Trade: [PIT/TB] Chris Archer for Tyler Glasnow, Austin Meadows and Shane Baz

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pirates have Marte for 3 more seasons, Polanco for 5 more seasons and some decent OF prospects.

Meadows is a very nice piece but you gotta give to get.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Glasnow can't throw strikes, love Meadows though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor from this one...the Pirates, really? I'm no Glasnow fan but geez this is like six months after committing to a rebuild trading Cole, Cutch, etc - now they're doing a total about face. They do keep him from going to the Brewers possibly I suppose.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
That's a huge return value wise for TB. Think if I'm the Pirates I would have just kept Cole though???
The Pirates wouldn’t have been able to pay Cole what he would want (well, they could, but they’ve relegated themselves to spend like a small market team even though their owner is rich as hell). The years of control they have over Archer and his salary is much more palatable to them.

I said this on the Pens board earlier. I think this trade is probably fair, but it’s likely that both teams are overrating the players they’re getting. I don’t think Archer is a total game changer, but I also am not sure that either Glasnow or Meadows will become that as well. Glasnow has been horribly erratic this season. Looks like the next big thing one appearance, and can’t find the strike zone with a map his next time up. Meadows had a disappointing time in the minors, got called up and set the world on fire (even got named NL Rookie of the Month) then tailed off before being sent back down. Although to be fair, I don’t think the Pirates put him in the best situation to thrive as they were using a 4-man OF rotation.

Short term, I think the Pirates are better off. But if Glasnow and Meadows can ever figure it out, the Rays oughta have two good players moving forward. And we’ll also have to see who the PTBNL turns out to be.

Reactions: iamjs

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor from this one...the Pirates, really? I'm no Glasnow fan but geez this is like six months after committing to a rebuild trading Cole, Cutch, etc - now they're doing a total about face. They do keep him from going to the Brewers possibly I suppose.

More of a retool. Musgrove/Moran(cole trade) are helping the Pirates now and Crick(cutch trade) has been huge for them. While also getting solid OF prospects in Jason Martin and Bryan Reynolds who are a year away from contributing. So they could afford to trade Meadows. And have Dickerson signed thru next year. Also drafted Swaggerty 10th overall whos very similar to Meadows and should be ready by the time theyll need another OF.

Glasnow was a top prospect for a couple years but still hasnt put it together. Still young , and has great stuff ....needs to gain confidence.

Good trade for both teams. And for Pitt its more than just the player they got. They finally made a serious trade and created a 3 year window to be contenders.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If a similar package was being asked from all interested teams, I’m real happy the Braves moved on. Man, what a take by the Rays.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As much as I hate to see Meadows go, OF are easier to find than proven SP with cost certainty, you have to give something to get something, hopefully getting out of the AL East will help Archer reach a higher level

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The best thing about Archer is his contract, this guy is no ace. Still a nice addition to their rotation though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad