Pitkanen or Tyutin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim Pickens

Jun 20, 2004
Which of these two would you rather have over a career based on potential and their current team (situation)? Does Tyutin have an edge due to the rebuilding phase in NY in terms of ice time and development? Or, is Pitkanen far ahead of Tyutin and playing for the Flyers with experienced vets around him will only make him better?

I am interested to get your opinions on this.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
That's a joke right? Pitkanen by 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
km

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
uhh.. Joni Pitkanen by a mile. Tyutin will be a good defensemen for the Rangers and is our #1 defensemen for the future, Pitkanen will be a great defensemen, maybe the League's top defensemen in a few years.

Slim Pickens

Jun 20, 2004
I myself think that Pitkanen is ahead of Tyutin but will it stay that way over time? Will Tyutin forever be in Pitkanen's shadow?

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
Pitkanen easily, however dont dismiss Tjutin, he has great upside and will be a top two defenseman for a long time. He's already proved that he is ready for the NHL and more than capable.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I agree that Pitkanen is the choice but I doubt you would see "Pitkanen by 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000", if Tyutin was a prospect of a team other than the Rangers.

Pure anti-Ranger bias

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
E-Train said:
I agree that Pitkanen is the choice but I doubt you would see "Pitkanen by 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000", if Tyutin was a prospect of a team other than the Rangers.

Pure anti-Ranger bias

That just seems like Pure Pitkanen over-hyping to me

but what do i know? :dunno:

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
To answer the question - I would rather have Pitkanen now based on potential but my opinion is not as decisive as some of the other replies.
Ptkanen is said to have the decisive advantage over Tyutin with regards to offensive upside while the two are comparable on defense. Well if you look at their #'s so far you will see that Pitkanen averaged .38 points per game on a very good team throughout the course of a full NHL season. Tyutin averaged a comparable .28 PPG on a very bad team through the course of a 25 game stretch at the end of the season. Throw in the fact that Joni already has had two concussions under his belt in his very first NHL season and you know what......it's not as decisive as you may think. Again, I would rather have Pitkanen right now, but if you ask the majority that same question two years from now, you may have a different response.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
BLACKBURN said:
Pitkanen easily, however dont dismiss Tjutin, he has great upside and will be a top two defenseman for a long time. He's already proved that he is ready for the NHL and more than capable.

I must disagree with you on this. Pitkanen made the jump to the NHL because Philly knew he was ready, wouldn't hurt them, and would become much better with experience. The same cannot be said for Tyutin. He has made the jump out of necessity, and truth be told had he belonged to many other teams around the league he wold still not have been playing. For his sake, I hope he doesn't burn out, as countless prospects do from being thrown to the wolves too soon! If they are not ready, they must be given time to learn. Pitkanen is a very steady D man now, and with some more experience has the chance to be scary good. He is a very well balanced player already. He plays solid D, can play it physical or finesse, and has a huge offensive upside, that will no doubt be realized in the years to come. I still think Feaster was a complete moron for making that draft day deal that secured him Ruslan Fedotenko, even if he played a significant role in Tampa's run to the CUP! Pitkanen is for real! Tyutin...who knows?

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Puckhead said:
I still think Feaster was a complete moron for making that draft day deal that secured him Ruslan Fedotenko, even if he played a significant role in Tampa's run to the CUP! Pitkanen is for real! Tyutin...who knows?

Yeah, that deal still seems strange to me. I couldn't believe when they gave up that pick for him.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Pitkanen reminds me of Rob Blake as far as his ability to get involved in the offensive zone. He is not just a quarterback who sits at the point and unleashes rockets. He can do more. Of course, that will come with time.

And it remains to be seen how physical he can be in this league but I am optimistic. I think he has fan-favorite potential as far as Ds in this league because of his style.

I prefer Jay Bo to him but that's it. I like him better than any other young Ds.

The upside is very high and the team situation fits. Based on those two factors, there is no way I would consider Tyutin right now.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I might be in the really minor minority but I prefer Tyutin, mainly because I was never as impressed by Pitkanen as everyone else. He's already had injury problems including a concussion and hasn't yet proven to me that he can stand the physical strain of an NHL season, and while he played with great composure through most of the regular season he had some major lapses once the playoffs started and the strain began to get to him. I see him as a quality point guy on the powerplay, but not as a Norris-caliber defenseman because aside from that I just don't think he's solid enough in his own end. I like the guy, but I don't see in him the superstar others do.

Tyutin isn't one either, but I like Tyutin's mix of offense and defense as well as physicality more than Pitkanen's one way game.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Flame_Star_Devil said:
I might be in the really minor minority but I prefer Tyutin, mainly because I was never as impressed by Pitkanen as everyone else. He's already had injury problems including a concussion and hasn't yet proven to me that he can stand the physical strain of an NHL season, and while he played with great composure through most of the regular season he had some major lapses once the playoffs started and the strain began to get to him. I see him as a quality point guy on the powerplay, but not as a Norris-caliber defenseman because aside from that I just don't think he's solid enough in his own end. I like the guy, but I don't see in him the superstar others do.

Tyutin isn't one either, but I like Tyutin's mix of offense and defense as well as physicality more than Pitkanen's one way game.

Pitkanen was very solid in his own end. he led the Flyers in +/- for most of the season. Was he as goon in the playoffs or at the very end of the season as he was during the first 60 or so games ??? No, he wasn't.

IMO that had more to do with playing his first season in North America. The Flyers played 100 games + preseason, where Pitkanen was used to playing in the neighborhood of 50 or so games a year.

The only question mark is will he stay healthy enough, which I tend to think he will. He'll learn to protect himself some more, as well as fill out (he'll eventually play areound 220 lbs.)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It's not really close at this point. Pitkanen's upside is just significantly higher than Tjutin's. In fact, the only young d-man I'd take over Pitkanen is Bouwmeester. Tjutin's solid in just about every aspect, but he's not spectacular and while he could be a very solid top pairing defenceman, Pitkanen is on the fast track to be in that Lidstrom/Blake/Niedermayer level of defenceman: those who are Norris contenders every year.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Puckhead said:
I still think Feaster was a complete moron for making that draft day deal that secured him Ruslan Fedotenko, even if he played a significant role in Tampa's run to the CUP! Pitkanen is for real! Tyutin...who knows?

I would do that deal any day of the week since it ended up as it did.....you play this game for the Cup....Feaster's team won it with his aquistion of Fedotenko, who played a very significant role, will only get better and is still on the younger side.....i questioned the deal too but hey they got the cup....will it hurt their defense in the future? probably but they won the cup and thats what this is about

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
Puckhead said:
I must disagree with you on this. Pitkanen made the jump to the NHL because Philly knew he was ready, wouldn't hurt them, and would become much better with experience. The same cannot be said for Tyutin. He has made the jump out of necessity, and truth be told had he belonged to many other teams around the league he wold still not have been playing. For his sake, I hope he doesn't burn out, as countless prospects do from being thrown to the wolves too soon! If they are not ready, they must be given time to learn. Pitkanen is a very steady D man now, and with some more experience has the chance to be scary good. He is a very well balanced player already. He plays solid D, can play it physical or finesse, and has a huge offensive upside, that will no doubt be realized in the years to come. I still think Feaster was a complete moron for making that draft day deal that secured him Ruslan Fedotenko, even if he played a significant role in Tampa's run to the CUP! Pitkanen is for real! Tyutin...who knows?

I must disagree with you as you are talking out of your ass and obviously have no knowledge of the Rangers or Tjutin.

"he was ready"

And Tjutin was'nt? Lets see, he was our best defenceman at the end of the season, played an average of over 20 minutes a game, had 7 points in just 25 games including a highlight reel goal against te Panthers and was sound defensively.

"wouldn't hurt them"

Tjutin was our best defenseman and we had nothing to lose, so how he hurt us is beyond me.

"would become much better with experience"

Dont all players?

"He has made the jump out of necessity"

No, he made the jump because he was ready, as he showed (if you actually watched a game).

"being thrown to the wolves too soon!"

At 21 years old and 6'2 217 lbs, he is hardly menatlly or physically imature.

"Tyutin...who knows?"

You sure as hell dont becausse YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED TJUTIN PLAY ON A REGULAR BASIS. Next year catch a few Ranger games and then come back with a vaild opinion.

As I've said before I would take Pitkanen any day of the week, however I will educate posters who have no idea about players they are making such bold statements about.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Puckhead said:

blackburn already covered this, but you annoyed me enough with this post that i actually created an accuont for the sole purpose of responding to it, so i'm going to do it

up front i'd say that i'd in all likelyhood take pitkanen over tjutin...right now pitkanen is the better player and he is more likely to fulfill his great upside..being on a solid flyers team certainly helps as wel.

but your thoughts on tjutin are way off...he made the jump cuz he was ready...he would have made it earlier but he tweaked his knee around december last year right when the rangers were gonna call him up. like blackburn pointed out...21 years old, 6'2 217 lbs...the guy is ready size wise and he can handle the NHL game. i'll even go further and say this guy needs a challenge to bring out the best in him...he showed more playing in the NHL than he did playing in the AHL. whether it's cuz russians aren't fond of the AHL or he was holding back more under the pack's system...i'm not sure. but in his 25 games in the NHL, he showed he has the decision making, the skills, and the poise to play a very effective NHL game. of course he needs more experience, he did make mistakes that you'd expect out of NHL rookies...but if you had watched him you'd know he showed a LOT in those 25 games on a messed up rangers team composed of spare parts.

in my opinion, tjutin has the potential to be better defensively than pitkanen, and play more physical...he can throw some huge hits, is already great along the boards (uses his body very effectively along the boards to gain control of the puck) can clear the crease, never panics, has good skating ability, very good passing and shooting skills, can carry the puck down the ice very effectively...tjutin has everything to easily be a top pairing defenseman, maybe not a complete #1, but definatly top pairing. and to be honest...i think he has a ton more skill than most people give him credit for...this probably sounds like a real homer to be saying this but if he really maximized his potential i think he could be a clear #1 defenseman in the NHL. but i don't think it's as likely he'll do that as it will be he'll just be a real good defenseman. but the guy seriously is loaded with talent and if he pushes himself he could be a damn scary defenseman...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
As much as I think Pitkanen will be great I feel Tjutin will be better. New Jersey played New York late in the year and Tjutin really impressed me with his all round game. He was physical mean and made nice breakout passes. Expect a great season next year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
JasonMacIsaac said:
As much as I think Pitkanen will be great I feel Tjutin will be better. New Jersey played New York late in the year and Tjutin really impressed me with his all round game. He was physical mean and made nice breakout passes. Expect a great season next year.

Wow, it's interesting to see some of the Devils' fans comming out and supporting Tjutin.

I love both prospects. I'll have to say that Pitkanen has the potential to be better than Tjutin, but it's just potential. Both have it, and myabe both will realize it.

Tjutin can be a star in the league. Hopefully he accomplishes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->