Trade: [PIT/TB] Chris Archer for Tyler Glasnow, Austin Meadows and Shane Baz

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor from this one...the Pirates, really? I'm no Glasnow fan but geez this is like six months after committing to a rebuild trading Cole, Cutch, etc - now they're doing a total about face. They do keep him from going to the Brewers possibly I suppose.
They rewarded the team and fanbase because they're in it.

I love it.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's a huge return value wise for TB. Think if I'm the Pirates I would have just kept Cole though???

They wanted to keep Cole but unfortunately he is heading towards free agency and they don't have the money to keep him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They rewarded the team and fanbase because they're in it.

I love it.

I wish they'd done it in their 98-win season and other years when they were more of a legit contender than now. They missed their best opportunities.

Nice for the Pirates to be buyers at the deadline, they are still in the wild card hunt still.

The second WC, which they're three games back of. And that's their only avenue in, they won't catch the Cubs/Brewers.

Reactions: TNT87

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like this trade a lot for the Pirates. At the end of the day, it's finally committing fully to a direction, and to this solid but boring and unspectacular core of players. It's become clear that Huntington will not do a traditional rebuild, so this is as close as possible to loading up, and it's been done in such a way that we have 2.5-3 years further after this season, as well as retaining most of our top prospects (in a ho hum system) to potentially retool around when the time comes.

I'm sold on Archer getting a boost by coming to the NL generally, and a pitchers' park.

Meadows and Glasnow are both good gets for the Rays, but are potentially the kind of guys whose shine could begin to wear off within a calendar year. Meadows has had injuries and has never really excelled in the upper minors. Glasnow has flashed some brilliance out of the pen this year, but I'd place his odds of becoming a front line starter pretty low. It sounds like the TB pitching coach is a best case scenario for him, and I still think he'll become a useful MLB contributor, especially in the Rays pitching system.

The PTBNL could end up tilting this more in the Rays direction, but both of these guys were somewhat blocked in Pittsburgh for the forseeable future. I also wouldn't write off the Pirates for the division. We have tons of games remaining vs both the Brewers and Cubs, and we've played much better against the division than in any recent season, which I think is in large part because nobody in the division is a truly dominant force. It's a safe bet that a very difficult stretch of games that began tonight will keep us contained within the dog fight that is the NL wild card race, but I have to confess some recency bias in thinking that 6 games is not an insurmountable deficit... given that we went from being totally dead in the water about 3 weeks ago to this.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Remember the Cole, Taillon and Glasnow hype...

Glasnow's a project....major command issues and below average 3rd pitch in his changeup that needs improvement if he'll ever be that top of the rotation guy he was drafted to be

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Glasnow has been nearly unhittable in 3 starts with a limited pitch count so far and was touching 100 in his last start. Looks like a hell of a nice return for TB.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Glasnow has been nearly unhittable in 3 starts with a limited pitch count so far and was touching 100 in his last start. Looks like a hell of a nice return for TB.
Yeah this trade made no sense for the Pirates. They need to pick a direction and stick to it.

Reactions: Evil Speaker

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Thank you, Pittsburgh. Not even a small sample hindsight thing. This was a horrible trade at the time. As a fan of a division rival I'm absolutely over the moon.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Years of stockpiling prospects to do nothing when the team needs injected with talent...and then now it becomes acceptable to throw the kitchen sink at an overrated pitcher because the team is average instead of mediocre?

I know if it's damned if you do, damned if you don't...but just be f***ing smart for once, Pirates. Don't grossly overpay for a guy just to get a positive newspaper headline for once.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Years of stockpiling prospects to do nothing when the team needs injected with talent...and then now it becomes acceptable to throw the kitchen sink at an overrated pitcher because the team is average instead of mediocre?

I know if it's damned if you do, damned if you don't...but just be ****ing smart for once, Pirates. Don't grossly overpay for a guy just to get a positive newspaper headline for once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad