Proposal: PIT - WPG

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
Marcus Pettersson
For
Andrew Copp

Not sure if anything needs added here but obviously Pettersson fills a big need for WPG. The Pens give up a young, cost controlled top 4 d-man and finally get the 3C they've been looking for. Marino is good enough that the Pens can afford to use a lesser LD alongside Marino.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
The value is probably there but I'm not so sure we need to be giving up our depth assets to fill a LHD shortage that doesn't really exist. We have prospects coming up this year that should be able to fill LHD gaps. On the right side, yeah, we could use someone similar.

Fair enough. I don't have any knowledge of WPG prospects or NHL readiness.

In theory you could trade one of your LD prospects to Buffalo who have an excess of RHD and get both Pettersson and a RHD but that's a lot of moving parts.

Copp strikes me as the type to be worth more to pittsburgh than most teams. We don't need a lot of offense from the 3C position. Plus he already has chemistry with Tanev.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
One of the more balanced trade ideas I have seen lately. Good job.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The value is there but we need a righty. I think Copp plans on bolting when he is a UFA anyways so if we could find a righty version of this deal it's not a terrible idea.
I agree with all of the above. I also think Harkins makes Copp expendable, so in a way, trading him seems sort of like playing with house money.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think the Jets can afford to trade Copp. We lost key PKers in Armia and Tanev in back to back years, Little for potentially his career, plus 4 PKing defensemen. Copp is kind of a core player for us, on the defensive side, and has a good relationship with our two alternates. I'm sure Pittsburgh would love him to centre their 4th line, but that's a probably not a trade we visit this year, unless it goes south.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad