Pitlick Shows What the Oilers Have Been Missing

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Soundwave, Oct 22, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. Soundwave

Soundwave Registered User

More than adding a D-Man, or a goalie, I noticed the Oilers started to play completely differently once Pitlick (and Gazdic to a lesser extent) started throwing their weight around.

I think it's a psychological thing for this team, we're so used to being on our heels physically that when we see our guys dishing it out the other way -- our whole team relaxes and starts to play more to their ability. When Gionta got pasted by Pitlick I have to imagine a lot of guys on our bench were probably thinking "wow, so that's what it feels like to be on the other end of that".

Less turnovers, better forecheck, more open ice for our skill guys started to follow.

If I'm Mac T I would focus on getting more Tyler Pitlicks onto the roster. Joensuu was a good start too, we need him back in the lineup ASAP, but IMO this is what's going to take us from "rebuilding" team to one that actually competes nightly.

We don't need to trade Yakupov, trade for Lundqvist, draft Ekblad, etc. etc. etc. etc. We need guys who skate and will blast opponents with hits on our 3rd/4th lines. It gives the rest of our lineup a lot of energy.

2. Senor Catface

Senor Catface Registered User

I'll just carry this question over from the PGT, since we can get some Pitlick conversation going.

"I couldn't see the game, but I could follow it online a bit.

When people say Pitlick was playing well, was he positionally playing well, or more just throwing his weight around?

I think we need a bit of both in the same player."

3. stratedge

stratedge My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.

Computer Wiz
    I don't know about crediting him with changing the game, but he is very good at his role. The difference with him is he's not completely lost in his own end like Gazdic is. He can break out, he can carry the puck through the neutral zone, and he can effectively dump and chase.

Very impressive game, he looks like he could be a permanent fixture on the 4th line for a long time.

4. stratedge

stratedge My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.

Computer Wiz
    Basically, he was good defensively, and he was good at getting the puck moving into Montreal's end and then keeping it there. Didn't generate much offence but hit well without giving up anything defensively.

5. Nothing impressive with his play with the puck other than his willingness to chase down his own dump-ins. That being said he wasn't overly successful at re-gaining possession.

What was more impressive was his tenacity with his skating, fore-check, positioning, and ability to read the play while without the puck.

He's someone that's aware when in his own zone, and is capable of properly clearing the puck.

Compared to guys like Jones, Acton, Brown, Eager, and Gazdic - it's a boon.

6. CanadianSuperPromise

CanadianSuperPromise Registered User

He played good, I can see Eakin's really work with him.

7. Soundwave

It's probably more the other team, when they have to take some punishment, they can't as effectively play their game against us, which opens things up for our players.

But it's a huge thing for us, it's something we've been sorely missing.

8. BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce Esquire

t PITS!

He should have made the team out of camp but he didn't obliterate the competition in his last challenge....

I hope he has the steam to be a regular.

9. rasarhdasd

rasarhdasd Registered User

Pitlick played pretty well and at least deserved another game on the 3rd or 4th line. You have to think Eakins/MacT loved to see him through his weight around and not be a liability.

10. Mr Hands

Mr Hands Registered User

we need more gritty players like Perron and Pitlick. They make the idea of acquiring Simmonds and Couturier/B Schenn for one of the big 4 more appealing

11. The Nuge

The Nuge RIP Fugu

He deserves to be here. He's potentially a Matt Martin/Leo Komarov type

12. syz

syz [1, 5, 6, 14]

You mean physical players who can actually play hockey? Yea, who would've thought.

Still too bad that his offense flew off a cliff after he was drafted, but he actually fills more of a need as he is now...

He's like a slower Paajarvi who hits things. Feeble shots from the wall included.

13. Mcnofool6110

Mcnofool6110 #bringbacktheTeddy

I'll be honest, only tuned in to the last half, and he absolutely steamrolled Gionta into the boards and got White/Jones off (which caused the two goals).

The importance of someone in our bottom six being able to, you know, hit, is understated and has been sorely missed on this team. We can have 6 skill guys in our top 6 if we have a bottom 6 that's willing to strike fear into our opponents and not give up anything on defence. From what I've heard, it seems that he's competent on defence and Paajarvian in the offensive zone.

Simply put, Pitlick >> Brown. Also, Pitlick >> Acton. small sample size, but yes.

14. voxel

voxel Knights and Jets Bandwagon

MPS' offensive IQ is elite compared to Pitlick. I've seen both live in the AHL. All Tyler can do is dump and crest shoot. He used to dangle, but haven't seen that in years. He's often injured much like Jonesuu.

15. It also helps playing against the only team that might be softer than the Oilers

16. The Nuge

The Nuge RIP Fugu

:huh: Pitlick has a rocket

17. Rafters

Rafters Registered User

cableguy
    Home Page:
    With his speed, size, defensive awareness, he could be a potential complementary player in the top 9, once Eakins gets a full lineup and can spread offence over 3 lines Pitlick could be the defensive conscious for a couple skill players.

18. Soundwave

We don't need another MPS though.

Honestly if Pitlick keeps doing that every game, even if he doesn't record a point for the season that's just fine.

It changes the game for the opposition and starts to feed the rest of our roster energy. I think we've vitally underestimated the value of these types of players the last few years and its really at the heart of why we've sucked.

All the skill and dipsy doodling in the world doesn't mean much if your roster is under siege physically all night. When the tide shifts in the physical battle, then the game shifts to us.

We need more players that play like Pitlick. It sets off a domino effect which benefits right to the top (Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, etc.).

19. syz

syz [1, 5, 6, 14]

Nothing is a rocket when you're shooting it from the boards just inside the blue line.

20. Mentallydull

Mentallydull Registered User

Agreed.

I saw him take a wrist shot from the wall (the perimeter shooting is something else entirely) but I was amazed at how fast it came off his stick. Usually those are weak floaters.

21. booyakasha

booyakasha Registered User

I thought this place deemed him a bust.

22. alphahelix

alphahelix Registered User

I think what was said is basically accurate. Pitlick does have a strong shot but he is incapable of putting himself in the right position to use it, much like Paajarvi (In the SEL, WC, practice - he actually had a pretty heavy wrister). If either of them are blasting a "rocket", it's going off the glass or a shinpad. There is no scoring threat - their chance of scoring on a shot is well below what should be statistically possible in the NHL.

23. rasarhdasd

rasarhdasd Registered User

3 points in 7 AHL games isn't that bad by any means. I don't think he was given any sort of push the last two seasons either so I'm not sure he'd be completely useless offensively. If he takes a class in the Ryan Jones/Smyth school of garbage goals I'm sure he can get a couple points here and there.

24. The Nuge

The Nuge RIP Fugu

So you're saying that whether it's Stamkos or Smyth shooting, it doesn't matter. They're all the same?

Exactly. You can make a case that he needs to get in better position for the shot, but to claim Pitlick can't shoot is just ridiculous

25. BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce Esquire

now they just need to figure out how to use Larsen and the training camp will be complete.