Pitkanen vs Phaneuf

Status
Not open for further replies.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I haven't really seen anyone put these 2 guys up against eachother. Who do you think will have the better upside. I personally think that they will both be great and I'm having a hard time figuring out which will be better.

Phaneuf reminds me of Stevens and Pitkanen reminds me of Lidstrom. I'd take either one. Thoughts?

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
It is way too close to call, I think with either 1 you are giving a future top defenseman.

IMO, I see the following:

Joni is a better passer, while Phaneuf has the bigger shot. Both will be vital on the PP. One has the setup pass, the other had the huge shot. I think Phaneuf has the physical edge, while Joni may be a betetr skater (Phaneuf is no slow boy though either). As for leadership I know Phaneuf is a future captain but I don't know about Joni (because I don't know about him to that extent).

Once again I would take either guy and not look back. Imagine have BOTH of them on the same team...WOW!

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Right now, Pitkanen looks like a very, very impressive upcoming D-Man.

But for me, right now, Phaneuf looks like a complete all-star D-Man...

I'd pick Phaneuf hoping i dont make a mistake.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
You cannot make a mistake here. It´s just a question of which style you like more...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As long as this doesn't become a "are you kidding me, of course Phaneuf!" thread, it should be filled with some interesting comments. Phaneuf is obviously more hyped, but as a ranger fan I can promise you that I absolutely dread seeing Pitkanen 8 times a year for the next decade. That is until Staal eclipses the both of them... :)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Once again I would take either guy and not look back. Imagine have BOTH of them on the same team...WOW!

Flyers were just two picks away from making that happen. As much as I like Carter, that would have been very nice. IMO they'll be the two best defenseman in the game and vie for Norris trophies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
markzab79 said:
Phaneuf reminds me of Stevens and Pitkanen reminds me of Lidstrom. I'd take either one. Thoughts?

Pitkanen often gets compared to Lidstrom, but it really isn't a good comparison other than that they're both European and both extremely talented.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Salming said:
The funny thing is that Niklas Kronwall will be the defenseman of their era.

:biglaugh:

And right now, I will take Pitkanen. Seen them both and Joni impresses me more than any other defenseman in the entire league.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Can't go wrong with either - both are future norris winners (IMHO). Pitkanen will prolly put up slightly better points while Phaneuf's physical game will go unmatched.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
markzab79 said:
I haven't really seen anyone put these 2 guys up against eachother. Who do you think will have the better upside. I personally think that they will both be great and I'm having a hard time figuring out which will be better.

just about to say the same thing, pit reminds me of lidstrom definitely, phaneuf reminds me of stevens definitely... me and my friend tried to figure out which might be better, we both came to the conclusion we would take a stevens or a lidstrom on a team anyday of the week...

basically a tie, but if i HAD to pick, id take pitkanen since lidstrom is just amazing to us detroit fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad