teams had huge start-up donations, well into eight figures. On-campus rink is almost a must.

Then there's Title IX considerations.

Would love to see it happen but am always skeptical when I see rumblings about "new" Division I programs.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Bonk hit the nail on the head with his post. As for conferences (IF it moves beyond speculation,) B1G would be the most likely fit due to geography and the fact that Pitt would help balance out the schedule.

That said, 97% of these "(School) adding hockey" posts on this board are worth the paper they're printed on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->