Proposal: Pit/Stl: Justin Faulk for Jack Johnson

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I shot the idea out there in the Petrangelo thread and Blues fans didn't hate it. I thought I'd make it it's own thread to expand upon it.

Johnson is 33 and Makes 3.25x3 years. When he is on the ice, his team is worse. I'm not an advanced stats guy but his CF%, FF%, and xGF% are all in the 45-47% range. Not ideal.

Justin Faulk is 28 and is signed to an eye-watering 6.5 million, seven year contract. He is a useful defensemen still but not remotely worth that much money. He doesn't provide much more offense than JJ (5 more points in the abbreviated season). His advanced stats aren't horrible; His
CF%, FF%, and xGF% are all 50%, so he basically is neutral in this regard. But that contract is an albatross and is hampering a Pietrangelo extension.

So, Faulk for Johnson straight-up. Penguins get the better player, Blues get the better contract and they have 3.25 more cap space to go for Pietrangelo.

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Faulk
Ruhwedel

Parayko-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Dunn
Gunnarson-Bortuzzo
Johnson

Who says no?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Doesn't JR love JJ? I doubt he'd want to move him.

I'd do it from the Blues perspective, but I am not sure that Doug Armstrong would. The $3.25m saved opens up enough for Pietrangelo without a problem.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Although, having just looked at the contract, it's $9M real dollars the next two years. Doubt Pittsburgh would be excited about that-- and maybe makes it an easier sell for STL.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It isn't a terrible idea for the Blues for many reasons, but I wonder a bit why Pittsburgh does it unless it is related to moving Letang out. You still have Letang and Marino on the right side.

From the Blues perspective, I think the most useful part of this trade (as someone mentioned in the Pietrangelo thread) would be to immediately buy Johnson out. We have a couple of league minimum-ELC players that could fill the void, and the combined cap hits from the buyout and the replacement player for the coming season would be roughly $2M versus Faulk's $6.5M hit. We'd probably still need one more move (albeit a smaller one) to fit both Pietrangelo and Dunn's extensions after this move, but $9.6M in cap space sounds a lot better than $5.1M in space.

Year three of Johnson's buyout has a bit of a spike in the cap hit, but not so much that it can't be worked around. On the other hand, as probably one of the bottom 1/3 of franchises in terms of real cash, the Blues would be paying Johnson less than $1M this year to go away instead of paying Faulk $9M to play. That's not nothing to a team so dependent on gate revenue, and makes it easier to build in a signing bonus for Pietrangelo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1:1, I think the Penguins say no. JJ is, at the very least, somewhat manageable at 3.25mil for the next 3. There is more of a possibility of swapping him in a crap for crap as well. Once you commit to Faulk for $6.5m for 7 years, that's much more difficult to manage and carries a lot more risk given Faulk's performance.

Sorry, I think the Penguins need an extra incentive. Maybe the 1st or Barbrashev or a quality prospect. Something to counter the risk. Ideally, a young center.

Keep in mind, the Pens taking Faulk allows STL to resign Pietrangelo. That's quite the favor. Certainly more gratuitous than StL taking JJ...

If JR was shrewd, he'd float this idea of the swap and then let it leak to other Central division GMs and other Pietro suitors. Then see if there isn't another team willing to snag JJ to keep this from happening...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why not just buy out JJ. It seems like the cheapest solution.

Jack Johnson Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2x4ays.jpg

Heh, the Pittsburgh Penguins do not...heh..."buy out" players, good sir.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I shot the idea out there in the Petrangelo thread and Blues fans didn't hate it. I thought I'd make it it's own thread to expand upon it.

Johnson is 33 and Makes 3.25x3 years. When he is on the ice, his team is worse. I'm not an advanced stats guy but his CF%, FF%, and xGF% are all in the 45-47% range. Not ideal.

Justin Faulk is 28 and is signed to an eye-watering 6.5 million, seven year contract. He is a useful defensemen still but not remotely worth that much money. He doesn't provide much more offense than JJ (5 more points in the abbreviated season). His advanced stats aren't horrible; His
CF%, FF%, and xGF% are all 50%, so he basically is neutral in this regard. But that contract is an albatross and is hampering a Pietrangelo extension.

So, Faulk for Johnson straight-up. Penguins get the better player, Blues get the better contract and they have 3.25 more cap space to go for Pietrangelo.

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Faulk
Ruhwedel

Parayko-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Dunn
Gunnarson-Bortuzzo
Johnson

Who says no?
I like the premise of this deal for the the blues (cause it rids of them of a very problematic contract) but I don’t understand it from Justin Faulk’s perspective.
I can’t imagine he envisioned waiving his no trade clause one year into the deal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pass. Faulk is actually solid, JJ sucks. We don’t need to do this to clear cap space. We can find better options.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
As nice as the idea of trading away Faulk is for St. Louis. I can't see a world where the GM traded for the guy, signed him to a big contract and then trades him away as a mistake before it even begins.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ew no thanks.

You see that contract of Faulk's?. He can barely outscore JJ, yet JJ can probably defend better. And makes half as much for half as long.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I am not sold that Faulk's deal is moveable right now, until that real $$$ salary goes down, unless you find a wealthy big market team willing to swallow it.

EDIT: Faulk got a NTC? What the hell.

upload_2020-9-18_16-11-55.png

Reactions: kb

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Faulk is overpaid no question, but he is much better than Jack Johnson.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
What motivates Pittsburgh to do this. Faulk’s contract is already an albatross and it hasn’t even started yet.

7 x $6.5m AAV... 7 years!!!

I wouldn’t trade James Neal for Justin Faulk.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Dumolin-Letang
Petterson-Marino
Riikola-Faulk
Ruhwedel

Parayko-Pietrangelo
Scandella-Dunn
Gunnarson-Bortuzzo
Johnson

Who says no?

The only reason STL considers something like this is if it's part of making room for AP. It's hard to imagine there aren't easier ways to make $3M in capspace than taking back $3M of completely dead cap for three years.

What motivates Pittsburgh to do this. Faulk’s contract is already an albatross and it hasn’t even started yet.

7 x $6.5m AAV... 7 years!!!

I wouldn’t trade James Neal for Justin Faulk.

both say no.
Pens no b'c adding way too much $ and term

Blues no b'c does not help now.
3 yrs of EJ is brutal, and also Blues not poor but StL not made out of $ either.
There are no compliance buyouts.
It would be less than full pop, but buyouts will cost i.e, be felt over time.

Best strategy for St.L is to eat third to a half on Faulk now before he completely falls apart in coupla years, and don't expect any fantasy return he is worth something, b'c the term is crippling.

But a team that takes him for 4ish can flip him for 2-2.5 ish.

THAT is the only way I see to get out from under that.
Short of LTIR or retirement, which do not apply at present.

Of course, you have to incentivize 2 teams to work with you on such a deal, and even still that term is gonna extract a hurt.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pass. JJ is cheaper with less term and we can put him in AHL and subtract 1M off his cap hit. Or buy him out and not give a f*** about 6 years at a cheap dead cap space hit.

JR felt sorry for JJ and gave him a shit contract, felt sorry for Leafs and gave up 15th OA+ for Kapanen, don't feel bad for Blues because their captain can't stick around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad